Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 58 of 175 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Intro

To disable ads, please log-in.

Real name: call me Noko for short, tend not to publish real name

Where do you live? Oregon, west of Portland.

Explanation of your handle: Selected it for an online gaming name; means Daughter of the Moon - is Native American of origin, though I forget which tribe specifically... is also the name of a few lakes / areas in Midwest & East Coast US

Explanation of your avatar: Female, Red Hair, Bicycle! What else is needed? I bought this poster last year, just need to frame & hang it. I've seen the jersey, but it was discontinued by the time I knew to look for it.

Age (general or specific): over 30

Favorite bike: Still Searching

What's in your stable? "Elise" ~ she's a Tirreno Razza 4.0, first adult bike.

Fastest speed on a road bike? 43mph where? downhill, local ride when? summer 04

Another picture of yourself or your ride? <>

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: 7th grade ~ boy turns to me in class and asks - as if it were the worst thing in the world to be - 'are you a virgin?' I heard his tone, my mind didn't compute the question until after I, Aghast, replied No!

Most memorable moment on my bike: After struggling thru my longest ride to date (an 86 mile, wicked elevation, billed at 75) and barely overcoming the mental barrier - crossed the finish line only to crash 100 feet later when avoiding a feeble spectator that crossed in front of me on the sidewalk that was the finishers path.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Leading the pack (all but 1 were male) over rolling hills, dropping riders off the tail, and having the 'expert' rider in our group tell me after that he "saw the train leaving, and knew he'd have to power up to say on!" followed by "boy, you have a lot of energy!"

Added - Ride History: DH grew up riding w/ his father, long event rides, etc. He got back into it a few years back, and convinced me to join him. We started taking spinning together Winter 03-04, I got my first road bike in the last week of the Tour 04, finished the warm season with a half century. Second season made 3 event rides, all 65+ including the first Oregon LiveStrong ride. (Saw George twice that summer!) Currently working on getting fit to make a Century - really need to drop 15-20lb. Off Season - spin ~3x/week, When dry & not freezing, will maintain min 30mi rides 2-3x/week.
    Last edited by Nokomis; 02-11-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Welcome, Noko!
    Loved the biggest lie story...7th grade is such a hard time of life...I remember many head-games like that from that period of my life. You never knew quite why they were asking or what the answer should be. Boy I'm glad THAT'S over!

Hi Noko- Welcome to the board. You must live near the Team Estrogen headquarters! They take good care of us here.

I'll be in your area this summer as I am doing the STP for the 3rd time. Have you thought of doing this ride? It's lots of fun and not very difficult- just long.

When I read about your crash, I just couldn't believe it! Of all places and times. I trust you weren't hurt too badly and the pedestrian survived as well. People just don't look out for cyclists- We've all had either encounters or CLOSE encounters with just such a scenario as yours.

Re bikes- I'm riding a Scott CR1- all carbon bike. I also have a Jamis Quest- steel with carbon forks that I rode for 2 years before I got the Scott this past December. If you have time to ride different makes and models, that is what I would suggest. Kinda like shoes- If the shoe fits wear it......

Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you in Portland. I'll be coming up with some other women I ride with. Looks like we will be staying an extra day to play in Portland. Great place for that!
    Nancy

Bike Goddess - the only thing I bruised was my pride... falling when you're that exhausted feels a lot worse than it actually is. The woman who stepped into my path wasn't hit (thank goodness!) but she did turn & exclaim "did I do that? oh please tell me I didn't do that!" I'm pretty sure the only thing to come out of my mouth - other than Ow! - was a variation on four letter words. ack!

I don't have any plans currently to do STP... I'm actually trying to pretend it doesn't exist. My husband really wants to do the one day ride, and that makes me very nervous. I've heard it wrecks your knees to push thru & do that, and he's already had both his ACLs replaced. Plus, he's type1 diabetic, so I get a little paranoid that something would happen on that strenuous of a ride.

We try to hit the Vine Ride & may do the MS150 again. Bridge Pedal is okay - but we'd have to be in the first group out the gate to not get stuck in tourism traffic like we did last year - it was silly. (Entire feild stopped suddenly on top of a bridge, No warning, and people were standing in the middle of all the booths trying to shove bananas or bottled juice / energy drinks at you if you approached.)

Anyhow ~ enjoy Portland! when are you going to be up?
    Last edited by Nokomis; 02-11-2006 at 12:07 PM.

... just testing to see if my avatar comes up....

Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    ... just testing to see if my avatar comes up....
    nice avatar! I need to change mine.....
    ~bikemomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Magnificent work Brandi! You have a great and wonderful talent.

Brandi's Title 9 Sports Catalog Copy

Brandi, a sand sculptor by trade, loves to sip red wine and nibble dark chocolate while knitting sweaters for her cats.

(Picture of Brandi in some cool Title 9 outfit in front of an amazing sculpture)
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I emailed title 9 once cause at the time I thought my friend should be in there catalog, never thought about myself. Thanks for the complement!
    I went camping this weekend and didn't get on my computer till last night. Came on the forum and was overwhelmed by the responce to my work. I appreciate all the praise! I have been doing it going on 19 years. I was 19 when i started. And is how I met my husband. Who is also my teacher in sculpting. He is a natural at it. I have had to work a little harder. There are mainly guys in this business so I had to really work hard so it didn't look like I just wanted to hang out with my boyfriend. I can post where my jobs are so if anyone wants to see them in person? My first job so far this year is not till next months in iowa. I also do the Colorado state fair every year in Aug if anyone is interested.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

I emailed title 9 once cause at the time I thought my friend should be in there catalog, never thought about myself. Thanks for the complement!
    I went camping this weekend and didn't get on my computer till last night. Came on the forum and was overwhelmed by the responce to my work. I appreciate all the praise! I have been doing it going on 19 years. I was 19 when i started. And is how I met my husband. Who is also my teacher in sculpting. He is a natural at it. I have had to work a little harder. There are mainly guys in this business so I had to really work hard so it didn't look like I just wanted to hang out with my boyfriend. I can post where my jobs are so if anyone wants to see them in person? My first job so far this year is not till next months in iowa. I also do the Colorado state fair every year in Aug if anyone is interested.

Brandi,

Where is Iowa is your job next month? I am in Dubuque, northeast part of Iowa. I'm curious -- how long does a sandscape last? Is it a permanent piece of art or does it eventually lose its form?

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Nanci: Loved your Title 9 bio for brandi - too cute!!

Brandi: beautiful work my friend! When did you do the AZ state fair one??

Noko: welcome to the board! Loved your "biggest lie" line! Hope to see more of you!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Howdy all!

Where do you live? Lincoln, NE

Explanation of your handle: sydney_b = sydney brown

Explanation of your avatar: Hmm, don't have one as yet.

Age (general or specific): 36

Favorite bike: custom waterford with rohloff hub on order

What's in your stable? rough tough soup'd up hardtail early 90s mtn bike for commuting.

Fastest speed on a road bike? Dont' have my road bike yet, but get 30+ on my mountain with downhills.

Another picture of yourself or your ride:

Will work on getting pic of current wheels.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Uhm. Nobody telling any lies here ...

Most memorable moment on my bike: I think there isn't just one thing. Instead, it's that incredible feeling of zooming along, legs pumping, heart pounding. I love that.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Oh, I'm not talking about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sydney_b
    Hi Sydney. I know you posted before but I think this is the first time I've seen you. Welcome to the forums.

Mel

Annie, quad city,Iowa. It is a garden show I think it start's on the 23rd. I am not positive where the show is held there my guess is a convention center maybe. I tink if you google quad city flower show it migt say.
    And they are temporary. Most clients take tem down as soon as the event is over but some have kept them up and let nature take it's coarse. The longest outdoor one to date was just over a year. It went through several snow storms and a spring thaw.
    CorsairMac-the AZ fair if I am correct was 1994 and 95. Tough jobs too. 8 guys 1 women (me) and 115 degree weather for 32 days. I only broke down and cried twice on the first one and once on the 2nd job. We got 4 inches of rain in two hours on the 2nd job. Erased two weeks of detail. I cried as i watched it go away and then started laughing. grabbed a piece if plywood and started surfing the run off!