Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Downhill Skiing

Hybrid View

Downhill Skiing

anyone here also into skiing? There probably is, since cycling is one of the best ways to get conditioned for skiing.

I'm in MA and frequently drive to Sunapee for day trips. Sunday River is a new favorite of mine because I have slopeside lodging available there. It's a 4.5 hour drive so when we do go we'll stay a few days and ski our butts off!

So where do you ski?

My screen name is probably a little clue that I like to ski Unfortunately, it just describes what I aspire to be, not what I actually am. It's a little tough to hit the slopes as often as I'd like to now that I live in the southeast.

I grew up skiing at Snowshoe in WV and my mom currently lives at a small ski resort in VA called Wintergreen. But, from Atlanta, it's actually easiest to hop on a plane and head out west. I like to try different places -- some of my favorites are Park City, Steamboat, Vail and Whistler.

Interesting that you mention the connection between cycling and skiing. When I was trying to get better/faster at descending on my bike, my BF told me to pretend I'm skiing. Many similarities in how you pick a line and shift your weight through turns.
    2004 Colnago Chic - WTB Deva
    2008 Blue RC7 - WTB Deva
    2009 Colnago Master X-lite - WTB Deva

Yes, I ski, but mainly on the other side of the pond from you ladies. I was in Hintertux last weekend - great snow but a little chilly.
    DH and I had a trip to Colorado for skiing and thought it was fantastic. The only thing that we could not believe was that there were no safety bars on half of the chairlifts in Steamboat

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    The only thing that we could not believe was that there were no safety bars on half of the chairlifts in Steamboat
    Bron, safety bars are kind of a "new" thing in the west, they came in with the high speed quads, though a lot of the older chairs have been retrofitted. The resort I ski, Alta, has some chairs with bars but some without still. Then you go to Vail and they have chairs with not only bars but full on shields to protect you from the elements . But I love those back bowls at Vail...

I used to backcountry ski more than ski at the resorts, but these days I find myself mostly Nordic skiing (skating) and occasionally going to the downhill resort with friends. Alta does not groom a lot of the terrain, which is what I prefer. I tend to go way faster than I have any business going on the groomed runs. I'm better off skiing off piste.

I grew up skiing Sierra cement but now live in cold smoke paradise! Here's a shot at Alta last year (I'm on the right, the others are my friends Marsha and Sandy). Let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!

That looks great!
    The back bowls in Vail were some of the best skiing I have ever done and I finally realised why people like powder. There were also a lot fewer people than you tend to get in Austria and everyone was really laid back.

I still canīt get over the no-safety bars thing! I have never seen chairs without them in Europe - even the oldest lift in Garmisch (basically a kitchen chair hung off a cable) has a safety bar. And what about US litigation culture??????? (no offence meant).

Anyway, if you think Vail is cushy with bubbles over the chairs you should go to Lech in Austria - I have heard that they have heated seats!

Bron

I do quite a biti of skiing too. I actually Tele ski. DH and I start out the ski season at the resorts untill there is enough snow in the backcountry. Onc there is enough we stop going to the resorts and head out on our own for some yo-yo skiing. Great workout and very fun. And of course, no crowds

cool, nice to see some other skiers here, and the picture is great! The lifts are running in NH, VT, and ME and it's killing me not being able to get away. So I'll just climb on the bike in the AM and one of these days I'll get to ski again.

love to ski. Used to have season passes at Snowbird when I used to live in SLC. Strictly downhill though.

Snowbird was a nice place when it first opened back in '72 or '71?? Back then you could slap you skiis on inside the aerial tram then zoom out at the top. Before Snowbird, I used to ski at Alta, Brighton and Park City. Brighton just because it was cheap $5.00 for a day pass . At Park City, my two friends and I almost got kicked out by our coach for "yapping" and not listening to his instruction. Well, what do you expect couple of 10-12 year olds.

Now days I just enjoy relaxing run on a bunny run with my partner. Showing her how to ski with instruction that makes sense unlike her ex.

safty bars.. is that what that is? just don't lean so far forward

And seat warmers on the lift? What will they think of next? heated socks and defogger for your goggles? and maybe even a heated glove?

must plan on ski trip. Atleast, my sister and my mother still lives in SLC. I ... think... I'll stay at a local B&B instead

MEOW!!
    Smilingcat

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I learned to ski at Sunday River in Maine!
    I spent lots of time skiing at Cannon in NH, also Loon and Waterville Valley.
    My sister has connections with a house near Stratton in VT, so that's where our New England skiing is done now.
    Skiing in Maryland is pretty spotty at best....Wisp in western MD, and Liberty and Whitetail in PA. Canaan Valley in WV was a hoot the one time we went there - blizzard and lots of powder!
    I have a friend who has a place in Colorado....so lately we've been doing an annual trip out there to ski Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, and others in the Summit region.
    Yeah...I ski where I have friends with lodging!
    I'm a confirmed blue square skier....I'll drop into the blacks if conditions are good. Most blacks around here are pretty tame. I'm not a big fan of bowls, but will do them if they're okay. I've never skied "real" powder (that bit in WV notwithstanding).
    Oh...and I LOVE safety bars! I'm such a wimp - but also, it's what I know. I've ridden up without them (esp. if sharing a chair with 'boarders), but it totally freaks me out.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle