Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 369 of 495 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

oldwatshername, it's horrible. I have a student, a smoker and he doesn't take a shower often. But the most disgusting thing is his breath I feel it even from a distance. Oh, my nose is very sensitive and somethimes I wish it weren't.

Dear makers of triathlon apparel for women,

Putting on a one piece tri suit should not involve possible dislocation of my arm attempting to wrestle the built-in sports bra on. Neither should it require the help of a second person. Please stop building sports bras into one piece tri suits. There's no logical reason for it, really.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Indy, you will find your cycling mojo. I've been through this more than once. During the most severe bout of it, I found doing lots of fun "errand" rides on my heavier bike got me out there more than I would have been on my road bike. I learned all about all of the local farm stands and met some interesting people. I probably did about 300 miles over a season this way. I was still riding on the weekends with DH and friends and doing occasional group rides, but I put no pressure on myself. In fact, I still don't. I haven't gone as far as not using a computer, because I like to use cadence and distance, but I rarely look at my average speed anymore. I'm not saying I never do, but once I took the pressure off of myself, I actually started improving a little.
    The winter after the season I did all of those little errand rides, I went on a group x country ski outing with someone I knew from rides I had lead. She brought a friend, who lives in my town. She said, "Oh, I know you... you must commute all year round," and she went on to describe my bike, and even what color cycling jacket I have! She had seen me shopping many times in west Concord, and thought I didn't have a car. So, I guess I was out there enough to have someone recognize me. To me, that was just as good as having a 16 mph average (which is fast for me).
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks for the encouragement, Crankin. I rode 20 miles yesterday (my first ride since November). It was nice. My sit bones are sore, but I otherwise felt good. Part of my problem is that I used to ride with a big group of friends all over town. It was a strong group and I was motivated to ride a lot simply to keep up. I also liked the diversity of where we rode. Now I mostly ride with DH from our house. I think I need to mix it up a bit more this year. I need to do some hill work and go out of my way to ride with friends. Mentally and physically, I've been more motivated this past year than I was the year before (I've been running and working with a trainer on resistance work) so I'm hopeful. I'm just not patient when it comes to the bike. When I first started riding in 2006, I got strong pretty quickly thanks to some serious determination. I want that person back, but I keep glossing over how much work it took to get there. I think it would help if I went a little easier on myself.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy,

Hadn't thought of wheel drag. Yup. I have really wide mountain bike tires. I tried smaller sized, but the roads are too beat up for anything else. If I want to ride on the rural gravel roads, I need the wider tires as well.

Wish I had money to go to Omaha to ride the mountain bike trails. I'm sick of rural roads.

Dear bike shop boys,

You don't know how much the short cut meant to me. You are the best. The ride was way more fun than it was heading. I love you both, and dj, godspeed. You are a like lunar moth. I'm lucky to have known you.

Dear Old Friend,

I don't know what to say to you. I'm really mad at you, and may just want to end our friendship. I'm not returning your call because it's your birthday and I don't want to ruin it for you; because I won't be able to not tell you how much you hurt and dissappointed me. I never asked much of you, but now I know I expected more. Your excuse for not calling when I needed you was really lame. If there's another reason, you need to be honest with me, because the other one makes you look like an insensitive jerk.

Dear Me,

You learned a lot recently, but maybe you've forgotten forgiveness and compassion.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

(((Red))). It pains me to hear this. I've unfortunately learned the hard way that some people just aren't giving. I lost a friend in a similar fashion. I was there for her during her divorce, but when I needed her sometime later, she just couldn't reciprocate. I let the friendship rapidly fade from there. Sometimes I miss her, but I just can't waste energy or my love on someone who's happy to receive friendship but can't return it. I do, however, regret not telling her that she hurt me. I think I deserved to give voice to that. So, I would give some thought to that in your own situation. Maybe she'll surprise you by offering a sincere apology and a change in behavior. If not, you've at least said your piece.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

(Open letter to my music kids)

Dear drumset player:
    What possessed you today to accidentally start our performance with the wrong piece? It's FINALS. At a REGIONAL. With (name redacted) as a judge!!! You're the only senior in the group, the only kid over 18, and you make a mistake that the 12-year-olds wouldn't have made!!!

Dear everyone else in the group:
    Thanks for having the presence of mind to save the performance. Even with the total scramble to get to an instrument that remotely matches what you should be on during the piece he started with, it was a pretty darn good performance. You guys better hope (judge) is at our national competition, because he's very impressed with that recovery. And also laughing his butt off at the whole situation.

Sincerely,
    Your exasperated teacher, who had to wait 4 agonizing hours for a drink after that near-catastrophe. I will probably wake up tomorrow with a whole head full of gray hair.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

jessmarimba, I hope that drink was a good and stiff one. Kids can be so funny like that though...
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Dear houseguest,

We're having seafood for dinner again tonight. Get the hint?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Indy,

Hadn't thought of wheel drag. Yup. I have really wide mountain bike tires. I tried smaller sized, but the roads are too beat up for anything else. If I want to ride on the rural gravel roads, I need the wider tires as well.

Wish I had money to go to Omaha to ride the mountain bike trails. I'm sick of rural roads.
    Check out the Schwalbe Big Apple - could be a great alternative - wide but not as knobby.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Dear houseguest,

We're having seafood for dinner again tonight. Get the hint?
    And there's a problem with the menu? What time is dinner?
    Beth

((redrhodie))--that's a big mix of stuff. I'm amazed at how clearly and simply you can articulate those issues.

Let's all just drop in at Oak's house for seafood and then we'll leave.

(spell check wants me to call you 'rear')
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Ha! Spellcheck is a wisenheimer. It likes to put 'a$$' in place of 'was' for me. It's only a matter of time before that bites me in the rear.

The old friend and I exchanged emails. She said she loves and misses me, and is there if I need her. I wished her a happy birthday and said I didn't feel like talking. I'm not sure where it goes from here. I'm letting it rest for now.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Went to the house inspection with DS and DIL. As I spent 2+ hours going through the process with them, I thought, how can this be? In my mind, my son is still 3 years old! Ack, it made me feel really old.
    Which of course necessitated DH and I going out to dinner at an awesome Argentinian restaurant.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport