Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 492 of 495 FirstFirst ... 392442482488489490491492493494495 LastLast
Results 7,366 to 7,380 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

  1. #7366
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,516

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    As a new lawyer about fifteen years ago, my very first deposition was of an older real estate agent who insisted on calling me "honey." In fact, he did it 216 times during a three hour deposition. You can bet that all of the quotes I ended up using in pleadings incorporated him calling me "honey." Their main theme was how professionally they'd been during this transaction, and that they conducted their business the same as always, so not sure if the "honey" references helped us win at all -- but it sure made me feel better.
    My favorite: "I don't know what it is with your women lawyers. Men just hunt to eat. Women hunt to kill." (Right after I and a male attorney demolished his client's case in court - a case that never should have been brought in the first place.)
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  2. #7367
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Dear Universe,

    Thank you for facilitating my life as a full-time RVer. Who knew that we might possibly be able to get reservations at Yellowstone in August booking just 11 days ahead? I figured it would be 2017 for sure, but we are in! And a week with my DH's Senior Pass is gonna cost us all of $92 at the campground. Crazy wonderful. I am so very excited! We had planned on heading back to South Dakota's Black Hills, which we love, but we've been there before, and I have never been to Yellowstone (DH went there with his folks when he was a kid). I love my lifestyle and feel so very lucky!
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  3. #7368
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,853
    Yay, Emily!! Sounds wonderful!!

    Electra Townie 7D

  4. #7369
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,162
    Cool, I grew up in Yellowstone and then worked seasonal all through college. I keep telling my husband I am going to work the tailend of the season when I am "retired" He isn't to excited so he'll just have to stay home, HA.
    Which campground? The Re-dedication of the Teddy Roosevelt Arch at the North Entrance is Aug. 25. President Obama is speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Dear Universe,

    Thank you for facilitating my life as a full-time RVer. Who knew that we might possibly be able to get reservations at Yellowstone in August booking just 11 days ahead? I figured it would be 2017 for sure, but we are in! And a week with my DH's Senior Pass is gonna cost us all of $92 at the campground. Crazy wonderful. I am so very excited! We had planned on heading back to South Dakota's Black Hills, which we love, but we've been there before, and I have never been to Yellowstone (DH went there with his folks when he was a kid). I love my lifestyle and feel so very lucky!
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  5. #7370
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Cool, I grew up in Yellowstone and then worked seasonal all through college. I keep telling my husband I am going to work the tailend of the season when I am "retired" He isn't to excited so he'll just have to stay home, HA.
    Which campground? The Re-dedication of the Teddy Roosevelt Arch at the North Entrance is Aug. 25. President Obama is speaking.
    Oh, how cool. We will be in Bridge Bay campground in our 32' motorhome. Not my first choice of campground, but the only one where we could get a site to fit us -- and a reservation. Although we go many places without reservations, I don't want to chance it at Yellowstone! I read that many of the no-reservation campgrounds fill up by 7 to 8 am, and we'd never get there that early. . We're hoping to do some cycling and hiking, and we'll take a bus tour around the park one day to make sure we get to see more of it than we could cover from the campground on foot or bicycle. It would hardly be a visit to Yellowstone without seeing Old Faithful!

    After a week in Yellowstone, we're planning to head down to Grand Teton NP, where it sounds like the cycling is even better. Super excited!
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  6. #7371
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Troutdale, OR
    Posts
    2,600
    Love Grand Teton. So beautiful. Yellowstone is pretty too. And since you are there mind as well go to Glacier NP. Visit some of the glaciers before they are all gone. Rent a boat there while there and watch trout swimming in the lake. Something my family did about 45 years ago.

    There used to be lot of U-pick orchards nearby or on the way and the fruit were all very juicy and delicious. Can't beat tree ripened fruit (except pear. Pear gets mealy if left to ripen on tree).

    Wow!! Enjoy your stay in Yellowstone. Been there number of times but not yet in winter time.

  7. #7372
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    We will not make it to Glacier this time, smilingcat. It's a big destination, and we would want to be there for at least a week. We will be in eastern Montana for a few stops on the way to Yellowstone but just can't get all the way to Glacier and still make it to the other places in time, and do them all justice. We do want to go to Glacier, though - maybe next summer. We had hoped to get there this year, but timeline just wouldn't permit as we didn't want to wait any later to go to Yellowstone. It is getting cold there! We will see 30s at night when we are there, a week from today...brrrrr chilly! Don't want to get there any later as we could not handle lower temps in our motorhome. And we don't carry a lot of winter clothes along, just the basics.
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  8. #7373
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,162
    Hope you have a great time. Cycling wise, You can easily ride from the campground to the Lake Hotel (a must see!) You can also cycle over to Fishing Bridge and go to the museum and walk on the "beach" I have always avoided biking in Yellowstone in the summer - to much traffic and very little shoulder. The bike path in Grand Teton is great. We spread our parents ashes in Yellowstone Lake in Sept. of 2013 and had our memorial at the group camping area of Bridge Bay, it was cold and rainy so hopefully you'll have sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Oh, how cool. We will be in Bridge Bay campground in our 32' motorhome. Not my first choice of campground, but the only one where we could get a site to fit us -- and a reservation. Although we go many places without reservations, I don't want to chance it at Yellowstone! I read that many of the no-reservation campgrounds fill up by 7 to 8 am, and we'd never get there that early. . We're hoping to do some cycling and hiking, and we'll take a bus tour around the park one day to make sure we get to see more of it than we could cover from the campground on foot or bicycle. It would hardly be a visit to Yellowstone without seeing Old Faithful!

    After a week in Yellowstone, we're planning to head down to Grand Teton NP, where it sounds like the cycling is even better. Super excited!
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  9. #7374
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Hope you have a great time. Cycling wise, You can easily ride from the campground to the Lake Hotel (a must see!) You can also cycle over to Fishing Bridge and go to the museum and walk on the "beach" I have always avoided biking in Yellowstone in the summer - to much traffic and very little shoulder. The bike path in Grand Teton is great. We spread our parents ashes in Yellowstone Lake in Sept. of 2013 and had our memorial at the group camping area of Bridge Bay, it was cold and rainy so hopefully you'll have sunshine.
    I hope so too! Thanks for your input/ideas. I am hoping the traffic will be a little lower this late in the summer in Yellowstone, but who knows. We think the kiddos will be heading back to school very soon, and that may keep traffic down (and explain how we could get relatively last-minute reservations too!)
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  10. #7375
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,364

    Dear copyright infringer

    ... Imagine my surprise when I looked at your event page to see if I'd missed your event this year and found one of my own photographs from a past year advertising it... Well, no actually, I wasn't particularly surprised at that - too many people don't know how copyright works. I was, under the circumstances pretty nice. I wrote you and explained that I am typically quite generous about allowing non-profits like yourself to use my images free of charge, but it is necessary to contact me and ask first and that I request that I be credited as the photographer. I explained that I was not upset, but that I wanted you to be aware of the rules and that had the image been licensed to someone else, that it could have been a much bigger problem.

    Your reply did surprise me.. astonished me in fact... You sweetly informed me that you did have permission to use the photograph in question and that I was indeed correct that you had neglected to give credit where credit was due and that you'd corrected the oversight. You even very nicely sent me a link to my photograph on your Facebook page, now with someone else's name on it. Needless to say I was rather shocked and angered..

    This isn't a case in which another photographer may have been there and taken a very similar photograph. It's an image of small candle boats on a pond. I've overlaid the two images (from your page and my Flickr account) sand sent you the results. Not even had this other person been hanging over my shoulder and hit the shutter at the exact same moment, could there be two images that match in every aspect - down to the size in 100th's of an inch, the exact framing and position of everything in the photograph and even the lens flare on the candle flames...

    I am now practicing a great deal of patience as I have not heard back from you that you are even looking into this. I am really, really hoping that this is simply a mistake or a miscommunication on your part and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that it is now the weekend and maybe, just maybe you haven't seen your email from yesterday evening yet, but if Monday comes around and I haven't heard boo from you, you can look forward to my turning a DMCA takedown notice and a complaint in to Facebook and perhaps even sending you an invoice for the use of the image.

    disgruntled photographer...
    Last edited by Eden; 09-24-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

    visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

  11. #7376
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,232
    Yeah that’s one of the problems of sharing our images on the net. I figure if you can see an image in a browser there is probably a way to copy it even if a site doesn’t allow it. If they don’t want to give you at least a credit make sure the DMCA takedown order is filled out properly with their whois info etc.

    You also might want to change your Flickr ‘privacy & permission’ setting on who can download your images to ‘only you’ or ‘friends/family’ and the ‘largest shared image size’ to 1024. My Facebook can only be viewed by a few friends so I’m not worried about the few images I post there. Those two places, here and two other forums are the only places i post images. I also keep all my original raw files with metadata which can help in a dispute.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

  12. #7377
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,364
    I don't post stuff to the web big enough for print, so I'm at least only vulnerable to swiping for other web uses and I do only post in a few places... I know it's one of the risks of putting stuff up, but it's one that I've been thus far willing to take. I totally know, if you can see it, you can take it and so few people really understand copyright so catching a few people swiping photos here and there is inevitable - and it's not like it's some big commercial usage - those people know better (well... usually at least - Getty images did get caught licensing stuff that's in the national archives and designated as Public Domain - and trying to charge the photographer for using it her very own web site...). It's not so much they used the image that bothers me. I'd have let them do it no problem if they'd have asked. The thing that got me going was the snotty denial that the photograph is mine... and I can certainly prove that. I'm a RAW shooter. I keep all of my original images and I keep the EXIF on my flickr files too. I really am hoping it was a stupid mistake.. and that they give me a really nice apology.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-24-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

    visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

  13. #7378
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,162
    Dear Gremlin, It would be awesome if you'd reveal where my new Terry bike tights are! My memory of wearing them last springs recalls them as being quite wonderful. I have torn the house apart trying to locate them, so frustrating! They were not inexpensive and dread having to purchase another pair. crude.
    Sky King
    ____________________
    Gilles Berthoud "Bernard"
    Surly ECR "Eazi"
    Empowering the Bicycle Traveler
    biketouringnews.com

  14. #7379
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Dear Gremlin, It would be awesome if you'd reveal where my new Terry bike tights are! My memory of wearing them last springs recalls them as being quite wonderful. I have torn the house apart trying to locate them, so frustrating! They were not inexpensive and dread having to purchase another pair. crude.
    alex just said this morning my sdhc camera card is where i last put it ...if the gremlin does reveal where the tights are, send it to me
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

  15. #7380
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    On my bike
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Dear Gremlin, It would be awesome if you'd reveal where my new Terry bike tights are! My memory of wearing them last springs recalls them as being quite wonderful. I have torn the house apart trying to locate them, so frustrating! They were not inexpensive and dread having to purchase another pair. crude.
    Sounds like a case for Santa.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

    Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •