Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 467 of 495 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,005 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dear Wannabe Thief

You saw my bike ad on Craigslist and sent me an email expressing your interest. Something troubled me about your email that I couldn't pin down. So, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and responded and told you that I would be happy to meet you at my bike store this coming weekend. Your response addressed me by name so I know you read it, but you ignored my location/date suggestion and wanted to meet later that day. I repeated my original message. Oh yes, at some point your emails suddenly were coming from a different person, though the email address was the same. Weirder and more weird to come. Also, outside of the first message, you never actually referred to my "BIKE", but to my "item". No questions about a $1,500 full custom bike, you just really wanted to check out my "item". I was pretty sure at this point that you weren't legit but on the tiny chance that there was a reasonable explanation I didn't give up on you just yet.

Lo and behold, yesterday came two emails from you. Apparently you suddenly were admitted to the hospital for "4 weeks radio therapy treatment for my labyrinthitis" and you really wanted to purchase my "item" for your Cousin (since she is a girl) and you would "issue a bank official check to cover the cost and also add funds to cover the shipping to where it will be needed". First I've heard that vertigo requires "radio therapy treatment" but I'm no doctor. I responded that I accept cash or PayPal, and of course if you are in the hospital (sure he is) PayPal would be much easier for you and I would ship as soon as the funds hit my bank. You then responded that PayPal wasn't possible and you were ready to send that check, and he really wanted my name, address and phone number for that purpose.

Yep, you want to steal my lovely bike. I did respond one last time, simply stating that I do not accept checks of any type. There are all KINDS of warnings about fake cashier checks and money orders. Surprise, surprise, I've not heard from him since then.

------------------------------

So this is a cautionary tale, I think my days of attempting to sell on Craigslist is over. It was such an obvious attempt though, even if there was a very small doubt in my mind at first. The key is to trust your gut. Be careful when selling out there!

Catrin,
    A few people can really ruin it for everyone. I'm glad you were on your guard to protect yourself, your home, and, of course, your bike.

I've had responses like that for a lost cat ad, so ya know that couldn't even be a human being saying they are interested in purchasing my "item" (lost cat?)

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I always like the ones that are pulling a variation of that scam prefaced with "I am a good Christian..."
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I still sell on Craigslist - too many things are too large to ship and I don't want to eat the fees for eBay. I err on the side of not responding if a reply sounds off in any way. I also always meet in a very public place. When I haven't been able to do that (furniture), I schedule the appointment when my DH can be with me and we cart the item outside before the person comes.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I always like the ones that are pulling a variation of that scam prefaced with "I am a good Christian..."
    If you have to say it, you probably aren't.

I had a very similar exchange for Montréal sale and told that person that I did not believe their story, etc and was going to report them to police. Funny they never wrote back and I did pull my item from there after. And then I was told it happens very often.

Catrin, glad you caught onto their scheme.

I still think that CL can be a good way to sell things that are difficult to ship. I have sold kayaks, bikes, and a HUGE boat anchor (we used to own a sailboat), two boxes of LP records, among other things on there. However, I was really careful and would only deal with people who were willing to meet me in my parking lot at work. You have to use your instincts, which you did.

Good job!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I still sell on Craigslist - too many things are too large to ship and I don't want to eat the fees for eBay. I err on the side of not responding if a reply sounds off in any way. I also always meet in a very public place. When I haven't been able to do that (furniture), I schedule the appointment when my DH can be with me and we cart the item outside before the person comes.
    Cash only, and whomever shows up with the money first gets it. Period.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Cash only, and whomever shows up with the money first gets it. Period.
    Yep - though I do take PayPal, which probably won't come up with local CL ad anyway. I got another odd inquiry from the CL ad today which I am not bothering to respond to. If they can't at least be bothered to inquire about something more than the "@ item", then I can't be bothered to waste my energy responding. Probably not even from an actual person.

Dear parents and niece,

I love you all dearly, really, I do. But two weeks of living in MY house with you is just too much! Yes, I do ride my bike EVERY day. NO, I don't eat dinner at 5:00 pm. YES, I do have to actually WORK during the day. NO, I don't have the energy to entertain you 24 hours a day. Oh - and when I was growing up in YOUR house, how come everything had to be exactly so and spotless? What happened to that? Apparently it doesn't apply at MY house now.

Methinks that in the future, I will have to ensure that I have plans for at least part of your visit.

Love from your not-14-any-more daughter,
    SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

You could have taken refuge here for a few hours!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You could have taken refuge here for a few hours!
    Thanks, Crankin! I'm actually up in Maine, which makes things a bit worse since the house is smaller, and there's a bit less to do here. I'll manage, but I am counting down the days to Sunday...

SheFly

Is it fair season in Maine yet? We always went to Acton Fair, but I remember it as late August. You could always ship them off for the day to Freeport or the Old Port. If they're up for it, we've looked into day long kayak trips, maybe a sailing trip out of Boothbay? Just driving to tose places would take half the day.

It's funny how your house seems perfect when it's the two of you, but you add people... My house seems so SMALL when Thom's parents are here.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Not quite yet. Tomorrow they are going to Santa's Village for the day. And I am still managing to get in a ride after work . Thought of Freeport as well, and would have actually taken them there, but can't get away from work during the week, and don't want to think about fighting the craziness on the weekend.

Yup - perfect house for Mike and I, not so much when you add 3 more. Oh, and the kitties are all sorts of out of sorts! Especially Ellie, who is standoffish to begin with. We'll all be glad to get back to our routines.

Thanks for letting me vent.

SheFly