Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 495 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've wondered about that exhaustion thing too. They talk about it a lot with one of the Russian pairs teams. The guy looks so listless at the end. I've wondered if is a mental thing with all the choreography as much as a physical thing. You know kind of like riding rock gardens for hours at a time. Eventually you lose your focus and biff.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

hey, I look at them flying around on the ice and I can't believe that they can stay upright at all!! (this girl can NOT skate!) I can see that their whole routine would be anaerobic, especially those twirling jumps, and they don't really get to warm up. Like sprinting up the steepest hill for 4 minutes. I know I'd be winded!!

Namaste,
    ~T~

**but it is kinda good for a laugh, I must say

Picture this, you ride the same stretch of rock garden every 2 weeks 9 months a year. You don't get scored for riding it faster or slower than anyone else, you just have to get from point A to B in no less than 4 minutes and maybe, what, no more than 4 mins 15 secs. The rocks don't move between rides. The weather is always the same so the traction and bumps and mountains are always the same. You can memorize your everyone move. Wouldn't you train so that you can handle the physical and mental output? Sure, your style points may fluctuate, that's human nature, but wouldn't you be able to get from point A to point B without total exhaustion?

SadieKate:

I want to be like you because of your recent expert bike handling, (I think I may have panicked). I also want to be like you because you are grabbin the bull by the horns and challenging your MS. I wish I had yours and my friends hutzpah!!

karen

Dear MassBikeBabe,

Aw, shucks. Thanks. But, see, I look up to you because you can stick a needle into someone. Don't know that I'll ever be able to do it myself, so I weekly thank the powers that be for my nurse friends. If I ever have to be on the east coast when I need it, can I call you? Veronica pointed out that what I call my S&M night (shot and movie) is just the opposite of MS. So, we can call it my fight motto. As far as hutzpah? You get more of it when you have friends who you can talk with openly and just treat it as another ailment of the group - like someone having a chronic bad knee. You do what it takes to accomodate and keep going. We could rename this forum the Ladies' Mutual Admiration and Support Society.

SK

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Dear MassBikeBabe,

We could rename this forum the Ladies' Mutual Admiration and Support Society.

SK
    or LaMASS for short?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Sadie:

You can call me anytime and I will call the shot!!! Corsair...love the name, it reminds of the other New Englanders, (the Red ones), who call us m*******s...makes me giggle.

karen

Dear Friendly Strangers,

Thank you first to the woman who pulled over to see if I was okay out there on Barton Springs Road. I was just sitting on the ground changing my lenses, but you pulled over in front of me, backed up, then looked through your rear window giving me a thumbs up to ask if I was okay. I was. I'm still glad you stopped.

And thanks to the two cars and the runner who stopped to check on me while I fumbled around fixing my flat tire (why is it always on the rear?). I haven't had many flats in my life, and I've usually had an eager guy around to change the ones I have had, so I'm not too quick with the procedure. I could have gotten help from the runner guy, but knew I needed to figure out how to get the bead seated for my ownself. Thanks to all of you.

However...now for the four cyclists who rode on by while I fixed the flat, I'm frankly a little disappointed. A simple "Got everything you need?" would have been nice. Oh well, just makes me resolved to make sure I extend that kindness to every flatted-out, mechanical-experiencing cyclist I encounter. Especially the cute ones .

Dear Giant Kamikazi Squirrel,

Thank you for stopping when you turned around and tried to run in front of my wheel a 2nd time. I already knew you were fast when I missed you the first time. Was it my screech of fear that made you stop or the wheel a quarter inch from your face?

Tell you what, I'll tell everybody how fast you are if you'll agree not to try that manuever again. That shot of adrenaline lasted me quite a while today.

SK
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Sadie:

Sorry 'bout that squirrel, but the story you told has me ROFLMAO! Been there, know the feeling, cept mine was with a bunny on a night ride. I never knew that bunnies hiss...

karen

Dear Karen,

Bunnies hissing? OK, that one goes right up there with the butterfly I saw chasing a swallow last year.

SK
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Dear God,

Please let me pass the NCLEX-PN, the ACT, AND get into RN school in January. I promise that I will NEVER complain about being puked on by a patient again.

Kik
    Last edited by KkAllez; 05-21-2005 at 07:24 PM.
    Ever notice that 'what the hell' always seems to be the best decision?

Dear Jerk Who Dumped Random Car Stuff in the BLM -

Thank you, for thoughtlessly dumping on public lands. You, unlike your household trash dumping peers have risen above with this effort. Unfortunately the trash fairies haven't come along yet, to clean up after you, so my bike, and almost my knees, paid for your laziness.

How was I supposed to know that while I was focusing on my line through that rock garden that my rear wheel would hit your metallic trash, spin forward and wedge it unceremoniously into my beloved bike. Thankfully I caught my fall, or you'd be in big trouble, mister!

So as I took off my back wheel to unstick this metal mess, I counted bent spokes, mourning that it wedge between two cogs on my cassette, and thanked gawd it didn't hurt my derailluer. Next time you need $16 for the dump fee, ask me, I'll give it to you, happily.

-HillBill

Dear Wimfull Wind Gods,

Please limit your activities to the hours in which I am not trying to bicycle. I would not mind so much except that when I start out, I am always facing a strong headwind, and by the time I turn around, the wind has reversed. If that is not possible, I would be more apreciative if you could simply alter this trend to give me tail winds in both directions instead.

Yours Windedly,
    Roughingit

Dear Weather Gods,
    attn: Rain Gods:

Was it something I said?

Now, while I remember saying that I'm not a cold-weather wimp, I don't remember saying that I enjoy/love/prefer to ride in the rain. Did I?

The band of really wet, windy weather that you parked over the route of my first bike tour was not at all nice of you. Now was that necessary?

I could almost accept that, but the sudden drenching rainstorm two days ago, complete with thunder and lightning really was over the top, don't you think? I've had less water come down on my head in a small waterfall. My helmet is still dripping, the bike seat is still soggy, and I'm just tired of it. I did not buy my nice aluminum bike to be a foul-weather bike. Really.

Please, whatever I did, I didn't mean it, and I'll never do it again. Just turn off the taps.

Soggily yours,
    MomOnBike
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX