Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Self-Contained Solo Tour

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thought I'd pass along the journal and pics from my first solo self-contained bicycle trip. I've done a lot of touring but never alone. I hope this motivates other women and also reinforces the fact that while we are always vulnerable, we can do this fairly safely and have an incredible time. My three days were on rural roads in northern New Mexico and included some untraditional touring miles. It was also over Halloween!

http://crazyguyonabike.com/doc/halloween

Nicole Blouin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	4809  

Thanks for the great pictures. What a wonderful adventure. Congratulations to you!

I've only been to New Mexico once - Santa Fe for a week in March many years ago. Your pictures remind me of the beauty the state has for those who are willing to seek it out.

I ride solo often as I do longer distances than my fellow riders and understand some of what you are saying about being alone. However, I always have my own bed at the end of the day so for sure traveling to unknown parts is even more courageous.
    Nancy

Thanks Nancy

Nice to get your note. I really love the forum and it's so fun getting notes from women who ride.

I was just in CA this summer for a tour from Santa Cruzy to LA. I really enjoyed Adventure Cycling's route and the hiker-biker sites. Hope to do a journal on that soon but have pics at...

http://http://nicoleblouin.myphotoal...umName=album01

Have a great week...Nicole

Thanks so much for posting the reports and photos from your ride. I found the reading very interesting, and I love the way you write. I doubt I'd ever go it alone, but reading your account makes it seem more probable than ever!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Ditto what the others said. What an incredible journey!!! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us: it makes me really, really think about doing something like that!!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Wondeful scenery!. There is a monastery in there (Christ in the Desert, iirc)Did you see it? Amazing countryside and the solitude must have been so deep you prolly felt it was eternal. As in always now, as in no passing of time except the evidence of the sun.
    Your story has set me up for the day! (It's morning here as I write)

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Thanks Margo49, TriGirl, Kjay

Thanks for the notes. Glad you enjoyed the journal. Hope to do more soon. Feel like I'm grasping, grasping...as the touring season slowly fades away here until next spring. Trying to find ways to make it last.

Also, Margo49, yes...I've heard of Christ in the Desert Monastery. Don't think you can see it from the paved road. As I was doing my planning, I did email them about staying there because they take in travelers. It didn't work out in the final scheme of mileage/lodging though.

Cheers, Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Loved reading your story, thanks for sharing it!

Anne

Nicole,

I loved reading your thread. Would love to do that sometime but you're braver than me. Great pictures. I love NM and was in Abiqui and ate some of the best frito pie at Bode's this summer. Congratulations, I'm in awe!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Maybe someday I'll try touring on my own, but not right away :-) When we tour with our group of friends, we start out together, but I end up riding mostly alone during the day (I'm slow) but meet up with them at a lunch stop and then again at end of the day. I kinda like it this way for now.

A friend of ours is touring right now, started from here in Portland, headed north to Vancouver, BC, then south all down the coast. She is now in Mexico. Some of the tour has been alone and some with others. She is keeping a journal under title "Myrtle the Turtle Trike Tour"
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=2126&v=JK

Some of her adventures are good reading.

Loved reading about your tour :-)
    Edna