Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Diva Cup

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have used instead for several years-and have problems with leaking if I don't get it seated correctly.

If you ever used a diaphram for BC, it should seat like that, over the cervix.

I have to empty it several times the first day, but much after that.

What are the web sites for the keeper and the diva?

Instead - maybe not

Ok - reporting back from my field studies. I received my free sample of the Instead Soft Cup and here's my report:

Insertion - not too tricky, since I've been using the keeper for a few years and it was very comfortable. I also watched a video on the Instead website which was very helpful.

Performance - erm. I only tried it at the start of my period and I didn't get any leaks, but ... when I went to the toilet it literally poured out as I sat there!! Not sure this is meant to happen, especially if I hadn't been sitting on the toilet, so it put me off a little. I only had 2 in the free sample pack so didn't really get a chance to experiment. Might splash out on a whole pack and give it another go.

Summary - mixed. Needs further trials for a conclusive result.

Thanks for the update. Always looking for the new and improved. I think your main compaint with the keeper was the stiffness. Is instead better? Diva is much softer than the keeper. That I know for sure.

sandra b
    the websites are keeper.com and diva.com conveniently enough

Thanks Doc. Yes - the Keeper is very stiff and that's what appealed about the Soft Cup. Apart from that, I don't really have any complaints about the keeper, but like you, I'm always on the look out for alternative.

Maybe I should give the Diva Cup a try, especially if it's softer. I must admit, the natural rubber colour of the Keeper does give it a bit of a medieval look .

Originally posted by sandra b
    I have used instead for several years-and have problems with leaking if I don't get it seated correctly.

If you ever used a diaphram for BC, it should seat like that, over the cervix.

I have to empty it several times the first day, but much after that.

I THINK I am inserting Instead correctly. I know where it needs to go and put it there. But it doesn't stay seated, it slides forward and then I have a disaster on my hands - literally! I used a diaphram for BC many years ago.........Hmmmmmm, I wonder if that wasn't fitting quite correctly, too. We call my baby (he's 17 now) my diaphram baby. With good reason. Wouldn't give him back for anything, but news of his impending arrival was a shocker all those years ago. I may give Instead one more try but if I can't get it to work, I'll have to stay with tampons. Does anyone think Keeper or Diva Cup would be different enough from Instead to be worth sending for? I can buy Instead at the corner drugstore, much easier that way.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Performance - erm.
    This is exactly what happened to me with Instead. Sitting, moving, squatting (!) were all risky maneuvers, and wearing a "security" pad really defeats the purpose. It was only successful when I was sleeping and my flow wasn't heavy.

I THINK I am inserting Instead correctly. I know where it needs to go and put it there. But it doesn't stay seated, it slides forward and then I have a disaster on my hands - literally!
    I know I'm inserting it correctly. I can't get it any further up there! And it does come sliding back down at the least excuse. I guess this is just due to the "lay of the land" down there - 10+ pound baby in my history!

Thanks, MM, for the testing!

Annie
    You should ask MM who's tried both the keeper and instead, but I think they are very different. Also, see her post above. I like diva better than keeper (my sister has both and we compared) The web sites explain the products really well. They do NOT sit high next to the cervix. In fact, the lower the better. The main trick is to spin after insertion to make sure it's open.

Annie -

The only time I ever had a leak with the Keeper in nearly 3 years use was when my flow was heavier than expected and I just left it too long. Saying that, I do admit I wear a slim pad over night as well, just in case, but 9 times out of 10 I don't really need to.

I thought about trying Instead not really because I was unhappy with the keeper, but just to keep my options open.

If it was a toss up between Instead or tampons I think I probably would go with tampons, based on my recent experience, but if you can afford it I'd seriously give the Divacup or Keeper a whirl.
    You can leave it for longer, it's reusable so you don't need spares and you don't have to spend a fortune on products each month.

Doc mentioned the Divacup is softer - the Keeper is natural rubber and quite stiff but does the job very well. It's true, you need to make sure it opens up properly but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. It's easier to position than Instead - it's either right or it's not and you'll know if it's not.

Also - TOP TIP if you've just washed it and it's warm you may find the suction stops it from opening properly. Try running it under the cold tap to cool it down before using - I've found this works very well.

Hope this helps.

I've also found that there's a possibility one may need the larger size regardless of childbirth... The 'keeper_cup' forum on Livejournal had several ladies saying women with well endowed husbands may need the larger size, because sometimes their pelvic floor muscles weren't as tight as others... just a thought.
    I'm experiencing leakage, too, and am trying out the Diva size 1 because the Keeper gave me a latex allergy... I may switch, though, if I'm still leaking... for the reason stated above. =P
    Walking SUCKS. I am not a biped, I am a velocipede!!

I leaked the one time I didn't rotate the diva to make sure it was open. Are you careful to open the diva after insertion? Folded it definitely leaks! I have kids, but size #2 just aint that big. I bet you're right about certain women needing a larger size for reasons other than childbirth.

Thumbs down Tried the Keeper....

Okay, so after reading this thread, I decided to re-try the Keeper yesterday. I had bought one years ago, tried it for a few months, had some leakage problems and found it uncomfortable to insert and remove (messy too), so put it away in a drawer and hadn't used it for years.

Got brave last night (and was out of Super tampons), so tried it again. Read all the tips here and the ones that came with it. However, I still had a bad experience. It hurt going in, I could feel it inside me, it leaked (even though it seemed to be open inside), and it hurt like hell coming out. Ouch! I would think the softer Diva would be better in that regard. The Keeper is pretty stiff rubber and to me is painful. And it was awfully messy once again. Don't think I'll be trying that one again!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

MM,

Thanks for the advice! I may give the Keeper a try. I am so tired of tampons and leaking and really would just like the whole thing to end!! Menopause sounds better and better!

A question for those who talked about 24-48 hrs. of flood-like flows -- I am into day three of this! The longest I've had before was about 36 hrs. And it is very heavy bleeding for me - If I leave a tampon in for two hours, I've had blood dripping down my legs. This is weird. I can literally feel it gush out sometimes. I am wondering how long I should give it to slow down or if I should call my doc? I feel fine. No cramps, no energy loss. I figure another day or two before I get concerned, but if anyone has any advice, I'm listening! Tons of experience in all sorts of things on these boards. Feels like being with a group of women friends, but a really biiiiiiiiiiig group.
    Thanks!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

For days like that I go with super duper pads, with wings and plastic backing. And with tampons if needed. I feel like pads are 'safer", at leaast against leaks.

~I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Annie, I think this is pretty typical for those of us approaching menopause. I've had lots of friends and relatives tell me the "running like a river" story! If you aren't feeling faint or weak, I bet it's okay. I've had a couple of friends that are so heavy that they actually pass out and they went on to have hysterectomies but I think that's pretty unusual. It never hurts to let your doc know what's going on and see if they have any advice!