Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 496 of 496 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 7440

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We stopped speaking to my BIL and family, when he set up a Go Fund Me page supposedly for his daughter who had leukemia. He had insurance and a good job. They wanted a new house... his daughter is fine after a bone marrow transplant (so we hear), but she got a Make a Wish Trip to "go shopping."
    I think that's wrong. Her parents could take her shopping.
    Wow. I knew people were taking advantage of it, but that's ridiculous. Don't blame you for cutting them out of your lives. Some people have zero ethical compass and feel no shame!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    What really got me about these (ex-)friends was when the wife looked me in the eye and asked me, "what days will you be taking our children while we're on vacation?" Not "can you please help out" but "when will you take them." So I said "none." I'm sure the look on my face said much more than that.
    On my. That's some entitlement. Don't blame you one bit. We're expecting we'll get a similar request from the BIL one day. He has one, they want more - and they are travel obsessed (while we're been saving money for retirement, etc.). Hopefully her mom will take them (they bought a gigantic house with an extra wing for her) - but nothing would surprise me.

I've also become frustrated by the many, many go fund me pages out there. It seems like half of our local news stories have funding pages attached to them. I realize there's a lot of hurt and need in the world, but at some point, it gets excessive.

Thanks also for the sympathies on the medical school situation. There's not really much we can do - graduate, get the MD, and move on. Doubt I will have forgotten when they ask for donations, though (actually, they already are). Trying to keep the debt down so that I don't have to make a decision based on earning potential - as some of my classmates who will be 200-300k in debt (for a state school) will have to.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    This reminds me of a situation years ago with some friends (who are now ex-friends). They had two young children at the time. They believed that vacations were supposed to be for adults only, not children. So they planned elaborate trips to Europe just for the two of them. And expected their family and friends to take care of the kids while they were away. So grandfather took the kids for a couple of days, one friend took them for a weekend, another friend took them for a few days. I was appalled. When we were growing up, sometimes my parents would go away for a weekend on their own, but real vacations included all of us. And we never had much money so the trips were to visit relatives, or to go camping someplace close to a historic site. Anyway. What really got me about these (ex-)friends was when the wife looked me in the eye and asked me, "what days will you be taking our children while we're on vacation?" Not "can you please help out" but "when will you take them." So I said "none." I'm sure the look on my face said much more than that.

(This actually was not the reason they became ex-friends. But that's a story for another day.)
    Wow, NY! And Crankin. So, doesn't sound like I'm
    Imaging it, then? I've considered asking if he were unemployed, again. that would be
    Tacky, though. So--.

Some people just take take take.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Oh, and NY? What really strikes me is they are asking friends to take their kids. Most of the unexpected child abuse happens with someone the parent trusts. They farm out their kids over and over, the chances increase. Blergh. They put their kids at risk to go on vacation.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

NY, that story is terrible. If you want to travel without your kids, then hire a babysitter, like I did, or ASK the grandparents. I was lucky that I had several people who I hired, some relatives, some co-workers, as well as the family of our teenaged babysitter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Dear 7th grade student who shared the test answers: I don't know who you are but you got at least three other kids in trouble with me and the office and now everyone in all four classes will have their test score thrown out and have to take a new and harder version of the very easy quiz I gave you.

And thank you for the opportunity to stay an hour late after school on a Friday afternoon to rewrite the test for Monday.

Sincerely, your extremely annoyed teacher.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

dear weather,

Last week, it was pouring rain and the daytime high didn't even hit 60F. And this coming Sunday, its predicted to hit 100F. It just seem that you do not want me farming.

Back in Mar/Apr time frame, we had several days of 90+F heat. The temperature was enough to bolt my radishes. Then it got super cold and most of the kale thought it was winter again... This isn't so bad but when it warmed up again, most all of my kale thought it gone through a winter, a process called vernalization, and it prompted the kale to bolt. Kale is biennial so it flowers the second season. But the heat wave then the cold then the warm weather made it think it had gone through a winter.

grrr. work from sun up around 5:30AM till about 1:00PM. siesta from 1 to about 6:00PM then work from 6:00PM till sundown around 9:30PM. My cats are not happy that they are getting their evening din din around 10:30PM.

Revisiting a topic. See below post/quote from January. At this point, I follow this guy on FB just to see what GoFundMe shenanigans he is up to.

Apparently, he just got an eviction notice for being $2.5K behind on rent. He is a computer guy, and he blames his roommate/brother for the problem, because his brother didn't pay. Oh, and it's the landlord's fault for not telling him, as he told the landlord to let him know if the brother didn't pay his half. Excuse me, but, once again, he listed a new GoFundMe page to get a bunch of strangers to pay his overdue rent. He is an IT guy, his brother works, and they can't pay rent without charity? Really?

Last time, I didn't say anything. This time, I politely pointed out that it's time to take personal responsibility, that I am single and manage to pay my bills, and blaming others isn't acceptable. After half a day, he already had over $1.2 k. I also mentioned that a lot of the people helping likely had less money than he, and that he could take out a loan to pay what he owned, and perhaps look at his finances and reorganize (And a bunch of people 'liked' the post, and thanked me for saying what they were thinking).

Anyway. He works. His brother works. They have a gofundme campaign to pay rent. Wow. Some people....

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    So, change of subject. And I hope it doesn't make me sound petty.

There is a cyclist I've admired for quite some time. He started out weighing 570 lbs, and decided to forgo the recommended bariatric surgery, and become a cyclist. Which he did. He is less than 350 lbs now, started losing weight in 2010. So very slow compared to the surgery, but probably much better for him physically. He is a computer guy, but at one point, he lost his job, and did a gofundme thing. Not sure how he paid for his original bike, but remember, computer scientists/programmers make a lot of money compared to an average person. He commissioned a custom Ti Seven. Which makes sense. It has a high head tube and straight/swept back bars. Perfect. Probably super wheels and hubs.

The thing is, he was out of work for only a short time. And that was after he already had the bike. He started this goal of doing tours in all 50 states (don't know how many he did). Or maybe it was CX races? He does CX. Okay. Gofundme for that, too. Huh. Wish I had the money to travel and cycle. I don't. My mortgage gets paid, though.

Couple of months ago, his custom Ti frameset broke. No idea what happened. Shouldn't have occurred, even at his beginning weight. Seven is replacing the frame for free. Cool.

In the meantime, he decided to get a second bike. He asked his followers (on Facebook) for recommendations for a new bike, and reposted his PayPal, asking for funds, to pay for it.

Excuse me. WTF? Really? There are so many people that can't afford even one, cheap bike. And he just keeps begging and taking. I know people don't have to give, but some people are just susceptible. Anyway. Just saw that tonight, and have half a mind to mention that computer work really does pay enough to buy your own ride. Yeah. I can see it, a 570 lb guy getting into cycling asking for help. A person like that can't really buy a cheap bike and make it work. OTOH, he was unemployed later, not when he bought it. And I have no idea if he paid for his original bike himself, or not. Point is, why the entitlement?

Anyway. When I see that, I feel like commenting and pointing out that he has a good job, but I know he will just think I'm picking on him due to weight. Not the case. But it seems greedy to me.

Blergh. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-17-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

The neeve of people. I saw this on FB, your reply was perfect.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The neeve of people. I saw this on FB, your reply was perfect.
    Thanks. Actually, I had two separate replies, but it sounds like you saw the main one. (Can't help it, it has bugged me for quite some time).

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Sorry for the typo. I was at work, on my phone.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sorry for the typo. I was at work, on my phone.
    Ha ha. I didn't even see it.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Dear 7th grade student who shared the test answers: I don't know who you are but you got at least three other kids in trouble with me and the office and now everyone in all four classes will have their test score thrown out and have to take a new and harder version of the very easy quiz I gave you.

And thank you for the opportunity to stay an hour late after school on a Friday afternoon to rewrite the test for Monday.

Sincerely, your extremely annoyed teacher.
    Oh man, I just saw this. Wow. Why couldn't they just give the 3 who were caught Zeros? That's what most would do. Overkill.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I did give out some zeros and did a lot of lecturing. I know this year (and my district is a "year round school" so we're actually already in session - I will not do trade and grade on multiple choice tests. It's pretty sad!

And Muireann, the cheating was actually so widespread- way more than 3 people had the answers. I only caught 3 for sure.