Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nov 25 rides/Sunday

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well - its hot hot hot here

Went out in the middle of the day against my better judge ment with two of my sons. We clocked up 30km only... but I now have permanent white gloves very clearly defined!!!

On my speedo the temp read 34'C (about 97'F I think)

And summer is not officially here yet!

A good day to zip by the river and under the shade of the overhanging trees...
    Cold shower was pretty good when I got home though
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 11-25-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Coz I wrote the wrong date - silly Raven!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

It's not Sunday yet!

I miss the heat.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

OK then....It's still Saturday Nov 24 here...V, I think we are at opposite ends of the time zone line from Raven...

and it's bl**dy cold! 40 degrees...But it is glorious weather for riding!!!

I went for a 10 mile ride on JA-bike and what used to seem like a long ride is like a sneeze now is that all there is?...overcast, cold, hardly anyone out on one of my favorite trails which is long and windy and goes through parks and wetlands and woods and over bridges and across streets and around sharp curves
    ... I realized how much harder a straight and flat ride is...I get kinda bored....

I had that sensation of floating on my bike, but only when I coasted...it was like no part of me was heavy....now I want to get that when I peddle too!

I LOVE JA-Bike!! I love the dropped bars with 6 hand positions and the smooth shifting and my new brown Brooks...
    and I love my wool..ever since my last shipment arrived, I put the stuff straight on ...and have only taken off the socks to take a shower!! (it must not have been that long ago...:-)
    Last edited by elk; 11-24-2007 at 06:27 PM.

hey elk, I took the dogs out for the first time on the bike today. It was also the first time using the walkydog. I had two dogs on it, we went only about 2.5 miles but it was on pavement, not what I like to do any distance with them on. I had a boot on monkey's lame foot but she never put it down- biking isn't going to be the therapy for her, she needs something where she'll use the foot. She pulled the whole way, on three legs, and I wouldn't have had to pedal if I didn't want to (back to treadmill or leash walking, she'll use the foot more on those). Macan runs alongside with no pulling. They did see some deer, and gave the bike a good yank. No danger of going over, but more than I feel on the springer. My seatpost doesn't have enough room for the springer, and barely enough for the walkydog. If I were to do it much, I'd have to get a non-suspension seatpost so there would be more room!
    They were ready for more, and I was too, but my husband had set out on foot with our son on a tricycle, and he was cold and ready to go- and I didn't want to run the dogs on the pavement any more.
    vickie

enjoyed my nice ride today. perfect weather. not too hot not too cold. wore my shorts and my short sleeve jersey.

just a short ten miler. Almost toppled over while trying my old trick of track stand at a stop light. dropped my chain while chasing a car and had to get off my bike on a hill to catch my breath.

Still it was a gorgeous day for riding. plan on attacking the hill again Sunday. carefully starting up my base miles while babying my back...

Smilingcat

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    hey elk, I took the dogs out for the first time on the bike today. It was also the first time using the walkydog. I had two dogs on it, we went only about 2.5 miles but it was on pavement, not what I like to do any distance with them on. I had a boot on monkey's lame foot but she never put it down- biking isn't going to be the therapy for her, she needs something where she'll use the foot. She pulled the whole way, on three legs, and I wouldn't have had to pedal if I didn't want to (back to treadmill or leash walking, she'll use the foot more on those). Macan runs alongside with no pulling. They did see some deer, and gave the bike a good yank. No danger of going over, but more than I feel on the springer. My seatpost doesn't have enough room for the springer, and barely enough for the walkydog. If I were to do it much, I'd have to get a non-suspension seatpost so there would be more room!
    They were ready for more, and I was too, but my husband had set out on foot with our son on a tricycle, and he was cold and ready to go- and I didn't want to run the dogs on the pavement any more.
    vickie
    yeah...Maudie doesn't even breath hard after 1.5 miles...but I don't want to rush it on her pads...still looking for a good place to run her!

Talking 160k ride.

1st time I've posted in one of the date ride posts - but I wanted to share my ride. Yesterday I did the ride in NZ called Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. www.cyclechallenge.com I had hoped to just finish it when I got my road bike in May, then I figured about 6:30 would be good. When I broke my wrist, I thought that I may not even get to do the ride, but kept up spin classes and seemed to keep up my fitness OK. Fast track to race day....

Very very nervous - what if I can't finish? What if I get a puncture b/c my wrist still isn't strong enough to change a tyre without help or about 30minutes! Apparently close to 14000 entrants - what if I'm in a crash. Basically all nervous energy.

Well a great race -
    Conditions: overcast, but still warm. Light breeze so humidity not a problem.
    Started in a group in middle of field so not crazy competitive and also not full of people who've never done bunch riding.
    Got dropped on the flats (training focus for next year maybe?), but always caught up the bunches on the hills & there were lots of them. (very satifying to see guys who dropped me, off their bikes stretching out cramp & even walking bikes up the hill as I just cruised up and got to top of hill ahead and could enjoy the rush down the otherside) Food good- just basically ate every time I saw someone else eating. That's usally a prob for me - I forget to eat.

Finished in 5hours,38minutes. OMG!!!! My top speed was 70.2k (43.6mi) according to my computer. Wish I could remember where that was. Can I say that again? 5:38! Nothing could wipe the smile off my face.
    Last edited by nomummytummy; 11-25-2007 at 12:18 AM.

So jealous of the warm temps. It's not as cold here today, but the weather is kinda wet and cool. I'm thinking about plopping the bike on the trainer and doing intervals while watching football.

sigh.

Well done nomummytummy
    I was asking Mum (in Taradale not far from Raven) about the round Taupo in my weekly phone-call on Friday. She said the weather was ok.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    It's not Sunday yet!
    V.
    Oh V... and I suppose you are going to tell me that its not Monday now... despite me having to go to make school lunches and go to work!

Oh, and NMT
    I was wondering how you found Lake Taupo (apart from down the incline and there's a lake...)
    Glad you had a positive experience - it's quite an achievement here - a notch on one's belt, so to speak, to say you've done Taupo
    Well done you

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

It is Sunday here in gray, chilly, damp Kentucky! I tossed my new bike in the back of my car in hopes the rain would hold off until late afternoon. First, I went to Mass, then I did a little Christmas shopping and treated myself to lunch. Still dry so I headed over to the 2 o'clock club ride. Despite the chilly temps (50 F) it was a fine ride and my new bike provided me with a great ride. It, as I've said before, is so smooth and light. My speed is constant with my other bike but I do notice a difference on how I feel. I'm heading in tomorrow for a professional bike fitting for I can tell the saddle is not where it should be.

Today's ride was fast and I was able to hang with the fast pack for the first half of the ride. Rode 22.06 miles and averaged 17.29 mph - I'm happy! Looks like the week will be spent on the trainer for the forecast does no hold any promise of warm &/or dry days. As much as I love winter I miss the hot summer days.
    Marcie

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by nomummytummy View Post
    1st time I've posted in one of the date ride posts - but I wanted to share my ride. Yesterday I did the ride in NZ called Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. www.cyclechallenge.com I had hoped to just finish it when I got my road bike in May, then I figured about 6:30 would be good. When I broke my wrist, I thought that I may not even get to do the ride, but kept up spin classes and seemed to keep up my fitness OK. Fast track to race day....

Very very nervous - what if I can't finish? What if I get a puncture b/c my wrist still isn't strong enough to change a tyre without help or about 30minutes! Apparently close to 14000 entrants - what if I'm in a crash. Basically all nervous energy.

Well a great race -
    Conditions: overcast, but still warm. Light breeze so humidity not a problem.
    Started in a group in middle of field so not crazy competitive and also not full of people who've never done bunch riding.
    Got dropped on the flats (training focus for next year maybe?), but always caught up the bunches on the hills & there were lots of them. (very satifying to see guys who dropped me, off their bikes stretching out cramp & even walking bikes up the hill as I just cruised up and got to top of hill ahead and could enjoy the rush down the otherside) Food good- just basically ate every time I saw someone else eating. That's usally a prob for me - I forget to eat.

Finished in 5hours,38minutes. OMG!!!! My top speed was 70.2k (43.6mi) according to my computer. Wish I could remember where that was. Can I say that again? 5:38! Nothing could wipe the smile off my face.
    Ooowwwww ,fantastic well done I got to sit at the finish line from about 10.30 to 12 oclock, was really cool to see everyone finish............. expressions on faces ................. am inspired to do it next year (baring all the mini disasters that stopped me this year )