Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duathlon advice

Duathlon advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies!
    One of my goals for the year is to participate in a duathlon this August. It's a 2 mile run/12 mile bike/ 2 mile run, and I did the biking leg in 2003 (on my mountain bike) as a favor to my friend who runs. Well, this year we are both going to go solo. My goal is to finish as I'm not much of a runner. Any tips on what to do in the next eight months to prepare myself? I will be on a road bike this year.

The course is almost all flat for the running but rolling and overall slightly downhill on the return for the ride.

And to show how much of a novice I really am at this (and how much I didn't pay attention the year I was there):
    1. Do you wear bike shorts and run in them or go for the biking comfort and deal with the padded shorts for the run?
    2. Do you take the time to change shoes or just wear running shoes, giving up the advantages of clipping in to the pedals?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Plays in dirt!

I have never done one because my knees don't run, but friends who have say the transition itself is the most difficult (i.e., painful) part. They've said you really need to fit that into your training program.

On the shorts, can you afford (or already own) a pair of lighter tri-style or spin-style shorts? I would think a light thin pad would get you comfortably through a race of this length. Cyclocrossers wear padded shorts and they do plenty of running (and lots of transitions).

They sell tri shorts on this site, I think. My friend who does tri's always uses tri shorts because she says it gets really uncomfortable to run in cycling shorts.

Training: add bricks to your workout routine. In other words practice the run/bike and bike/run (most important) stuff. You need to be familiar with that "wobbly" feeling. You can also practice transitions: changing from bike shoes to running shoes and getting your helmet on/off quickly.

Gear: I stick with bike shoes. I find the advantages of cycling shoes outweigh the transition time. Again, practice this switch in training.

Running in lightly-padded (or tri) shorts is way way more comfortable than trying to ride in running shorts IMHO. Running shorts tend to be waaaay tooo short and just kinda creep up and get really uncomfortable on the bike. Again: practice running in bike shorts in training.

Other things to consider: eat (gel works best for these short-distance events) and drink drink drink on the bike.

Thanks!

Just the stuff I was looking for. I'll probably have more questions as the year progresses. How nice to know there are people who will help. This is a really big deal to me as I've never done anything like it. I'm already getting excited.

Thanks again.
    Plays in dirt!

well - and be sure and tell us how you do!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Hey Dirt Girl!

Another great site from triathlon/duathlon gear is http://www.tri-zone.com

I'm not a triathlete (hate the water ) but love a lot of the gear 'cause its so light weight. They have all the apparel a growing tri/dua thalete could want.

spazzdog
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Yikes, spazzdog!

I don't plan on making this duathlon thing a habit (but I guess five years ago I didn't think I'd have a bike habit either ). I promise I'll NEVER swim, though. Water is not for me either.

I'm doing it as a challenge to myself and as a way to get my runner friend on the bike more. She wanted me to do the team thing again, but I told her the only way I'd go back is if we both go solo.

Maybe I need to look into the MOUNTAIN bike/run duathlons...

And who doesn't like the excuse for more gear?!

DG
    Plays in dirt!

You gals are making me laugh! I hate swimming but I love to fish and row whitewater. Just don't make me put my face in the water and hold my breath!

Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!

Water Leg

Sadie that was hilarious!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Originally posted by SadieKate
    Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!

Water Leg
    Is this where the bumper sticker saying came from - "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle?"
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

You know, I've never been able to figure out that saying. Too literal minded, I guess.

I do know I love the sounds of running water in the river ever so much better than the roar of plugged ears. Geez, I'm glad I'm all grown up and don't have to take swimming lessons all summer long.

Custom TRIs...

...cool.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!"
    -------------------------------------------------
    Make mine a mountain bike/Nordic ski/hike. Notice: NOTHING to do with water. No swimming, no standing in it to fish, no touching the fish that live in it.

Okay, so I will drink it.
    Plays in dirt!

Re: Custom TRIs...

Originally posted by Dirt Girl
    Make mine a mountain bike/Nordic ski/hike. Notice: NOTHING to do with water. No swimming, no standing in it to fish, no touching the fish that live in it.
    Now, wait a minute. Just what are you skiing on? Strikes me that snow is just water in another form.

I thought about that while skiing today, but if I fall in it, I can just dust myself off and not get WET, thus making it more similar to dirt than water.

Dirt Girl likes dirt!
    Plays in dirt!