Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Talking Cross Country Skiing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yaaayyyyyyy!!!!!

Okay, so my skis aren't waxed yet, the trails are soft and slow, but I've been out the last 2 days. In a couple of days we should have enough snow for the real grooming to begin, and I plan to wax up the ol' rock skis tomorrow (should make it possible to move them ). Should be great this weekend. It's been snowing HARD this week!

Anybody else?

Where do you have snow? I am in Bay City, Michigan and its just freaking windy here. Can't wait for the snow - I have to bring our skis out of the shed and get the snowshoes ready.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I'm in Calumet, in the UP. I do believe winter is here, at last. My house is about 2 miles from Lake Superior, so we get tons of lake effect snow (well, except for last year). We're in the middle of a storm right now - this morning as I was leaving for work I mentally ran through my winter stuff, and had to go back to the garage and grab my snowshoes (I got caught without them a couple of years ago in a big storm, and vowed never to do that again, after we had to abandon both vehicles 1/4 mile from home).

It's freaking windy here, too, if that helps at all. Tuesday morning our snow was coming down with 60-65mph gusts (okay, not so much "coming down" as "blowing past").

Good luck on your snow - didn't the LP get a bunch over Thanksgiving? I know Gaylord got several inches, and I thought a storm passed to the south?

Here in Bay City we didn't get anything on Thanksgiving. Heard they had snow farther north. This week we were suppose to have snow showers all week long, just got a few flurries. Enjoy the snow. Never been any farther north than the bridge, I know you get alot more snow than we do in the LP.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Our trails were groomed last week, so we did some training after work, then the föhn came from Italy and melted everything
    My skis are waxed and ready.
    Anyone doing any races this season?

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Well, I haven't even taken my waxing bench out of storage. Maybe I should send my skis to one of you ladies to wax for me!! I think I waxed them at the end of the season, though, so they are probably ready to go. Winter's taking its sweet time getting here, so in order to avoid getting too amped about skiing, I'm leaving it all in the basement until we get enough snow to maybe ski on. That could be this weekend, though I'll be out of town.

No races for me...I'm far too pathethic. I enjoy going out and skating just for the heck of it.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but we didn't actually put the wax bench away at the end of last season. In fact it took DH several months to get round to removing the klister/pine needle mixture that was sticking to his classic skis.

Citizens' races are quite popular here and there are short ones too (wouldn't like anyone to get the idea that I am a hard-core racer). I'm trying to pick one big one though as our challenge for the winter, maybe the Engadine ski marathon as we did mainly classic last year, so this year skating would be good.

Do any of you train at night? I love skiing through the Bavarian countryside in the evenings - it's always so quiet.

Maybe this week-end in the Blue Mts. of Eastern Oregon!!
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

I am willing to give anyone who can bring a snowy December to Minnesota a $100. Or if they are willing to bring a month of blizzards to DC and tell me so I can bring back my skis, I will give them $150 ( I think that is harder to do). I'm used to snowshoeing and cross country skiing in January/ February in Minnesota. I don't know how I am going to live without it!

Still waiting for the first real snow in southern New England- maybe tonight if it doesn't change to sleet and freezing rain.

I am so excited, as I went to a used x-c ski sale at a ski touring place near us this morning, and came home with a nice pair of barely used Rossignols, some great Salamon boots, and a "beater" pair of Trax skiis, all for $120.00!! Whoo hooo!!!!!!!

The last time I bought skiis was in 1978, I think, and those 3-point toe bindings were fairly new then. Definitely time for something newer!

ready to get out there!

I did some xc skiing when I was a teenager, and my bike club does it in the winter, so I got myself some skis this week and am ready to go.

Unfortunately, all the advisories on our xc places recommend rock skis.

I guess my new skis will be rock skis in a coupla years

I guess my new skis will be rock skis in a coupla years
    Or sooner, if you play your cards right! It's so hard to see that first gouge. I got a nice one in my "not quite rock skis, but not my good skis" my first day on them this year. Oh well, those were never going to be fast anyway. I'm totally sick of my actual rock skis, so these will probably take their place anyway.

We now have about 1-1/2 feet of snow on the ground, and all of our xc areas are open. And using the big groomers! I need to get out tomorrow morning, before we leave town for several days (boo hoo!). Won't be doing any skiing downstate. We're supposed to get another 8 inches or so here tomorrow & tomorrow night. It has slowed down quite a bit now, from what it was doing for a couple of weeks.

May you all get a good dumping on soon!

I've been out skating twice. The first month is always humbling... no matter how much I've swam/biked/run it never carries over to ski skating. *sigh*

I'm a lazy waxer. I like the stuff I can just roll on and go. No irons and benches for me.

snow?

I missssss snow. I wanna go cross country skiing. WHINE, whimper, whimper
    Beth

I just got back from going out with the 3 dogs for a semi-backcountry ski. I say "semi" because the snowmobiles had gotten there first and the trail was packed down.

The dogs loved it! They've been wading through chest deep snow for a week, so this hard packed stuff was a blast. Even my big lazy guy... um, I mean my energy conservationist ... was running and playing.

We were out for an hour. Now the dogs are lying around exhausted.

But the best part is that it didn't bother my plantar fasciitis! Yay, yay, yay!