Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spin Shoes

Question Spin Shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been told that spin shoes might enhance an already good experience. Are there any others using spin shoes (not cleats)? If so, what brand did you purchase and where?

I have a medium-wide foot and a narrower heal. Any recommendations?

For spinning class you'll want to buy mountain biking shoes. You should attach cleats for optimal use, but even without they are better than sneakers. Do not buy road shoes because when you finally do decide to attach cleats you wont be able to walk in the gym with them.
    I just bought some nike's that I love, but they are narrow. If you have a wide foot I have found shimano (mens) run really wide. They have an introductory level shoe with laces rather than velcro which runs about $54.
    Consider cleats, they are great. And spin is a good place to practice with them because you can't fall over!

I've never heard of "spin shoes" Those of us that wear clips in class just wear cycling shoes with clip on them.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

doc sez "Do not buy road shoes because when you finally do decide to attach cleats you wont be able to walk in the gym with them."

true, dat, road shoes can be harder to walk in. But you probably don't do a round of free weights before or after your spin class, road shoes will be fine for in and out of the locker room, just be careful on the slippery tile.

I be a roadie and I wear mountain bike shoes on my road bike, lots of us do. I've never met a hill I was too proud to walk ;-) I cross train proudly so I wear shimano ATB shoes, stiff on the bike, comfy enough to walk in.

pretty good thread on the benefits of both......

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ght=road+shoes

"Consider cleats, they are great. And spin is a good place to practice with them because you can't fall over! "

yep, cleats rule and you can't fall over in spin class (I think) but beware the dreaded weighted front wheel.

When you get that buggy moving and you practice clipping in and out that baby keeps spinning...right into your bare uncliped leg.

For repitions and practice clipping in and out start slowiy before and after class, till you get used to clipping and unclipping with either leg and in any position or during class....but keep things slow and light.

Of course this works best if your spin class uses the same type of pedals as your bike does.

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

"true, dat, road shoes can be harder to walk in. But you probably don't do a round of free weights before or after your spin class, road shoes will be fine for in and out of the locker room, just be careful on the slippery tile. " From Trek420

But I do a round of free weights before or after at least 50% of the spin classes I attend. So it really depends on what you want to do and what you want to carry. If you get road shoes without cleats you might slip and fall on hard floors. If you get cleats on your road shoes you will be required to wear other shoes and change into your cycling shoes at class time. That's why I recommend mountain biking shoes.

If I was going to do weights, before or after Spin, I would just just change my shoes. It doesn't take that long and then I don't need to be extra careful or worry about my footing. Who wants to drop a hundred pounds or more while doing squats really?

V.

doc sez "But I do a round of free weights before or after at least 50% of the spin classes I attend. "

Doc, my hat's off to you! I can barely walk after spin... so I sure don't do much before except stretch. You go girrl!
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-09-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Oh gosh, I don't do leg work after spin. No way. Just upper body stuff. And of course, always doing abs. Women don't get a break in the abs department. After having 2 kids, it'll never be the same.

Specialized has a shoe that works for spinning, doesn't have the chunky look of mtb shoes, or the slick sole of road shoes. I have the '04 version, this is the '05.
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSect...pShoesSpinning

emperess of shopping snapdragen found...."Specialized has a shoe that works for spinning, doesn't have the chunky look of mtb shoes, or the slick sole of road shoes. ..."

on the other hand does not have the status of "Hey, I do this OUTSIDE too"

on the other hand, a gal can never have too many cycling shoes.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Snapdragon,

That is one cute spinning shoe! Sorta reminds of a Mary Jane shoe.

Another shoe idea - Shimano sandals, the kind you can attach cleats to. They are comfortable AND cool. I don't know about all of you, but I SWEAT big time in spin classes. I leave soaked. At least with the sandals, I don't have stinky socks along with the stinky clothes. And my feet stay cooler. Then when the warm weather comes, they are great to wear on rides when you're going to be off the bike some of the time.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Spin Shoes

Thanks for all the suggestions. While I have thought of using road shoes, many of the bikes at the club I attend do not have the pedals to support the cleats. I looked to spin shoes because like cleats, they allow you to increase your power when spinning. It doesn't sound like spin shoes are too popular. I was hoping to get some feedback based on experience.

Sneakers have been fine but thought I would enhance my experience. I'm going to look locally for some shops that carry the spin shoes as it is tricky to order shoes online since they all fit differently. The Specialized shoe is kind of cute.

As was said in an earlier post, a woman can never have too many pair of shoes...

I just thought I'd chime in since I'm a Spinning instructor. Some of the gyms where I teach don't have enough bikes with clips and many of the people that attend never, ever ride outside (gasp!). So, my suggestion is that they buy a nice stiff soled shoe such as the kind used for skateboarding. They'll pay a lot less than they would if they bought MTB shoes.

I always clip in because it saves my knees for outdoor riding. And whichever poster said that the weighted flywheel makes a huge difference between the indoor riding and outdoor riding is spot on!

I like to practice my pedal strokes in spinning. I cannot pedal in a circle unless I'm clipped in. Just my $.03.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Very good point dogmama. If you want a fluid stroke, using as many different muscles as possible you must be clipped in. Toe clips are truly inferior on this point, but certainly better than nothing at all. I love one legged drills. I always unclip my other leg and then you really learn how much stronger one leg is than the other. Plus you really learn where you are making mistakes on your circular motion. You really have to complete the circle to keep up your cadence. No quad pumping!