Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 144 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2614

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, Welcome to TE, PaulaIncredible!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey Paula, welcome!
    That photo of you on the office door is pretty funny.

Hey, i like that you wear your warm hiking boots while riding in the cold, just like me! In fact, your picture reminds me of this one of me biking in my boots too:
    http://harmonias.com/L_riding3DSC02505.jpg
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sure. I was in a car accident around this time last year. Ended up losing my leg, just above the knee, as a result. For me, it seemed a lot easier to ride without my prosthesis, so I don't wear it when I ride -- I had someone made a stronger clip for my left side (the one I had kept popping out), so I can peddle really well now with one leg. The only thing that sucks is that for long rides, I neither have my prosthesis nor crutches, so if I want to pop in somewhere for a snack or a drink, I end up having to do a lot of hopping. Uggh.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Hi Brooke,

Welcome to TE!

Can I ask you about your prosthetic: what happened and how you ride with it?

Thanks!

I don't have my knee either -- wish I did! I lost mine about an inch and a half above my knee. I'm far from being as good of a rider than I used to be, but I've slowly gotten back to riding in the last couple of months. It's really hard work (peddling with one leg), bit it's awesome to be back out there again!

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Hi Brooke and welcome to TE! Hope you have fun on the bike and on the forum.

I'm also anxious to learn about your leg, 'cause I'm aware of someone who lost his leg from the knee down (including the knee) recently who's a big-time cyclist, and he's was pretty desperate about not being able to cycle anymore. I'd love to be able to pass on the information.

But of course there are lots of other topics we should be talking about!

By the way you might want to beware about having your full name out there... you never know. The people on the forum are really cool, but there are creeps lurking everywhere. :S

Tailwinds to you.

Hi Brooke,

I don't know if you've seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOG83-TwIuM but I'm in awe of this guy. He's just so cool in so many ways. I'm glad you're doing so well! Welcome.

Hey thanks! That was an awesome video! I hadn't seen that. Yeah, that's basically the way I ride too. Except he's smarter than me -- he has somehow strapped his crutches in there. I tried that, but I couldn't get them to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Hi Brooke,

I don't know if you've seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOG83-TwIuM but I'm in awe of this guy. He's just so cool in so many ways. I'm glad you're doing so well! Welcome.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey Brooke, maybe someone could make you a lightweight (titanium?) telescoping or collapsible crutch that you could strap on your top tube, like some people have a frame pump attached there, or on the down tube. ?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, that's totally a good idea. Would need two crutches though -- I don't do well with one -- hahaha, I can hop faster! Going to talk with the guy that redid my pedal clip to see if he could do something there. The collapsable crutches I 've seen though don't get all that small. That's an awesome idea though -- going to look into all of this!! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Hey Brooke, maybe someone could make you a lightweight (titanium?) telescoping or collapsible crutch that you could strap on your top tube, like some people have a frame pump attached there, or on the down tube. ?

Brooke,

You are my hero! I'm in awe that you ride one legged. You must be one strong and determined lady.

Have a great holiday.

Nicole
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Brooke,

You are my hero! I'm in awe that you ride one legged. You must be one strong and determined lady.
    +1, I am super impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

+1, I am super impressed!
    +1 -- I think we should rename you "Ms. Unstoppable!!!"

I've tried doing one-legged drills, and I can barely pedal two minutes like that. More impressive is your positive attitude! Don't stop!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Welcome Brooke and Paula!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Welcome to everyone!
    Paula: Too funny that picture! I LOVE it!
    Brooke: Wow. You are one amazing woman. Keep up the great attitude!
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Guess I might as well introduce myself officially.

Where do you live? Maryland

Explanation of your handle: Uh.. My name.. and my birthday

Age (general or specific) 22

Favorite bike: I'll tell you Saturday

What's in your stable? A cheapy bike that my parents gave me probably 10 years ago.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I'm a scaredy cat so I'll keep you posted

Biggest lie you ever told? Not sure. "No Mr. Cop, I had no idea I was speeding"

Most memorable moment on my bike: Last week at the bike shop, honestly. I haven't been on a bike in quite a while. The first test ride I felt like a kid off the training wheels but by the 3rd ride I was "flying" around that parking lot.

Most fun ever had on a bike? See above

Ok now I seem a bit boring...

Introducing myself

Where do you live? St. Louis, MO

Explanation of your handle: I love rock climbing, but I don't do it much anymore because of neuropathy in my toes. But I keep the handle because I love the more abstract meaning--to keep striving toward something better. (Wish I could say it's because of love biking uphill, but NO!)

Explanation of your avatar: haven't checked out the possibilities yet.

Age (general or specific) 51--how could that have happened??

Favorite bike: the one I'm on

What's in your stable? a sweet 2004 Mercier

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 37mph downhill in Birmingham in rush hour traffic, pumping my brakes all the way, June, 2008.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? check out thousands of photos of my tour last summer on Flickr. Search for Wanderlust with Rhonda.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: It's me, not you.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Biking into Selma, AL across the bridge where Gov. Wallace had the national guard hose down the marchers who were asking for voting rights. People died on that bridge.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Biking through NYC at the end of an 1800 mile tour!

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did."