Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Diva Cup

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks Doc, my pages take so long to load on this connection, I'll never say "no" if someone offers to research on the net for me
    Thanks again

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Tss

I couldn't find any cases reported of TSS related to menstrual cup use. However, one article succinctly pointed out that the abscence of reports does not mean the same as the absence of events. In addition, menstrual cup use is so much less frequent than tampon use, there will be far fewer cases.
    That being said, the cup does not interfere with the normal environment of the vagina, no drying of healthy secretions etc, so the likelihood is definitely lower.

I also believe I remember reading that the incidence of TSS was increased by the use of "perfumed" tampons which would definitely be a non-issue with a cup.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thanks again Doc and Corsair
    I am off to town again tomorrow, so will go and have another chat with the chemist and see if they can get it in for me
    Otherwise will look toward mail-ordering it myself
    ~R~

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Got a Diva Cup!

Okay ladies, all the rave reviews convinced me to give it a try. I had not liked the Keeper, which I tried years ago, but the Diva Cup sounded softer (and is), so I ordered one and have been trying it out this cycle. It's a bit tricky to insert and remove, not to mention messy, so I doubt I'll use it at work with the public rest rooms, but it's great for using at home. I mostly wanted it for cycling and kayaking, and possibly camping one day in the future as well. And of course it's much better for the environment than all those tampons.

I'm happy with it so far, and I am sure I'll get better at insertion and removal as I get practice. It's very comfy once it's in, and I've only had a little bit of leakage, nothing a pantiliner couldn't catch. Most was on a rather strenuous 1.5 mile hike last night. It's possible I still have it inserted a bit too high.

Anyway, a tentative thumbs up so far!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Em: You should be able to use it at work - it should last you 4-6 hrs even during a heavy flow. But what I do at work is just clean it in my urine stream and then wash thoroughly when I get home. I just liked the idea of not having to deal with tampons or pads in a public restroom.

and welcome to the club......gosh I wish I'da known before the end of my cycles!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

What Corsairmac said, plus ...it does take a bit of practise to start with to get the insertion and taking out sorted. It took me several cycles but it's well worth it as once in place I find it's great. Hope you get used to it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    Em: You should be able to use it at work - it should last you 4-6 hrs even during a heavy flow. But what I do at work is just clean it in my urine stream and then wash thoroughly when I get home. I just liked the idea of not having to deal with tampons or pads in a public restroom.
    Unfortunately, my work days are long enough that I'd definitely have to change it at least once on my heavy days, and the thing that would worry me the most is that my hand can get pretty bloody taking it out/putting it in, which I wouldn't want anyone else to see on my way to the sink. It can also make some pretty "interesting" sounds during removal, which might be a little embarrassing if someone else were in the rest room. I am a bit of a neat freak so would want to wash it before reinserting it as well.

I did get better at it by the end of this cycle, and it worked great during a 20-mile bike ride. I definitely think I'm going to like it, but I'll have to work up to using it at work. Too bad we don't have private rest rooms (single-stall)!

Emily
    Emily

I just had a thought: water bottle???...take a water bottle in there with you so you can rinse it and your hand and stay in the stall?? you could always fill the water bottle at the sink afterwards and make it look like you took the water botttle in there for well - some water!

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    I just had a thought: water bottle???...take a water bottle in there with you so you can rinse it and your hand and stay in the stall?? you could always fill the water bottle at the sink afterwards and make it look like you took the water botttle in there for well - some water!
    Hey, that's a great idea. I surely have enough extra water bottles, too. I'll definitely give this a try next cycle! Thanks!

Emily
    Emily

Emily
    As far as leakage goes, I found that I would leak every time that I didn't make sure that it had "popped open" inside. So I spin the darn thing until I'm sure!! Usually that is almost nothing. Sometimes I find myself spinning and spinning and spinning, in which case I take it out and start again.

As far as the sound, I agree. It's a bit gross. My husband hates it. Tough luck on him. It's better than the feel of your insides getting ripped out when you take out a tampon way too soon!

I've been using the Diva cup for the last year. It's pretty darn good, but I do need a pantyliner with it. For changing it in public restrooms, another thing to try is just wiping with tp or flushable wipes (they come in travel packs now). Also they're good for cleaning off your hand in the stall before coming out looking like something from a horror movie

I really have a problem with the spinning! I try to spin it, but it's hard to do, and I can't tell if I have really spun it all the way. Should it be as easy to do as doc makes it sound??

On a good note, the last time I used it this cycle when I was bleeding more than just a drop, I went most of the day with it in with nary a leak. When I took it out, it was nearly half full, so I guess I did it right.

Sorry if this is a bit of an overshare!

Emily
    Emily

i too have difficulty w the spinning/rotating. Darn thing doesn't seem to move. I wonder if it's because I have a tipped cervix?

Fortunately, I just had my period, so I will be FREE of such concerns during next week's aids ride!!! I'll deal w rotating the diva cup in September . . .
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Reading this thread has made me very curious about these products. I'm considering trying them. Does anyone use them who has an extremely light flow? For many years I only had 3-4 periods a year, finally got it checked out and my doc diagnosed PCOS. I was put on BC to regulate my cycles but sometimes I wonder why I take it, b/c I know i'd be flow-free w/out it. I often leave tampons in longer than recommended b/c I'm so lite. Is it worth checking these products out? How long can it be left with out needing to be washed?