Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 387 of 495 FirstFirst ... 287337377383384385386387388389390391397437487 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,805 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks so much for all of the encouraging words. Luckily, that was my last "mandatory" training ride for this upcoming 100-mile charity ride. (Being new, I had to complete 2). I'm doing the ride with a small team of GREAT people, so now I can relax and just ride with them on my own time to prepare. When I told my own team leader about it, she was horrified and said she had a similar experience on her 1st training ride with this group, and she was going to email the organizer ASAP to share my story.

Geesh. You really don't expect to be a victim of what I can only call bullying as an adult woman!

"Drivetrain-side" has been cracking me up, lph, as have many of the other dear so-and-so stories. This is the 1st time I've ever participated in an online forum - I'm more of a post-reader than a post-er (which I've been jokingly told makes me a "stalker"?) - but what a great place to get started. Looking FW to reading all the info I can and probably asking a few questions soon too.

Dear woman trying to sell a used sleeping bag,

I know it's a high-falutin' expensive down bag, and I know that it costs twice as much new as you're asking for it now. But you haven't been able to sell it for 2500 for 6 weeks, and couldn't even answer my two simple questions about it. So when I say politely that my budget is only up to 2000 and ask if you're willing to sell it for that, you COULD just say "sorry, no".

Instead of a snotty "Everybody tries to haggle. And I think it's worth 2500." Well, I think your karma just bit you on the butt, because I'm sure not buying from you.

PS. I got such a kick out of finding out that you're a Feng Shui consultant. Hmm, now what was all that about "positive energy flow"?
    Last edited by lph; 05-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I never vent, but I feel like I could cry.

Dear Passive-Aggressive co-worker in the next cube.

It could be tourettes.
    But more likely, it is just your personality and ill health.
    White noise helps some, but not enough. You are driving me crazy.
    Burp. Excuse me. Burp. Excuse me. Sigh. Sigh. Burp. Excuse me.
    All. Day. Long.

You talk out of one side of your mouth to anyone who asks that you love your *new* job, and then you ***** about it all day long. You hated your old boss and you *LOVE* your new bosses yet you compare your new bosses to your old bosses under your breath.

I can't get any work done. Your burping, sighing, hacking up guk, complaining, muttering to self, humming and hemming is just - I'm going insane. Insane, I tell ya. I get to the end of the day and I rush out to listen to traffic and sirens. Anything. And then, to make things worse, I find myself doing this at home:

{little cough} "oh, excuse me."

Arrrgerereererrrrrgh!!!!

I guess it's time for the noise cancelling headphones.

Sincerely,

Near tears since you moved next door...
    I can do five more miles.

Oh my, indigoiss. That sounds just awful. I spent a weekend with a friend of a friend once who burped constantly, sang random songs just barely under his breath, and generally exhibited a lot of nervous tics and behaviors. I almost went off the deep end before the weekend was over. He's a nice guy; just pretty strange. I can't imagine putting up with it every work day. Ugh.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Dear 61% of the voters in my state:

You suck. You really suck. I've never been this ashamed of where I live. Blergh.

Dear BIL:

We are moving in 10 days. I know we're a convenient pit stop on your drive, and I'm trying to accommodate you. I'm sorry that I asked you to bring a blanket and pillow because all of the extras are packed. And I'm sorry that all I can offer you is a futon. However, it would be really nice if you could tell me at least a few hours ahead of time whether you're planning to come, or whether it's too much trouble to stay with us since your 2 passengers might not leave room for said items. We do have a life, and I don't have time for it to be on hold for you all day tomorrow. You're too old for this cr@p. You do it every.single.time.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

((Blueberry)) - sorry to read of the additional stress from the family. BTDT, hang in there.

Yikes Indigoiis, that isn't fun at all. Noise canceling headphones are great...I've found I can't hear my phone ring when they are turned on though - they work that well. I solved that by moving the phone where I can see the blinking light when it rings.

As for me, I am more than a little depressed. It/I will be fine, I just need to get out for some serious riding time in the next few days - it's just related to a couple of hard choices. A combination of bike endorphins and vitamin D will help
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-09-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Catrin, are you doing OK?
    I've never heard you say you're depressed before...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, are you doing OK?
    I've never heard you say you're depressed before...
    Yes I am, just dealing with the consequences of some choices I made that have come to a head. I used to have major problems with depression but not for a long time - and I know myself well enough to know this is "just" situational. Bike endorphins and sunshine will help. The details don't matter, but it helps to have a place where I can acknowledge it and keep moving forward as I do what I need to do. Amazing what a difference that makes.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-09-2012 at 04:49 AM.

((((((Catrin)))))) Hang in there, hope you get some good bike time soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Catrin, I feel for ya. Bike time will definitely help. And thanks for the suggestions!

I started using simplynoise.com yesterday after I posted that... and man, as dubious as I was, it really helps. I also moved my monitor to a different part of my desk so now I am facing the cube wall where cubemate is on the other side. I put a mirror above my monitor so that I can see people enter my cube. I hope it works. It seems to be working a little so far.

She swears a lot too. Loudly. That, I still hear.

But I feel kind of badly because I think she really does have Tourette's.

I wish she would get a bike. It would probably help her.
    I can do five more miles.

(((((Catrin))))) Feel better soon. Depressed is a sucky place to be in.

Indigoiis, that burping? Sounds like my parents on a bad day. They both have GERD and a bad day goes like "Urp. Excuse me. Urp. Urp. URRRRP. Urp. Urp" with the occasional dry heaving thrown in. Oh and the hiccups too. It happens so much I've gotten used to it. But yes, definitely noise-cancelling earphones help. I believe somewhere out there exists these ear plugs with white noise, those might be helpful too. And discreet.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

(((Catrin)))
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    You suck. You really suck. I've never been this ashamed of where I live. Blergh.
    Ridiculous, isn't it? Still, I was very proud to see that Orange County voted NO by 79% to 21%. And the entire Triangle (Wake, Durham, Orange, and Chatham) voted NO. Since I'll be returning to that area before too long (I hope), I'm proud to inhabit a tiny bastion of sensibility in a sea of ignorance and fear.

Hope your family issues are behind you soon. You have really had more than your share to bear in that department!

Where are you moving, if you are willing to say? PM me if you like!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post

Dear Blue - I'm very glad to know you're part of the 39% who understood the widespread ramifications. Hang in there with the BIL.

~SK
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Dear Coworker;

Do you really think you have been "given" a "bad" group of kids for the last four years? Seriously, I am tired of hearing that I have all "the kids who care", "all the supportive parents", "all the kids who can think". And that it's been this way for four years now.

Maybe it's not the kids. Whenever I tell you about something cool going on in my class, you say, "Oh, my kids couldn't do that." Have you tried? Yeah, we talked about Pythogorean Theorem in class the other day. Most of the kids didn't get the formula, but they loved seeing it work when they drew out right angles with sides of 3 and 4 and 6 and 8. So what if it's a 7th grade standard. It's your job to teach them to think. That means pushing them out of their comfort zone.

When we meet to divide out classes for next year, you better voice your concerns. You're the one who thinks things have been done unfairly in the past. Although I took two of your "bad" kids from last year and have turned them around and you have repeatedly said some of my students would drive you batty!

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 05-10-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com