Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shoulder pain!! OW!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been swimming twice a week and lifting weights once or twice a week, nothing too crazy. Last time for weights was on Sunday, last swim was Monday. On Tuesday I went fishing, and on the drive home I started to notice that my right shoulder was hurting. It got worse as the evening progressed, so I popped some advil and iced it, which helped. Wed morning there was no pain, but to be safe I skipped my swim and weights and did a bike/run brick instead. Yesterday I did nothing (except stuff myself). But today I woke up with the pain again.

A description of the pain - it is kind of a sharp pain, intermittent, and not dependent on whether I am actually moving or using the shoulder. At times it doesn't hurt at all, and then a few minutes later it hurts no matter what position my arm is in. It seems to hurt the most if I exhale deeply.

Any idea what this could be, and what I should do? Thanks.....

where is the pain located? Anterior (front), posterior, the top or side? What kind of swimming do you do?? Do you do freestyle, butterfly? Also what type of fishing? Spin or Fly. The only reason why I ask is because each of these utilizes different muscle groups in different ways.

The pain seems to be located on top and in the front. As the day has progressed, it has become less sharp and more dull. I did some biking & running this morning and it feels OK right now.

I am swimming freestyle, although on Monday I tried backstroke for the first time in years. When I swim freestyle I have a strong tendency to want to breathe on my left side, but I have been practicing bilateral breathing and did this on Monday during my freestyle workout (which was only about 1300yd). Fishing is spin and I have kind of a sidearm cast.

I don't know if this matters at all, but I played softball for many years as a child/teenager, but haven't played much since. This is my throwing shoulder and I never had any problems with it that I can recall. I guess my point in mentioning this is that my shoulder was used A LOT back in the day (which really wasn't that long ago I guess, I'm 26).

I would continue to ice and rest your shoulder. It sounds like repetitive strain, possibly of the bicep tendon. When you start back with lifting make sure you are doing correct form when you complete shoulder flexion type of exercises.

+1 on the bicep tendon, and ask someone to check your posture to be sure you aren't impinging the critter. (check posture through-out the day)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'll skip the swimming and weights for a week or so. I have a sprint tri (my first) in 2 weeks and I want to be healthy for it.

Thanks for the advice!!