Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i like

To disable ads, please log-in.

There's a book by Neal Peart called the masked rider - its about his bike trip in africa. he's a really good writer

I also liked metal cowboy (i think mentioned already)

there's also Wheel within a wheel which is a short narrative about a woman learning to ride in the 1800's (or was it early 1900's). its a great read

On the trail of marco polo by fotheringham is about the authors ride along the silk road. another great read.

one gear no breaks by Lori Ann muenzer

if you want a no bike book that's funny read Julie and Julia, its a riot!

Happy reading!

han
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I'll second the suggestion for Llamas and Empanadas, I really enjoyed Eleanor's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I can't recall the author, but there is a great nonfiction book called Twenty-One Days In July.

It is a very interesting and engaging book about the TdF. Well written and lots of fun...not dry, but also very informative.
    John Wilcockson. I have the book. All about Lance and the tdf.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    John Wilcockson. I have the book. All about Lance and the tdf.
    Funny, I don't remember it being so much about Lance. I learned so much about the TourDF itself, and the towns, etc.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I had to put Riding with The Blue Moth down....I tried and got 2/3 of the way through...but the writing was so incredibly numb, affectless and sentimental that I couldn't finish it. His homilies and metaphors were so overwrought, they read like afterthoughts.

I was drawn to it because I loved the title..."blue moth" is a great metaphor for depression....but he doesn't go deep enough to do more than say I was depressed.

I kept waiting to share the bike and the feelings of grief... but it all stayed on the surface...Anyway...

I did start reading Dan Coyle's Lance Armstrong's War...what a thriller! And he's a good writer...
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

pie

Tim Mulliner's Long Ride For A Pie

It's the story of an expat NZlander who bikes from London to NZ..Not a bad book!

c

what a great title!!!

Besides It's Not About the Bike which I liked a lot.

I've read Miles From Nowhere and I liked it a lot too.
    Weird thing about reading that book my daughter and sil were on their honeymoon in Tahiti and Moorea just as I was finishing the book! That's where the bike journey finishes for the Savages too. When they came home and told me all about the islands I really felt I had been there too.

I have but yet to read this book; A Crossing by Brian Newhouse
    A ride from the Pacific to the Atlantic. I'll keep it out and start reading it tonight. Thanks for the reminder!
    And thanks for the good suggestions!
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

it's not about cycling but

it's the best book I've read in a long time.
    Madscot13 sent me A Walk In The Woods by one of my favorite writers,Bill Bryson.
    Last edited by Zen; 01-01-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Not about biking, but worth reading for any outdoorsman---Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. Read about it here: http://www.deepsurvival.com/

Laura
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

I second It's Not About the Tapas. I loved it, and wanted to run away and do a solo bike trip! Hubby and son vetoed that idea!
    Cyclists know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Finished Lance Armstrong's War which I really enjoyed...I rented the 04 TdeF so I could see some of the events he describes. Some inspired moments in that book. I think it is my fave so far.

I ordered the Krabbe book and another called , I think, The Need for a Bike....

I want to read the Llamas book...anyone want to do a trade?