Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I can't do it! *sob*

To disable ads, please log-in.

I like to think that I can do most all the basic things on my bike. But I just tried for an hour to put the continental GP 4000 tires on my wheels. And I COULDN'T do it!!!

I'm so put out!!! i tried all the tricks, including that squeeze the tire up and around thing on TE. Phooey! I'm just a wimpy girl! *pout* *pout*

I know that continentals are known to be tight but this is not the first time that they have been mounted on the wheels. If I can't get them on, then I can't change the tubes out on my own. So, what good are they???

"Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

poo

Silver-you're not a wimpy girl!!!! Sheep kappoops no!!! You're the km queen.

I'm sure there's a way to get them on...

C

thanks CC. the upside is that I'll just have to ride the new american classic wheels with the continental supersonic tires. i didn't intend to use them for training rides, but my choices are put the old bontrager tires back on, ride the american classics, or not ride at all.

I'll take them to Derek later in the week and see if he can show me how to do it.

Whoops! thought of another option....I could ride the old bike. See another reason to have more than one bike.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Silver, you're not necessarily a wimpy girl (your term). Have you ever changed tires before? New tires need a little stretching. Just because you can't get them on now doesn't mean you won't be able to change them after they've been on the rims for a week or two.

And if you've never put tires on, don't despair. A good mechanic should be able to show you some little tricks that will help, even with a tight tire/rim match.

Lorri

ps -- I'm no mechanic, but I put new tires on my bf's bike last night while he made dinner for us -- now there's a role reversal for you!

tight tires

I tried to put tires on wheels in the past. I do not have the hand strength no matter how much cursing and manhandling I used. I just am not capable.
    I've been lucky all these years (nearly 20) in that I rarely ever have flats. I've been able to catch a ride from a trusted neighbor the two times I've lost air due to a nail or piece of glass.
    You're a better bikie than me if you can accomplish this.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    I'm no mechanic, but I put new tires on my bf's bike last night while he made dinner for us -- now there's a role reversal for you!
    That's my family too. I change the tires, he folds the clothes. I win!

Silver - new tires are always tight. After you get a few miles on them, you'll be able to change it. I ride Conti's and the first time I mount the tires is always a struggle.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I haven't done a lot of tire changing but I have changed tubes on the side of the road by myself and I've put on new tires by myself before (OK, just once, when I put together my new American Classic wheels). I thought I had strong hands. These 4000's have been on the wheels before. I used them for about 2 weeks back in August.

This morning my hands are sore and scraped.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

I'm going to go talk to Derek about them. He's a new machanic that I've just found on the other side of town. He's great about explaining things.

Yeah, I remember trying to put Contis on the for the first time years ago - I was soooo frustrated! Here is a tip, put them in the oven at 200 degrees to warm them up. This helps some. I know that does not help when you are thinking about changing a flat on the road, but like the rest of the te'ers say, they will get looser on the rim as you ride them. You may always need to use some help from your tire irons though! So be careful not to pinch the tube

spoke

Did you just use your hands, or did you try prying them over with the lever?

I remember I had a heck of a time putting my new Contis on last spring.

Silver, I feel your pain. Have you tried the tires in the dryer trick? I tried this the last time I mounted new tires and it worked. The warmth makes them slightly more flexible.

Good luck!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've always had better luck using tire irons to mount tires as well as remove them. You just have to be a little extra careful not to pinch the tube.

Know your struggle. Same tires it would take me FOREVER to get them on. They will stretch out. I like the oven idea!

Warning. I would also be so frustrated with getting the tires on the first time, that I'd end up with a pinch flat. And then I'd get to do it again. I'm going with gator skins now, which aren't as tight.

sarah

I had to take my tire on and off three times the last time I changed a flat. When I finally got help, my hands were so spent that I couldn't do it the last time and so I asked the person who stopped to do it for me.

Karen

Try using the tyre levers.

I was rully rully happy I didn't even have to resort to them when I put my hard case tire on last week. My rims are cooperative

Had the same problem with Conti Gatorskins.
    Beaded tyres are a nightmare to try to fit.
    My top tip is to always buy folding tyres. A lot of tyres come in two versions - beaded and folding. The folding variety are a breeze to fit in comparison - and are every bit as strong as the beaded type - just less pain on the knuckles.
    Life is Good!