Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Acupuncture

Acupuncture

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey,

I'd just like a smidgen bit more info on when you first start acupuncture.

How did you feel after your first session?

Do you have to lay on your stomach?

Do you have any suggestions on what not to eat before or after?? Actually, any suggestions would be great.

I'm wandering around the net looking for further info but if anyone can guide me to a good website, that would be wonderful.

Tanks

C

I've done acupuncture twice. I felt fine afterwards and how I lay depended on the area that was troubled. I think I was on my back both times. Don't think I did anything different as far as eating was concerned. YMMV I guess. I really wanted acupuncture to work but it didn't...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I had acupuncture 2x a week for about 8 months, back in 1994, for endometriosis. No pain from the needles during, I was on my back, and felt a definite good feeling afterwards. It was that good endorphin feeling you get after a hard workout. I don't remember any restrictions on eating. It helped with the endo, but it was a very gradual improvement, week by week.

Good luck!

tanks

Kg & B101-thanks for your replies. I know that acupuncture might not work for everyone and i might not even notice any changes. However, i'll give it a shot & see.

I've always wondered about how I could fit acupuncutre into my life. I thought about how it could help my thyroids but never took it any further. Now that i'm on the mend, i'd like a little extra healing help.

Just some crazy thoughts on a tues night.

C

CC - I see Pika for acupuncture approx. every two weeks. Most of the time I am on my back. If you are uncomfortable laying on your stomach because of your knee or shoulder, let your practitioner know right away. Once the needles are in you don't get to move around much if at all, for however long they are in.

I like the part where she checks my balance by looking at my tongue and feeling my pulse. There are different pulses for kidneys, etc, so I really like hearing what she finds.

It will probably be helpful for you to be well hydrated before you go (but not that you've had so much to drink you'll have to get up to go to the bathrroom!); and afterward you might have a bit of dehydration - it never hurts to drink more water.

Because I have been so sick, and we're working on internal organs, I will sometimes feel really wiped out after a session, but more often than not I actually have more energy.

I've had jaw problems as long as I can remember, and we recently started treating my jaw with acupuncture. I wish I had done this years ago. It's not like it is cured, but it sure has made a difference!!

My advice: if you click with your practitioner, and you're comfortable there, tell him/her anything that comes into your mind - how you've felt physically and emotionally, if you've had any interesting events (anything - forgetfullness, dizzyness, an interesting reaction to food, changes in energy), even if you've had interesting dreams. A good practitioner will consider your whole being, and won't want to overlook anything that may be relevant to your balance.

Whew. Hope I answered your questions. If you have any more let me know!

You go tomorrow, don't you?

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Here's a link to the links page from my sister's website, for more reading. She recommends a light meal and plenty of water before treatments.