Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Diva Cup

Thumbs up Diva Cup

To disable ads, please log-in.

I learned about the diva cup on this forum a month or so ago. I bought it and tried it and I LOVE it. For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, it's AMAZING. You'll never use tampons again.
    I admit the first few times you use it- it's weird and tricky. But once you get the hang of it, it is easier and more comfortable and cleaner than anything else out there. Plus you never need to bring supplies with you. So if you're going on a long trip and have your period-no problem.
    You all must think I have stock in the company but I swear I don't. I am a new user and complete convert.
    Anyone else with great experience like mine?

I haven't tried it yet, just those Instead things. I don't know if it's my aging parts to blame, but it's definitely not leak-proof. Has anyone used both of them and found the diva to be more leak-proof?

nuthatch - I use Instead also and the only days I have to change it frequently are the first few - and I'm changing it a Lot less than I was tampons. I agree with Doc it was weird and tricky the first few times - it could be you don't have it "seated" right? I'm only guessing coz that was my problem the first few times I used it too. The best line I read was: remember the first few times we tried tampons - it took a while to get that right too!
    Just as a footnote: because of all the research I did on the Diva Cup - I do "reuse" the Instead cup - only 1 per cycle but I rinse it really well with hot water, reuse it and toss it when my cycle is done.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

nuthatch- I never ever leak. They say only change it every 12 hours, but on my one heavy day I change it every 6 - but that's just cuz I'm nervous. Plus, since it's reusable for a long long time, you don't need to buy anything, pack anything or toss anything into the already bulging american landfills. I never tried instead so I can't give a comparison.

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like the Diva is worth a try - hopefully I can get the hang of it and peri-menopause won't overwhelm it!

doc, how heavy is "heavy" ? I'm in serious 24 hour flood and then I'm done mode these days... I'm really skeptical of trying anything new.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Serious 24-hour flood and done mode? I can relate to that! Or else its trickle for 2 weeks then nothing for two months. Very weird.

Never tried the Diva cup but gave Instead quite a few tries. I don't think that I am seating it incorrectly. No matter what I do, it won't stay in and it leaks. Leaks badly, in fact. So I gave up. It does say in the instructions that it does NOT work for everyone. I guess I am one of the odd ones........ I can't imagine that the Diva, or anything else along the same lines, would fit any better. Anyone know?

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    OK, I'm sold. I'm getting the Diva. I feel so special to have a serious 48 hour flood complete with put-you-on-the-floor cramping, all of which seems to be getting worse as I age. This is why women usually died before 40, I'm sure of it!

I use the Keeper which, as far as I can make out is the same as the Diva, but is made out of natural rubber and is meant to last for at least 10 years. I've been using it for about 2 and half years and apart from one 'incident' when I hadn't emptied it I've never suffered from any major leaks.

I must admit I find it a bit more tricky than tampons. Sometimes I just don't seem to be able to get it right. You also need to have a wash basin handy for hand washing and emptying, where as with tampons, if you use the applictor type you can pretty much get away with no basin if you really have to. eg if you're in the middle of a wood.

But the pro's certainly outweigh the con's. I used to hate swimming and going to the beach as I was convinced the tampon string would escape. Like the others have said, you don't have to carry spares, you don't have to change so often and you can even use it to pre-empt your period if you're expecting on the day of a big ride etc.

Yellow- Let me know how it goes. I'm just so thrilled I had to share.

Annie-I never used instead, but knowing diva I can't imagine how it would not work. It pops open inside and blocks/catches everything. But it can be placed wrong. So maybe that's been the problem. With diva, the lower in the vagina you place it the better. Of course not so low that you can feel it.

Mightymire - My sister and I decided to experiment and see the difference between the keeper and the diva. She bought both. The keeper has a longer "stick" at the bottom which she found annoying and didn't need for removal. I'm sure others might find the longer stick helpful. If you look at the pictures online you can see that difference. Plus the cup part of the keeper is slightly smaller. Otherwise I agree, they are essentially the same.

As for needing a sink. That part is true but I learned a neat trick from this TE site. If you do not have access to any washing facility then pee on your hand and diva cup after you remove it. Then reuse it. Wash it with water the next time you can. Remember urine is sterile (unless you're sick). If you can't stand that thought, and have no access to a sink it sure can be messy.

Originally posted by Irulan
    doc, how heavy is "heavy" ? I'm in serious 24 hour flood and then I'm done mode these days... I'm really skeptical of trying anything new.

Irulan
    Hmmm. Hard to say of course, but I doubt I'm that heavy. I'll have a day where I would change tampons every 2 hours and still leak sometimes.

The keeper has a longer "stick" at the bottom which she found annoying and didn't need for removal
    Doc
    Yes - not quite sure why it comes with such a long stick. They suggest you trim it down to length with a sharp pair of scissors but I cut mine off altogether as I don't need it either.

If you do not have access to any washing facility then pee on your hand and diva cup after you remove it.

Doc
    Hee-hee. Think that might have been me on a previous thread!Thanks for reminding me. Trouble is - I can't always pee on demand

They make "travel" wipes that are in a small pack - about the size of a jersey pocket. You could always just throw one of those in a pocket if you think you might need it. I chose to go with the Instead product coz - like most of us it sounds - my periods are very sporadic and inconsistent. I'm not sure how much longer I"ll be bleeding and didn't want to spend the money for the Keeper/Diva if its only going to be another 6-12 mnths. Of course - with my luck it'll be another 10 yrs and by the time I decide to spend the money - I'll stop! Also, if I remember correctly - the Keeper is a rubber/latex product and the Diva is silicon for anyone with latex allergies! But I'm with Doc - I learned about all 3 products here and darn it - wish I had known about them earlier!...the things our mothers won't tell us eh?! LOL
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Just ordered a free trial sample of the Instead soft cup. Although I use the Keeper I'm always open to try new products. That's how I came to be using the Keeper in the first place.

The Keeper is good but the rubber is very firm and I like the idea of the softness of the Instead cup. Thought I should give it a try. You can't actually buy it in the UK so I've ordered it off the Belgium version of the website. Figured the p&p would be cheaper than from the US.

MightyMitre, let us know how the two compare to each other after you've given Instead a try.