Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Diva Cup

To disable ads, please log-in.

what nuthatch said. I'm what they call perimenopausal (read I'm Almost there!) and the last year has been very interesting to say the least. Right now I haven't had a period in 6 wks, but between Aug and Nov it wasn't unusual for me to have a period every 2 wks. Some heavy, some a week long, some very, Very light, some only 2 days. I also experienced what you're talking about: waking up in the middle of the night and everything is ruined and my legs are a mess. Me who had Never had anything like that before. Depending on your age - this could just be the beginning of the change for you. But as Nuthatch said...it wouldn't hurt to check with your doc if you continue to be concerned.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Irulan, Nuthatch, Corsair,

Thank you!!! I wasn't TOO concerned, but still, it was more than I'd ever experienced before so I did wonder........ I'm on day 4 now (close to 96 hrs. of what seemed like hemorraghing to me) and it is finally slowing down. I was wearing pads and tampons and black pants and changing every two hours, at the least. And not keeping up. Now, finally, it's under control. And, yes, I am definitely of an age where the "change" should be upon me. Obviously, it is! So I guess I will expect weird things from here on out and accept it as a new stage of life. I am fine with that. As long as it is "normal" for me and simply something my body needs to do as I transition into the next era, bring it on! I'm ready. Sorta a milestone year coming up for me soon. Very soon. I have a birthday in 4 days. I turn 50 YEARS on Jan. 29. I am excited about it. I am proud to be that far. I would rather be 50 than the alternative. Yada, yada, yada........... Too many quotes, platitudes, etc. I won't go into them. Just believe me, ladies, those of you who aren't there yet, keep riding your bikes!!!!! Keep living your life. It is a good place to be. I've got an entire poster filled with inspirational quotes that I will have hanging up on Saturday. We are having a celebration/party on Saturday. If any of you are in Iowa that day, let me know! You're invited!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Happy birthday, Annie! You inspire us all!

Happy Birthday Annie,

As one who is going-on-44 and kicking and screaming all the way, your words give me hope and inspiration.

Hope your day is a brilliant celebration!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Everybody sing: Happy Birthday to Annie

Happy Birthday Annie-girl! Gosh but I hope you have a GrandWonderFun Day! I threw myself a birthday party when I turned 40 (I had just gone thru a divorce and moved Cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear across the US so most of my new friends didn't know it was my birthday or my age!) I had a blast! I plan on the doing the same thing for my 50th!

By the way - theres a book called "The Pause" I can't remember the author. Its a little red "pause" book thats Wonderful. Written by a woman whos gone thru it and includes obversations from All walks of women who have gone thru it. Your story Annie brings it to mind coz there was an observation from a female news anchor with the same issue you had. She writes something about wearing 2 heavy pads, a super tampon and bladder control pants just to do her news stint on the air. Its a Great, insightful book that answered Many of My questions better than most doctors and took the "fear of the unknown" out of what I was going thru.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Happy Birthday, Annie! I, too, am suffering from the every-two-hours thing, but it only lasts for 24 hours. That's a lot of super-plus tampons, pads and underwear to wash. Here's one for all you neophytes...there are actual clots! Anyway, glad it's coming to a close (for this month.) Don't let it stop you from riding. Just be prepared.

Thumbs up Awesome!

This thing is awesome!!
    I recieved it the day after my last visit with AuntFlo, but has come for another visit and the Diva cup is now in use and working wonders. I keep expecting to leak but not a drop on tissue. I am thrilled, seems to be unnoticed (comfy) and going to go for a ride today to put it to another test. I plan to tell my sisters the results after today. Funny thing that normally I dread this time of month, but think it will be much easier to cope with having this product. No more pads and tampons taking up room in the backpack or purse, coming out of the packages and sloppy messes in more areas than one. Again...Thank you to those that have brought this product to my/our attention!!
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 05-11-2005 at 01:16 AM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

I KNOW! It's hard to believe a little thing like that can make such a difference, but it does. I'm a recent convert myself. Congrats on a smart move. I want to tell everyone I know, but it's sort of impossible to work into normal conversation.

Glad you both like it. I've been a convert for getting on 4 years and can't see any reason to switch to anything else.

I too would like to spread the word, but like you say Doc - it's hard to work into everyday conversations.

Comfy ride

Not a conversation easily made usually but here at least we are all ok with it.
    I rode 32 miles today, a longer ride then my avg.20-23.
    It was wonderful, usually during my first couple of days it is the hardest because I have to usually change out the cotton so much to prevent leakage.
    Awesome to feel so carefree!

Actually when I first got it and it was brand new, I discretly brought it to a woman in my office and told her about it and showed her my new found device that she may be interested as I was, because I also had no clue of it until finding this forum...
    The one lady asked that I let her know how well it works for me. I will of course do so....again ever so discretly with confidence of its worth.
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 05-11-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

OK... I know we have discussed this in several places...

I finally went enquiring in a chemist and they had not heard of these... anyone in NZ ever found something like this here?

I am going to print off the websites and take them in so the chemist can look into it.

Went for a 40km ride today... and what a mess... i don't want to be limited on days I could ride because of this!

GRRRRR...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    OK... I know we have discussed this in several places...

I finally went enquiring in a chemist and they had not heard of these... anyone in NZ ever found something like this here?

I am going to print off the websites and take them in so the chemist can look into it.

Went for a 40km ride today... and what a mess... i don't want to be limited on days I could ride because of this!

GRRRRR...
    You may need to mail order -- although I'm told these products are sold at some high-end health food grocery stores, I've never seen them on the shelf here in the US. Also, there are Canadian, US, and UK versions of most of the "top three" cup distributors, but I've never seen a southern hemisphere site. :\

Ooh, strike that, here's one. http://www.thekeeper.com.au/

Thanks Alison and Doc

Hey, I'm just wondering, what is the state of Toxic Shock Syndrome with these cups?

TSS is linked closely with leaving tampons in for too long ... so how long does one leave a diva/keeper in... is TSS a factor with these as well?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Tss

They address the TSS issue on the Diva cup site. TSS was related to super absorbancy of tampons as well as how long they were left in place. The diva and keeper do not absorb anything, and don't create the same bacteria friendly environment that the tampon does. I'm going to go online and check if there have ever been any reports of TSS with a menstrual cup. I'll let you know if I find anything