Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

To disable ads, please log-in.

12-18" ? Good grief. Well, you won't have to drive anywhere else to go skiing. When I lived in my Chicago suburb apartment, I used to ski over to a local park and have some fun. Found a few other folks were skiing there, too, when we had enough snow. Would even ski out in our residential area streets before they were plowed. Lots of fun. Good memories.

They are too vigorous with plowing here to really do that. We tried last year, in the neighborhood behind our little condo street, and there was not enough snow on the street, despite a foot on the ground and still snowing. So, we snow shoed on the unplowed sidewalk, and that, in a nut shell is how I hurt my back! Heavy, wet snow.
    So, our private road has had the contractors out here at least 5 times since 6 AM. They have plowed the street, shoveled our walks, and the driveways of those who have garages. I don't, so I went out twice and brushed the snow off of my car. First time, at noon, had about 8-9 inches. At 6 pm at least the same amount, but light and powdery, thankfully, because this morning, it was heavier. The snow between my car and my neighbor's was up to my knees or higher. Thankfully, DH is out of town, so they plowed his spot. I live off of Main St., a numbered state road, so it is always plowed well. Yes, some neighborhoods are not plowed so vigorously during the storm, but are down to the ground, the next day. Kind of amazing.
    I have lowered my expectations for tomorrow; I wanted to go to NH (just about 45 min-hr away to the best ski place), but I am not sure the roads up to there will be OK, so I will go to the local ski area in the next town. With this amount of snow, it will be fine. When the snow gets sketchy, too many rocks, twigs, etc. And, most golf courses around here don't allow skiing, because of liability. That's how I taught myself to ski, in 1992. I will report back tomorrow!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Best of luck. Hope you can get out. Please do report back.

OK, here's my report. As I drove to the nordic center, I realized I maybe should have applied Glide on my skis, as it was 32 out already. But, I didn't go back and hoped for the best. Got there about 40 minutes after opening and they were still plowing the large lot. Got my pass and off I went. I do the same 10k loop every time I go to this place.
    Scenery was outstanding, but the conditions were weird. There didn't seem to be as much snow on the trails/woods as I thought, maybe because the storm started out as wet snow, then turned to powder. Gliding in the tracks was fine, so it wasn't sticky like do an endo sticky, but when I went to ski downhill (hills are smaller here), it was like I couldn't turn my skis, they were sticking, which made for some awkward descents. Skiing on the corduroy on flats was OK, too, but there were a lot of dumps of blown snow in the middle of the trails, as the wind was gusting about every 5-10 minutes. So, that was interfering with descending, too. The downhills at this place often have moguls from the rocks or just natural variations in the land, but when there is a lot of snow, it doesn't make a difference. For all of the powder we had, these bumps were quite noticeable. Anyway, the hardest trail was open, so I climbed up it with no issue, hardly had to herringbone. Right before the final short, curvy, and steep descent, there's another very short curvy descent and I kind of fell there, as my ski got caught in a snow pile and I just couldn't turn. I wasn't splayed out on the trail, though, kind of on my bum, so I got up quickly, there was a couple behind me, but they had slowed, so they didn't see it! I skied a little bit extra on a loop right near the end, so I did about 10.5K
    When I got back, it was *mobbed.* Lots of fit moms with very young kids and lots of teens, as a lot of districts are closed today. I saw a friend who was just starting out when I left, but I declined to go out with her and her group again, as the conditions were deteriorating.
    The parking lot was a pile of slushy mud. Ugh. I leaned my skis against the car and they fell in it. Oh well, they dried by the time I got home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0089.jpeg 
Views:	209 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	18328  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sounds like you were hitting snows that differed in temperature and consistency. I notice that variation in consistency of snow when we get snow that falls a few degrees, one side or the other, around the freezing point. Even the small difference between snow falling out in the open versus snow falling backing the woods gets you different snow. Nomud for us, yet, because we still have a lot of packed snow, but it's coming.