Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Sterling

Sterling

To disable ads, please log-in.

This was my 6th race and the first in sub-freezing weather. Temps were in the low 20's when we were starting, but bright sunshine and light winds. It had rained the day before so there was some ice under the grassy slopes and some of the loose leafy areas. It was a fast course, mostly on grass with some cinder roads and pavement, two steep run-ups, one set of double barriers, and one uphill double railroad tie embankment.

So today's race was fun, but I had a really tough time on the run-ups with the ice. And the high barrier was just comical! I wasn't able to pre-ride that part of the course, so when I got up to it with my 28-inch legs, I came to a dead stop and literally had to crawl over it. A concerned spectator wanted to give me a hand to pull me up, but I resisted.

I felt pretty good starting out, but there was as major pile-up at the bottom of the first run-up. I was the last one up with much slipping and sliding. I stayed with some of the pack until the barrier, but after that I was on my own, except for all the people who lapped me. I would try to stay with them as they went by, and managed to catch up to a couple of the gals for a short bit, and pretend I was still in the race.

I also had my first "mechanical." My seat came loose and the nose was pointing up to the sky. I stopped just before the barriers and Brian pushed it back down and then I stopped in the pit and someone helped me get it back in position and tighten it down. I also had one crash around an off camber 180 turn just past the pit. So with all that, why do I think this is so much fun???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1136_1_3_1_1_4_1.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	4932  

Congratulations on finishing! It sounds like a tough race.

So with all that, why do I think this is so much fun???
    Funny, I always have the same thought! During the race, I never seem to think it's fun, but after the race, I realize that it really was a blast.

Congrats on finishing a tough race! Those conditions were brutal - I completely lost my footing at the top of the run-up on the last lap as I was passing someone, and went down on my side. I didn't get ahead of her, and she ended up besting me in the end.

As Wavedancer has said, this was a tough, but fun, course! Tom Stevens is great at designing a challenge. And FWIW, My 5'10" self had trouble with the horse barrier, so I can't imagine how you managed it! I loved the up, 180, down section - the times that I was able to ride it without getting caught behind traffic, or slipping out on the frozen ground. That was the one time I was really cursing the single chain ring up front...

Yup 17 balmy degrees waking up yesterday, followed by a great cross race. I downloaded my stats last night, and saw that my HR average was 178, but hit 192 twice . Guess I worked for that finish - best Verge/UCI placing to date.

Interestingly, many people are at the breaking point with the cross season. I have a number of teammates and friends who have decided that they aren't heading to Nationals, despite being registered and having plane tickets. It's been a long season for sure.

I think I will head to the MRC race in Wrentham next weekend - you going? That will be my last one until Natz.

Congrats again - I thought you looked great out there (and thanks to Brian for not heckling me this week ).

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

SheFly had a great race! I only got to see you at the start and when you lapped me going up the run/slip-up. I plan to go to Wrentham. That's the first race I watched last year. It looked like a fun course and I would like to give it a try.

Here's SheFly in her excellent finish:

Name:	SheFly_1_6_1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	4934  

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    So with all that, why do I think this is so much fun???
    and why do I even THINK that it sounds like fun? Oh man, it sounds like an awesome day. Congrats on your finish!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    SheFly had a great race! I only got to see you at the start and when you lapped me going up the run/slip-up. I plan to go to Wrentham. That's the first race I watched last year. It looked like a fun course and I would like to give it a try.

Here's SheFly in her excellent finish:
    Thanks for posting the pic! Yup - I had a good race, but it was all dependant on start position. I was in the front row, so missed all of the pile ups! Gave me a great start (finally) that I managed to maintain for a 5th place finish...

Wow - we really met a year ago already? Where has the time gone???

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I did Sterling, and I felt my worst this season. I wiped out in practice, falling flat on my face over the barriers. In the race, I had a nice start, but, um, then I wiped out at the bottom of that first run-up, and caused a huge pile up. Sorry. I wiped out running up on the ice a time or two. I was overdressed, and had one too many tights on and one too many hats. That horse barrier was the only time on the course that I excelled. Somehow I flew up that thing every time. Alas, I felt like I had nothing and I wanted to quit near the end, but at the last lap line, the official said I could stop - being the first one down one lap.

Nice racing, SheFly and Wavedancer!

Palmer went much better yesterday. I also am planning on Wrentham and Easthampton next week. Before this year, my record number of 'cross races in one season was 9 (last year). This year, it will be 16, possibly 2 more if I do the RI races. The number of 'cross races offered in our region is growing every year, and this year had far and away the most since I started doing 'cross 5 years ago. Also, in my first 3 years, there were usually 8 of us at the start line. Then two years ago, it jumped way up.

Name:	tmpphpEaqmV0.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	4940  
    Last edited by Voodoo Sally; 11-26-2007 at 09:55 AM.