Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

To disable ads, please log-in.

Crankin...a shower after finishing is nice. Sounds like the trip was good but cold. But then again it is winter, right? Sometimes I don't mind storm skiing but other times I stay inside to avoid it and end up getting grouchy about everything. Lawd knows I certainly have all the right clothes...

It's a gorgeous day here but I think I'm going to wait a bit before going today. I'm still beat from yesterday's WRONG WAX skate on cold snow anyhow. It was a green wax day and you cannot make green wax by combining yellow and blue, contrary to what they taught us in kindergarten. So I used blue and c-r-a-w-l-e-d for 18k. I am one day older and wiser today...I will classic ski today!

The area close to me was groomed on Thurs., but more snow fell. A group of us went up, but it was classic only. It was so gorgeous. Lovely fresh snow and no wind. Intermittently is snowed, and then the sun would shine. On the way up, the second car saw 3 big cougars, and we saw their tracks often. Needless to say, we stayed together as a group. Nobody want to be a snack! Great day to be out.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

I'm pretty sure I don't want to come face to face with any cougars while skiing. Go ahead - call me a wimp if you want.

So my first race of the season has been canceled, due to lack of early registrations. I'm not exactly heart-broken, since it's only supposed to get up to about 5 degrees that day.

I do have to go to Yuma for work later this month, getting home the night before what will now be my first race of the season. Not ideal - acclimating to 70 degree weather with no skiing for 5 days, then plunging myself into a potentially 0 degree race. Hope it's more like 30. At least I'll be rested.

The skiing is GREAT here.

Question for you fine TE xc-ski queens..

How far are your skiis suppose to sink in the snow?

Ugh... I know I bought the wrong type of ski last year for my "real primary" interest. I have a traditional set that's meant for groomed trails. Well, I really should have bought a back country style. But, I'm trying to plow away where I can.

I went out today for the first time this year (lovely powder snow storm here in the midwest yeah), and sunk. I know my skiis fit right to me (weight etc.).

So, how much sinking is to be expected? Maybe I'm not totally sure what to expect? Like, a few inches? Six inches? What?

Oh, regardless... it was still fun to get out . Just ackward.

I just want to say crapola. I finally suck it up and sign up for classic lessons.

Wouldn't you know the first lesson occurs on the same day as the USAT National Winter Tri Championship. Lesson will be right next to the bike course and during pre-race activites. I'll be sure to wave hi to Deadly Nedly and Mike Kloser in between face plants.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    [B]So, how much sinking is to be expected? Maybe I'm not totally sure what to expect? Like, a few inches? Six inches? What?
    It depends on conditions just like any other ski so I don't think anyone can answer not knowing what you're skiing in.

I have Karhu XCD GTs which can easily sink that much on fresh ungroomed powder, but they'll only submarine to a point and keep gliding. There is definitely more flotation than a classic ski meant for track and more sideways stability.

But there are some "ungroomed" trails that get so much traffic that you could skate on them.

It really depends on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I just want to say crapola. I finally suck it up and sign up for classic lessons.
    Now a lesson would be a nice thing. Xc-skiing is not so big as downhill here. I'll have to ask around. I know I could use some tips.

Btw, sorry about the timing thing for you. Doesn't it always work out that way!

It depends on conditions just like any other ski so I don't think anyone can answer not knowing what you're skiing in.

I have Karhu XCD GTs which can easily sink that much on fresh ungroomed powder, but they'll only submarine to a point and keep gliding. There is definitely more flotation than a classic ski meant for track and more sideways stability.

But there are some "ungroomed" trails that get so much traffic that you could skate on them.

It really depends on conditions.
    Thx for answering. Well, right now the snow is powder-like and just about 6 inches deep. This was just taking advantage of the unplowed subdivision and skiing on the road and berm. Today I think I'll try the park or golf course. Maybe I would stop sinking after a certain point, then? Hmmm....

DH (who likes downhill, and not xc) says "that's why I always hated xc-skiing... too much work... it was like walking through snow".

A few of our county parks do "groom" their hiking trails. I'm not sure if they have been out to do that yet. Our snow has been sporadic last few winters.

Miranda, you can break trail with your first pass through an area. Then go back and ski in your own tracks. Each time you go over the tracks it's more fun. Once I was at a resort where we got a huge snowfall. I skied around the golf course to make my tracks. When I went back people who had been out walking walked right on my tracks!!

Yesterday 12 of us went up to our close-by area. It had been groomed and was my 1st time this year to get out my skate skis. It was fun, but today I have a whole new crop of sore muscles. It's a whole different animal from classic, that's for sure!!
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    I Lesson will be right next to the bike course and during pre-race activites. I'll be sure to wave hi to Deadly Nedly and Mike Kloser in between face plants.
    Umm...I didn't see any face plants when we skied a few weeks ago. Negativity NOT ALLOWED!!

I assume that the ski leg of the tri is free, and that they will be skating. But they might be classic skiing...in any event, take advantage of the opportunity to watch. They make it look so eeeeeassyyyyy!

I have a "skate clinic with the champions" today. It's all women. I am prepared to be humbled.

Ooooh! I forgot to post about our night ski on Tuesday. Classic skiing on an ungroomed single track trail in the dark with headlamps. It was SO fun. I think we're going to try to go out tonight if it clears up (full moon).
    Last edited by yellow; 01-11-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Umm...I didn't see any face plants when we skied a few weeks ago. Negativity NOT ALLOWED!!
    Ha! Horrible conditions (as in, even the experts were careening down through the common area) at the beginning of class forced us to spend a lot of time on one-legged drills so I actually learned to turn effectively. Friends went out with us after on the ungroomed trails and on a hillside I wanted to traverse I pulled a real live genuine 180 degree turn. Only person who didn't fall all day - in nearly 5 hours of skiing.

No, I didn't watch the skate skiing (no classic) as that leg started when our friends arrived to ski over on the NFS trails and it was far more important to practice my new class skills.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 01-12-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Another gorgeous ski day here in New England. I went to the local touring center, trying to get my mind off of the sudden toothache I have developed. I have a cleaning appointment Thursday, so I am trying to wait until then.
    Gee, I thought most people would be working on a Monday morning! There were a lot more people than I expected in the parking lot.
    I didn't do anything special, just 2 different loops for about an hour and a half. The skiing is pretty good here, for a local place, but I get totally lost when I am alone, so I kept to the trails I know. It's like there are loops within loops within loops. But the sun was shining and it was a perfect temperature, about 25. Hopefully, there will be more days like this before my classes start on the 27th.
    Unfortunately, my tooth still hurts.

Well, I don't know if it would deserve a thread of its own, but have any of you ladies tried winter triathlon? I've signed up for one and I'm already getting very afraid.

Well, the winter tri nationals were Sunday during my first classic lesson so you now have nothing to fear. Go do it for fun. If you look at the results (first link in the link below), you'll see that there were definitely people out there just for fun or to finish or whatever.

http://centraloregonracing.com/results.htm

Hmm, it's as an age grouper at World Champs
    If anyone has done one of these before, I'd welcome any thoughts about the experience.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll now admit that I signed up for a 4-session skate class. I'm going to learn to stand up even if everyone around me falls down laughing.