Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tour de tucson - pix and "results"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, we ended up doing the 80 mile ride. The idea of having to dress so warmly and then having to undress just didn't appeal to us, nor did the idea of waiting in the dark and cold in line for 2 hours. besides, we'd heard that the 80 mile group was much smaller, and they left at 9 (be there at 8 and wait)

and we were off

we rode with MTKitchen, who apparently spends more time on bikejournal.

As we left, we joined the ranks of the slower 100 mile riders. we saw the fast ones go by; they looked like the tour de france!

and then we began to climb

they had most traffic completely stopped for the event. there were massive lines of cars to pass. It was exhilarating to fly through stop signs and stop lights with police holding the cars back.

the first 10 miles were pretty hard for me. we were going 20 mph half the time! It was already hot (i'm from Seattle, home of the cool and damp, remember) and we had hours and hours to go. But i kept being able to put out that kind of speed! it was nuts, crazy really. We'd go up hills, and I slowed down of course, but on every hill I passed a lot of people. Donald cooled my ego trip by reminding me; this is the beginning of their season!

since we did the 80, I only had to cross one river bed. We walked about 1/2 a mile through sand. there was a refreshment stop in the middle of all that!
    lots of water and good fruit. Oh, the watermelon was fantastic!

for me an important part of every ride is the 1/2 way mark. and at 40 miles, that's when i started to believe i could really do it. I was still riding 18-25 mph on mostly my own steam (and some 1% grades)

The last 8 miles were tough, because i was tired, we were joined by all the 25 milers (and their lack of experience and fresh energy) so it became much less safe, surrounded by bikers of every kind of experience level.

Donald stuck with me for the last 12 miles, because he could see I was flagging (but riding 14-16mph!!!!). I started to feel chills (and it was 90) so i rode a bit more and at 3 miles to go, i stopped in the shade and drank everything i had. Then we finished.

We discovered thatthey handed out beautiful medals!!!
    So we walked over to the booths where they were being handed out, but first the shoes came off, and oh did THAT FEEL GOOD! here I am with
    one of Raleighdon's BJ buddies, GT

here's the three of us. MTKitchen was an incredible rider, even though she has not been in training, she kept up with Donald almost always, and I worked to stay with her. She was a safe, pleasant, good riding partner; I'm glad I got to meet her.

and last but not least, here I am with one of my new friends
    Last edited by mimitabby; 11-18-2007 at 09:51 AM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Awesome pictures - awesome ride! Congratulations Mimi - I knew you could do it!!!!!
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Mimi, that is just fabulous. Congrats to you!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Great report and photos!! Good job!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Congratulations!!

Sounds like a great ride!!

CA

PS - Do you have a generator hub on your bike? Thought I spied a light
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks for the great ride report and pictures, Mimi! You forgot to mention how I mooched a bed off you guys the night before the ride, and I slept like a baby while you two didn't!
    It was an absolute pleasure to ride with you and Don. I'm glad you guys made the decision to do the 80 miler. Looking forward to riding again sometime!

BTW, most Arizonans ride through the summer, so it's not *really* the start of our season. You were riding really strongly!

What fun!!

Mimi, that last picture could have been taken in my backyard when I lived there...those saguaro's are amazing aren't they?

Electra Townie 7D

Yay, Mimi and Don and MTKitchen!

Great pictures!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Queen you had a saguaro in your back yard?? I LOVE them!!

my stats:
    15.8 mph average
    2448 ft of climb,
    in 5:13 hours

i drank NUUN for electrolytes, drank lots of water, had one energy bar
    2 clif blocks and lots of watermelon and about 1 banana.

CA in NC i do have a generator hub on the wheel I left at home. no sense
    carrying that extra 1.5 lbs for 80 miles through the sunshiny desert!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mimi-

I have generator hubs too and love them, but I have thought about having another wheel made for the 2 bikes that have them for which I don't have regular wheels. It really does make a difference Hmmm....time for the Christmas list So, you just leave your light on the bike, and pull the wheel?

FYI I just replaced 2 LED's with the new B&M Fly. They're super nice, and they're less expensive than the regular oval one. Wish I could do the E6, but it's too blasted expensive...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Queen you had a saguaro in your back yard?? I LOVE them!!
    Yup, I lived on the west side about four miles out of town...they were everywhere! I always had to touch the cactus, and I kept getting stuck by them...I just don't learn.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks for the great report and pix! You guys look great in your ROCn jerseys too.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time and rode strong. Good for you!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Wonderful pictures and wonderful ride report- thanks Mimi for thinking of us!
    Congratulations- great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mimi - the photos are great and thanks so much for the report, very cool. Wow!! you had a great day. Way to go. Too bad you didn't get to do the 100, you would've been all over it.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS