Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm pretty sore today! I was able to ski fairly pain-free, but everything else hurts. Just lotsa sore muscles and a coupla bruises - no real injuries. I think I really am 42

Anyone gearing up for the next cross-country season?
    I know it's only October but I'm trying to get myself training a bit more and thinking about what races to do.

Not yet, but I'd better start getting wax on my rock skis. Usually we've had an inch once or twice by now - so far only one day with reports of flakes in the air. I've usually stopped biking by now, anyway. I did get my poles out for a walk this evening.

Holy Smokes, snow now???? Where do you live Skierchickie??
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

In the thumb of Michigan's other mitten. Calumet.

I wish we had snow now. Usually we've had some on the ground by now, but not this year. Thanksgiving is normal first storm of the season time, but I remember 2 years in a row when we started skiing in early November.

I did have a really fun birthday mountain bike ride with my DH tonight.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I hope to get some xc skiing in this year. I have to travel to snow from here, but it's worth it once I'm there. Y'all are lucky to be able to ski out your door.

There have been a few inches on the ground in the mts. of Eastern Oregon. I'm ready for it, too. Last year we were skiing before Christmas--that's unusual.

Why do I have to work? It gets in the way of all I really WANT to do.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Whoo Hoo!!! Can't wait to break out the skis..I love cross country and back country skiing. Just about a month or 2 until I can hit the trails!!! YEAH!! Can you tell I am excited!!!

Time to get this rolling....

We've had skiable snow for almost 2 weeks. Not enough, but yet enough. The area nearest my house is mostly stubble, grass and rocks, but the MTU trails are fantastic! They have the trails in such great shape that they can be rolled with minimal snow, so they've been really nice. Smooth, fast-ish - even enough for them to set tracks! Plus, they added 10 k or so of more intermediate trails this year, so I could ski for 2 hours without repeating anything. Marquette has had a lot more snow than we have, but so far it doesn't seem to matter.

Whoo hoo!

I'm also trying to put my hands on a new pair of Madshus Nanosonic SCs, but with little luck so far. My local shop no longer carries my beloved Maddogs, and K2 (who is the distributor now, apparently) appears to be out of the ones I want. However, another shop downstate is on the case now, so I still have hope. My old Hypersonics are 11 years old (both pairs), with lots of Ks on them, so I live in fear of breaking one.

Hope all you fellow nordic-heads are out there having fun!

No snow yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    I'm also trying to put my hands on a new pair of Madshus Nanosonic SCs, but with little luck so far.
    Is this what you are talking about? This is the same shop as WebCyclery and I was admiring all the Madshus over the weekend.

http://www.webskis.com/product.php?p...8&cat=0&page=1
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

So I have a question, DH and I fell in love with Red River, NM and want to go back in the winter. He wants to try downhill skiing but I am a weenie. Cross country though looks like a lot of fun, is it hard to learn as a newbie? Looks like you just glide along, it can't be that easy? We may do a long weekend in Red River sometime in the winter. We should do that for my birthday in the bitter cold of February.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Amanda, it's fairly easy to pick up. Once you catch on to the kick & glide, you can just enjoy the sights. Stick to the easy tracks at first. It wouldn't hurt to have a lesson from someone. It's lots less expensive than downhill and a terrific workout.

SadieKate: Thanks for the link. Those are almost the ones. I was looking for the SCs, not the Rs. The SC model is for softer conditions. That is a really good price. Skis are one thing I want to handle before I buy - too many things to look at. My shop ordered a pair for me, but both were flawed in the same way in the same place on the ski, and they were the Rs, and were also too stiff.

It doesn't matter anymore - DH lost his job yesterday, so no new skis this year. I'm an emotional wreck right now, especially because I was almost done with my Christmas shopping. I'm more in "what can I return" mode all of a sudden. And crying a lot, when I'm not in denial mode. At least I can still ski as much as possible, just won't be doing any expensive races or traveling. I just looked, and one of my favorite races (which happens to be near my parents' house, so lodging isn't an issue) is up to $76 . Sigh.

Skierchic- I am so sorry! My dad got laid off at the beginning of December when I was in 4th or 5th grade, it was very traumatic for us as kiddos. ((HUGS))
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan