Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

I’m not here to crash the party…

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wanted to come over here and thank a few of you. SouthernGirl and Trek420 specifically.

I am a Soldier currently deployed to Iraq. On another forum, I ask if anyone had a Mountain Bike to sell me. Maybe an older one that wasn’t ridden any longer. I own a couple of Cannondales, but didn’t want them shipped over here. I wanted a bike I could leave for the next Soldier when I come home.

I used to be an avid rider and raced cross-country all over Germany. In 1997 I crashed down a mountain coming off a 30 foot jump when the pin holding my rear suspension sheered. I broke my back and cracked a hip. That was a long recovery, but here I am still in the Army, and still riding, although my racing days are long past.

In any case, a few people on our camping forum including SouthernGirl all offered to help me out with a bike, and wouldn’t take any money from me. I now have a fine Tempest GT and a good set of tires just arrived today. I will be ridding very soon and that will be a huge stress release for me.

SouthernGirl and Treck420 sent me the inner tubes, water bottle, energy bars and a helmet (and they guessed the right size). I am all set and I thank all of you that contributed to me and any other Soldier here you have helped. I have been in the Army for 22 years, and I do what I do because I believe in our Country, I believe in the good of our citizens, I believe in you.

You have made an old Soldier very happy and very proud to serve such fine people. I truely thank you all.

Bruce

We have some pretty awesome ladies here!

Oh, and Bruce, don't worry about crashing our party - everyone is welcome here!

Take care.

Master Sergeant! I'm sorry to say that I was not in on it, but I'm so happy that you got the bike! My son spent a year where you are (and could go back soon), so I know how thrilled I was when wonderful people were so thoughtful to him. There are some great people here and not all are women! Welcome.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!!! enjoy the bike!
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Hall View Post
    I wanted to come over here and thank a few of you. SouthernGirl and Trek420 specifically.

I am a Soldier currently deployed to Iraq. On another forum, I ask if anyone had a Mountain Bike to sell me. Maybe an older one that wasn’t ridden any longer. I own a couple of Cannondales, but didn’t want them shipped over here. I wanted a bike I could leave for the next Soldier when I come home.

I used to be an avid rider and raced cross-country all over Germany. In 1997 I crashed down a mountain coming off a 30 foot jump when the pin holding my rear suspension sheered. I broke my back and cracked a hip. That was a long recovery, but here I am still in the Army, and still riding, although my racing days are long past.

In any case, a few people on our camping forum including SouthernGirl all offered to help me out with a bike, and wouldn’t take any money from me. I now have a fine Tempest GT and a good set of tires just arrived today. I will be ridding very soon and that will be a huge stress release for me.

SouthernGirl and Treck420 sent me the inner tubes, water bottle, energy bars and a helmet (and they guessed the right size). I am all set and I thank all of you that contributed to me and any other Soldier here you have helped. I have been in the Army for 22 years, and I do what I do because I believe in our Country, I believe in the good of our citizens, I believe in you.

You have made an old Soldier very happy and very proud to serve such fine people. I truely thank you all.

Bruce

Bruce, So glad you have a bike to ride now, and yes riding is a great stress reducer especially where you are. Stay safe over there and May God Bless and keep all of you out of harms way. Jennifer

btw- My brother in law is an Army captain and he's over there too.
    Last edited by wannaduacentury; 11-23-2007 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added a line

Bruce, Thank you for your post and enjoy the bike and stay safe!!

Thank you for your service, Bruce! So glad you got a bike!

Karen

Happy Thanksgiving, Bruce! We are thankful for you! Thank you for serving our country. May God bless and protect you,

Liberty

This is awesome and a well-timed reminder that there are good people out there.

SouthernGirl and Trek, you ladies are terrific.

Bruce, I think it's especially great that you plan on leaving your new bike for someone else to use when you come home. I hope you enjoy every mile you get on it until that time, and then I hope you doubly enjoy your Cannondales when you get back. And welcome to TE!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

What a great post! And I too would like to thank you for your service!

Hey Bruce!

Glad you find the place. We'll let you stay if you behave.

About to go ride even though it's cold out!

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    We have some pretty awesome ladies here!

Oh, and Bruce, don't worry about crashing our party - everyone is welcome here!

Take care.
    Yes we do have some incredible gals here (and a few guys )!

Bruce, you're welcome. Ride safely, well and often. We'd love to hear the ride reports from there and hope soon to hear that you're home with your beloved Cannondales (and family). They miss you

I'm glad that you got the stuff and as soon as I wipe the tears I'm gonna go on a short ride.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Bruce, first and foremost thank you for your service to our country. Soldiers are the thread that keep this country together and strong, and you are a hero to us all.
    Second- enjoy the heck out of that bike!!! Ride like a maniac over there, and get rid of some of that excess stress that I KNOW all you men and women over there have.
    Thank you, God Bless you and your fellow soldiers, and enjoy the ride!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Hall View Post
    I have been in the Army for 22 years, and I do what I do because I believe in our Country, I believe in the good of our citizens, I believe in you.

Bruce
    I too was unaware of what was happening and wish we too could have participated.

But, it is we who are proud of those, like you, who serve. Thank you for your service and sacrifice! Stay safe and come home soon!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    I too was unaware of what was happening and wish we too could have participated.
    What? You mean you don't know every single thing that happens on TE? You must have a life, or a job or .... JK.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=19503

You could still participate, it's not too late to do something like this again or start round two There's no REI in Iraq and sad to say there probably will be another soldier once our bikerguy heads home
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I thank you all for your kind words… I received a PM and was told my post was inappropriate, that this is a ladies forum, and I am not welcome, that I should have used the PM instead of posting. She also seemed offended that I included my picture saying this is not a dating service.

I just want to be clear; I have no ill intentions here, no hidden agendas, and meant absolutely no disrespect to any of you or your board. I only wanted to say thank you on thanks giving day.