Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 364 of 495 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374414464 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 7422

Thread: Dear So and So

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congratulations, crazycanuck! I don't know if a half is ever in my future, but it is exciting to hear about anyone doing their first one. You rock!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Dear body,

Thank you for all your hard work today . I never thought i'd ever enter and finish a 1/2 marathon but today I did

2:46 was my official time & did it by walk/run/walk/run/walk etc...

I had heaps o fun & can't wait for the next one...(soon )

Thank you

back to lurking
    Great job and congratulations. I aspire someday to actually do a 5 k.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Dear body,

Thank you for all your hard work today . I never thought i'd ever enter and finish a 1/2 marathon but today I did

2:46 was my official time & did it by walk/run/walk/run/walk etc...

I had heaps o fun & can't wait for the next one...(soon )

Thank you

back to lurking
    YAY! Congratulations!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Dear Tulip,
    Wow, you are doing so wonderfully with your finances...you are really getting it! Did you really budget and fund all your bills and expenses THROUGH APRIL already?? Funding and budgeting two months ahead is AWESOME! And saving for all those rainy day categories really makes life easier. Ahhhh...
    Awesome! We're still plugging away at getting that buffer built up, but we're doing a great job of saving for rainy-day categories. No more scrambling to pay the heating oil bill! Any suggestions for buffer building?

Yay for Crazycanuk and Tulip! By the way, Tulip, ever since you mentioned budgeting software, I had a good hunt around and have been using a budgeting app. It's terrific, knowing I have a few thousand dollars stashed away is nice (even if that amount isn't a lot).

Dear friend, thank you for coming up and nudging me off the ledge of fear I've started to teeter on. Thank you for reminding me that now that I'm physically away from that person, they can only hurt me as much as I allow them to.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Awesome! We're still plugging away at getting that buffer built up, but we're doing a great job of saving for rainy-day categories. No more scrambling to pay the heating oil bill! Any suggestions for buffer building?
    We decided to become a one car family again, our old Ranger is paid for and cheap to maintain so we're getting rid of the Wrangler. We're also stopping the extra payments on our house, we plan on selling it in the next 2-3 years so the money would be better saved.

The payments on the Wrangler and house are small but by making those changes we put ourselves in the place where we can put over $2000 a month into savings (which for us is huge).

I realize a LOT of people can't do the one car thing though, it's just doable for us because we live in a small college town.

Electra Townie 7D

Dear fashion retailers: Why, oh why, are your skirts so short? You used to cater to professional women. I can understand the trend toward more casual business attire, but mini skirts? Is everybody but me able to wear such things to work and does everybody but me look get in them? I don't think so. So why are they so prevalent? And those that aren't mid-thigh length are pencil skirts. While they're not quite as unflattering or work inappropriate, I find them totally uncomfortable for summer. Please, return skirts to a more modest length and offer them in an a-line cut. Thank you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    We decided to become a one car family again, our old Ranger is paid for and cheap to maintain so we're getting rid of the Wrangler. We're also stopping the extra payments on our house, we plan on selling it in the next 2-3 years so the money would be better saved.

The payments on the Wrangler and house are small but by making those changes we put ourselves in the place where we can put over $2000 a month into savings (which for us is huge).

I realize a LOT of people can't do the one car thing though, it's just doable for us because we live in a small college town.
    We did the one-car thing for awhile and it just doesn't work for us. DH's car is more than paid for (due to be replaced, even), and mine will be paid off in 2 months. The plan is to save up a significant chunk of money towards his car before we begin shopping.

I think part of this may be changing my mindset about long-term savings goals, in order to fund the buffer first and allow us to budget further ahead (like Tulip has done). We've been socking aside significant savings to severals goals, but maybe I need to free up those funds for the buffer and delay our other goals.

I have to confess: budgeting in YNAB is fun for me. I love seeing each dollar do a job, sitting down on payday to assign jobs to those checks, and prioritizing our needs each month.

We did the one-car thing for awhile and it just doesn't work for us. DH's car is more than paid for (due to be replaced, even), and mine will be paid off in 2 months. The plan is to save up a significant chunk of money towards his car before we begin shopping.

I think part of this may be changing my mindset about long-term savings goals, in order to fund the buffer first and allow us to budget further ahead (like Tulip has done). We've been socking aside significant savings to severals goals, but maybe I need to free up those funds for the buffer and delay our other goals.

I have to confess: budgeting in YNAB is fun for me. I love seeing each dollar do a job, sitting down on payday to assign jobs to those checks, and prioritizing our needs each month.
    We don't use YNAB, but I have kept us on a budget sheet for many years. I have to say, it's MUCH more fun budgeting when you actually have "extra" money; rather than the old version of "holy cow, how are we going to pay the power bill this month!".

Electra Townie 7D

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Becky, it took me a year to get my buffer. I started out with a small emergency fund, and then just kept growing it until it reached my buffer amount. Then I rebuilt the emergency fund, so I have a buffer and a separate emergency fund. Now I'm building up my rainy day categories, and it's going nicely. I have taken on some side work that I really enjoy, and that has helped pad out my rainy day funds. I could not have done this without YNAB, but now I find it really alot of fun and it's very empowering to me to be in control of my money instead of the other way around.

Alexis-the-Tiny, I'm glad you found something that works for you. If I can inspire one person to take control of his or her finances, it's a win for everyone. If I can do it, anyone can, that's for sure.

Becky, it took me a year to get my buffer. I started out with a small emergency fund, and then just kept growing it until it reached my buffer amount. Then I rebuilt the emergency fund, so I have a buffer and a separate emergency fund. Now I'm building up my rainy day categories, and it's going nicely. I have taken on some side work that I really enjoy, and that has helped pad out my rainy day funds. I could not have done this without YNAB, but now I find it really alot of fun and it's very empowering to me to be in control of my money instead of the other way around.
    Tulip, thanks for sharing. This makes me feel loads better about not having a fully-funded buffer yet.

Tulip, you know what was REALLY fun? Realizing that at 16, I had on a 600 dollar a month allowance (I was living alone with no family, not a spoilt teenager) and now? I'm still doing 600 bucks a month. Well that's before I factor in rent. But I love knowing that in 10 years, I can still do with the same amount of money. On some level, it makes the financially paranoid side of me feel so, so, much safer.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Thumb's up, Tulip. That's awesome! I'm really thrilled for you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Please, return skirts to a more modest length and offer them in an a-line cut.
    The Calvin Klein line has knee-length a-line skirt this year. Macy's has it for about $55. (link)
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

Quote Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
    The Calvin Klein line has knee-length a-line skirt this year. Macy's has it for about $55. (link)
    Thanks for the suggestion.

--Mary Anne Radmacher