Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 37 of 175 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Hello from another newbie!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all-
    I just got my first road bike about a week and a half ago, and have been lurking on the boards for about 2 weeks. You have all been so helpful already without even knowing it! I took my first "real" road ride today and loved all 22 miles of it, so figured I was a real roadie now, so should introduce myself. I hope to meet and maybe ride with some of you soon.

Where do you live? Palo Alto, CA

Explanation of your handle: PA for Palo Alto, where I live, and Badger because I did my undergraduate studies at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and will be a Badger for life!

Explanation of your avatar: Don't have one yet

Age (general or specific) 26

Favorite bike: My "new to me" Trek 1500 WDS

What's in your stable? Mongoose Rockadile Pro Mountain bike, 2005 Trek 1500 WSD

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 34 MPH! Today going down a hill on Portola road on my first "real" road ride (ie. not on bike trails)

Another picture of yourself or your ride? not yet... will get one soon

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I don't lie

Most memorable moment on my bike: first time I road my new road bike. It just went so fast!

Most fun ever had on a bike? going REALLY fast down one of the hills on Portola Road (hit my fastest speed ever or 34 MPH!) I had this huge smile on my face and was alternately thinking "this is SOOO much fun" and "Oh, my God I am going to die!"

ROFL at the "this is so much fun/Oh my God I'm gonna die"! Wait til you start hitting speeds over 40 - you will get Such a rush from that and then go home and think "OMG..what Was I THINKING???!!!"

Welcome to the board Badger! and yet Another CA lady, makes me think I'm just gonna have to move there - live off all my TE friends and just ride!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Where do you live? West Michigan

Explanation of your handle: I can't remember where it came from.

Age (general or specific) 27

Favorite bike: Waterford-my first road bike :-)

What's in your stable? Giant OCR 2, Waterford w/ campy 8, Trek Fuel

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 39 mph descending block house hill last summer

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: My parents think I have a college degree.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Finishing my first "B" group ride. I had gradually upgraded from "womens" to "C's" and finally the B's! I had never been so confident in my own abilities as that moment. I had to stop to throw up on the way home, but it was worth it :-)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Mountain biking in north carolina. It was my first time truly mountain biking and I was so timid and slow when we started our ride . . . I almost went back to the car and was going to read while my husband mntn biked. But he pushed me on. Towards dusk we got lost and found ourselves in a very swampy area. My husband ran our bikes across and then came back and had me jump on his back. He took one step and sunk waist deep into the muck :-) I ended up wading over through the swamp by msyelf. Towards the end we were cruising up and down the trail and finally made it back to the logging road--the same trail we had initially started on. I realized I wasn't afraid of the trail anymore and I had a blast. It was the best time ever.

welcome to the board Heather! a Waterford?? *wiping drool off the keyboard* sweeeet bike my friend! so where in Western Mich? I was born and raised in Kalamazoo, still have relatives there and pretty much all over the lower western part of the state?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Corsair, I'm from Muskegon area. I do love my waterford. It was a gift from my husband and my first road bike. I had no idea at the time what a nice bike it is. It's actually set up for cyclocross more than for road riding.

Hi girls,

Been on this board for a while, but just getting around to posting here.

Where do you live? Los Angeles, California

Explanation of your handle: Duh..., see Real Name.

Explanation of your avatar: Don't have one yet.

Age (general or specific): 61, going on 40.

Favorite bike: My brand new Colnago C-50!!! (Hubby getting his this week!!)

What's in your stable? Colnago, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Alfana

Fastest Speed on a road bike? where? when? 34, going down far side of "El Tigre" in Mexico.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? No digital photo yet, will get one soon.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Can't remember!! Ha, Ha

Most memorable moment on my bike: Last year, had just gotten back into riding; rode the Rosarito Beach to Ensenada ride. It's a great ride but with a big hill in the middle. I really wasn't in shape and climbing that hill was a real challenge (no granny gear and my chain kept popping out of low gear in the back). I felt soooooo good having accomplished that hill.

Most fun ever had on a bike. I really have fun every ride. I started riding in the early '60's when the only frames were Italian or Swiss; the only components were Campy (Grand Sport); the only tires were sew-up (tubular) and riding shoes were thin black leather with leather soles and aluminum cleats. (Am I dating myself or what??) I had many a great ride back then with one of the few bike clubs which existed in Southern California, and real road bikes were a rare sight on the streets. I road with my brother who was a really great rider. He even broke some local records (he plays golf now and hasn't ridden in years). The owner of our LBS was a former Olympic rider who let us work on our bikes in his shop - with his tools. We learned alot that way. During the '70's, I got my hubby-to-be into riding but that was short-lived because we bought a sailboat. I am now a 30-year sailor who has gotten back into riding. Hubby has too!! Because we love it so much, we decided to spring for the "big bucks" and go for Colnago's. Oh, how did I get back into riding? One of my partners who goes to spinning class, said her class was going to do the Tour de Palm Springs (25 mile portion), but most of them hadn't really ridden bikes much. Well, I had never been spinning, and didn't have a bike, but I said, "Oh, I could do that" (not having ridden in 25 years). Three days later, I had a Bianchi, and three days after that, I rode in the Palm Springs ride. The members of the spinning class were asking ME how to change gears, etc. And "the rest", as they say, "is history". Well, that's my story and I LOVE this forum.

and Nina - and oldie but goodie belated welcome to the board!!

Talking

Welcome, Nina! This is an awesome board, with lots of support. I ride a Colnago Master Light, as does my S.O. They are awesome bikes.

Hi Ladies! I'm Doorah :)

Real Nickname: Doorah

Where do you live? Muskegon, MI USA

Explanation of your handle: Was a name given to me by our local Cable ISP and after the family lol it ended up sticking! It seems I truly am a doorah!

Explanation of your avatar: avatar??....you mean I could have an avatar??

Age (general or specific) 47 on October 1st, yikes!

Favorite bike: My only bike~sitting in the box waiting to be assembled

What's in your stable? Marin Alpine Trail HT

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Been so long, I don't think they had speedometers back then...

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have any...yet!

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: It was to my Mom & she taught me at an early age it's easier to tell the truth or keep my trap shut

Most memorable moment on my bike: I only recently got interested in cycling again. My history is minimal, the proverbial Huffy with child carrier back in the 80's. My best friend & I started walking for health, fitness & weightloss two years ago. I've lost 30 of the 70 lbs I need to loose to be in the healthy BMI range. We chose to add early morning bike rides to our game plan earlier this summer and I have been riding either her Fuji or her Mom's Huffy. Both of them are over 5'10" and I am only 5'1 3/4", so I'm sure you can all imagine my experience so far. Uncomfortable, awkward & short-lived! I only recently discovered this site via my videofitness.com site...and I am afraid to admit this but here goes.....I ordered a bike off the internet without ever having test ridden it or even one produced by this manufacturer! It all started back in 1997 when I received an email about the Marin San Anselmo City Bike. It was love at first sight! Back then it came equipped with fenders & paniers(sp?). I researched and printed everything I could find on Marin Bikes & this bike in particular. At the time I was employed and had big plans of commuting to work the following Spring on my beeeeeeeeeeeeUteeeeeeful new Marin San Anselmo. Well in February the following year I lost my job & have been dreaming of this bike & visualizing myself gleefully cycling all over the area perched upon it! Fast-forward to today. I found this bargain for the Marin Alpine Trail HT Mountain bike at $185.99 ($225.00 with shipping), regular price $380(419.99 with shipping). After debating & researching, I asked my BIL who has been an avid cyclist for the past 2 decades what he thought. He said it's a fabulous bike for the money, that he rides his MTB both on & off road and it would be 'perfect' for my needs. Well, it arrived an hour ago & I'm nervous as all get out since reading all the fabulous advice on this site from you fantastic women.....wish me luck?

Most fun ever had on a bike? Back as a young teen, 6 of us decided to bike to our family campground instead of riding with Mom & Dad...about 30 or so miles....but this involved an extremely steep downhill ride that scared the ****ens out of me! PS: Again, embarrassed that my experience is 30+ years ago!

I am so glad that I did find you ladies & this site, better late than never!

~doorah~

Welcome to the board Doorah!! a new bike!! Me Wuvs new bikes even when they aren't mine! and you get to put it together?? how exciting is that?? I keep wanting to tear mine down just so I can put them back together! LOL and congrats on your weight loss! goodonya and keep up the good work! we'll wanna know what you named your new love, and all about your first ride, and your first 1/2 century, and and and.............

Getting to Know You

I've been lurking, time to fess up. Greetings, all...

Where do you live? Seattle

Explanation of your handle: It’s all about the bean, eh?

Explanation of your avatar: I thought the colors were kind of cool looking.

Age (general or specific): 51

Favorite bike: Don’t have a favorite yet, but may buy a road bike later this year. I've owned Fuji and Centurion road bikes, but that’s going back 15 - 20 years.

What's in your stable? 2003 Trek 7500fx and a 1993 Bridgestone XO-4, an oldie but a goodie.

Fastest speed on a road bike? On my hybrid, maybe 32 (downhill). I get equal parts "gogogogogo!!!" and “whatintheheckareyoudoingareyoucrazy???!!!” flashing through my head, though.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Nooooooo….

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I've never been good at telling tales. So, nothing much comes to mind. Truly.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Oh geez. Back in the summer of 1973, I was blasting down a winding road when I t-boned a big ol’ bloodhound of a dog. I flew over the handlebars, my trusty bike flipping before landing on my back as I skidded along the pavement. The dog went whooping off into the woods. The dog turned out just fine though, and I managed with just a bit of road rash and a few divots in my right elbow. Don’t know how that dog didn’t get his ribs broken. I’ll never forget him looking at me as he continued to cross my path no matter how much I tried to move out of his way.

Most fun ever had on a bike: Every day I ride is the best.

welcome to the board java! Love the id (as I sit here drinking my iced Colombian coffee for lunch!!) gee...java/seattle......LOLOL
    Loved the story of you and and bloodhound although I thought you were gonna say he came over and licked ya while you were laying there,,,after causing your accident!

Getting to know you.

Where do you live? San Diego, California

Explanation of your handle: Some of the guys I ride with gave me that nick name cause I'm always chasing riders who pass me.

Explanation of your avatar? Guess 'll have to get one of those.

Favorite bike: Tarmac(Specialized)

What's in your stable? Scattante, Tarmac and Gary Fischer (hoo kooe koo)mountain bike.

Fastest ride on road bike? Not sure. I'm just glad I'm not in the back of the pack anymore.

Picture of yourself or your ride? I have a great picture of my first ride with a group of guys and while the picture was being taken someone sayed "she's the flower among the thorns." Cute! Don't know how to post it though.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told? That I didn't peek at my present (hamsters cage) when I was little. A few days later after I got my hamster(Charlie) he ran away. So I thought god was punishing me for lieing. When I confessed my hamster came back. Weird! Never lied again.

Most memorable moment on my bike: While on a ride the guys wanted to take an alternate route because the rode we were on was washed out. I said "no way am I going to take the alternate route. It's a dangerous road. I'd rather cross the washed out road."(which was now a creek). So I hopped off my bike, took my shoes off and carrying my bike and shoes I climbed down the embankment and crossed the creek. My shoe fell in the water while crossing and the guys started yelling "your shoe is floating down the river." The picture I have in my mind of that day, though, is of all the guys(15 of them) and their bikes sprawled out on the ground drying their feet.

Most fun ever had on a bike: As one of the other ladies said "every ride is fun."

I've been lurking too and it's time for me to fess up. Greetings, all...

Where do you live? South Orange Country

Explanation of your handle: My cat is Xena so she is actually the Warrior Princess

Explanation of your avatar: n/a at this point

Age (general or specific) 50 (Did I actually admit that!)

Favorite bike: undecided

What's in your stable? Specialized Dolce Elite road bike and Rockhopper full suspension mountain bike

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I'd say about 35ish going down Newport Coast. Going up is a different story!

A picture of yourself or your ride? I'll try to upload one.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I just turned 29 on my last birthday

Most memorable moment on my bike: Good: when I can keep up with my husband and the boys. Worst: Last century when I wore my PI Microsensor shorts and they gave me an owee

Most fun ever had on a bike? Riding down to Solano Beach in San Diego with Susan, Tommy, Deb, Steve and my husband Don. Having lunch and taking the Metro Link back to the Irvine station.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VistaDelLago.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TerriBeaksPeak.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	344  

Welcome to the board ggetem and warrior! as always I get such a kick outta everyones most memorable stories!

ggetem I just had this visual of you holding your bike double handed over your head with the water swirling around you and just giggled! you go girl!! and the story of your biggest lie was just too cute!!

warrior: I'm allergic to something in the PI shorts - probably the antibacterial they use or something, I wore a pair 1 time and Holy Smokes was I a hurting baby! so my heart goes out to you and your PI experience!