Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 175 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Loved it! We camped at Gunison and did the 401. We also did the ****, if I've got the trail name right. Gorgeous! There's so many excellent trails to ride all around you, it's so hard to choose. I loved the small town feel of Crested Butte though I bet you go a little nuts from the out-of-towners.
    Do you have one you particularly enjoy?
    Have you ever done Monarch Pass?? Hermosa Creek?
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Ok, they didn't like for me to use that word! Gosh, I'm not trying to be derogatory or anything, already. It was the dutch boy with his finger in the ____ trail, alright?

ooohhhh, yummmy...love both Monarch and Hermosa! Welcome to the boards!

I never did ride Monarch or Hermosa. So much singletrack right out the door, it was hard to pack up the car to DRIVE (heaven forbid) to a ride. I did do that to ride the Raggeds my last season there. 401 is fabulous - that's the trail I talk about riding to 11,200 in profavelo's pregnancy thread. I first did that trail when I was about 16 weeks. It's different every week, as the foliage changes. I like it best in late summer when the cow parsnip and skunk cabbage whack you on the legs, and sometimes the face, as you whip by. Thinking about it now, I can see every single section of the ride! Don't know about the d@m trail. Where was it?

The dutch boy with his finger in the d_ke trail starts
    from the Lake Irwin campground. Heavy duty descents in places, I had my v-brakes full-on and was in no danger of coming to a halt-my husband's discs turned blue, they got so hot.
    It was really beautiful-very technical in places, too. I thought it really weird to see where people had long ago carved names/dates into some of the aspens, not that I'd condone or ever do something like that.
    We actually started from the bottom of the trail and rode the road up to the beginning, same as we did 401. I just found out there's another trail that makes it a loop if you want to stay off the road.

We did the 401 in early July-TONS of grasshoppers!
    (crunch crunch crunch-ugh) It was beautiful despite.

I love both Monarch and Hermosa Creek. You can really get flying on the whoop-de-doos on Monarch on parts and the part where the mountains meet is beautiful (the keyhole). Take either a map or someone who's been, though. There were a couple of places where it gets a little confusing. Hermosa creek has a major gorgeous factor, too.

I can see how you'd never feel a need to bike anywhere beyond your back door, I sure wish MO was like that. I just keep telling myself that the tradeoff is a longer riding season (and nobody remind me about the southwestern part of CO, either!).

Calling Admin:

Good Afternoon Admin:
    Is there a way we can edit the posts on this thread?....so we can do things like update our stables (for those of us that just got new bikes!!!!!! ), or explain our avatars now that some of us learned from the TE ladies how to get one??
    Your help is - as always - appreciated
    Kathie

PS.....how ya feeling Jeff??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Oh, the Dike Trail (misspelling intentional)! That's one of those rides, well, I ride it once every year .... and I still don't like it. Rocks and waterbars - not my favorite. Especially last year, I was rehabbing a knee, was in grave danger of reinjury and resurgery if I landed funny, so I was ultra-cautious, though I do remember ripping the downhill !!! Also another one I first rode when pregnant!

Snowtulip, are you talking about looping The Dike or 401?

Where do you live? Chicago

Explanation of your handle: It's one I've been using for a while. I work in IT, if that means anything to anyone

Explanation of your avatar: Yeah I need to get me one of those don't I?

Age (general or specific) 29

Favorite bike: I think it's my new Lemond Zurich

What's in your stable? Trek 1200 (2004), Lemond Zurich (2005), Trek 850 (1997)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38, on a downhill during RAGBRAI 2004. I was freaking out.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Yeah I need to get me one of those too

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Uh....

Most memorable moment on my bike: Last year on RAGBRAI, I was able to hang with the faster riders on my team for a 30 mile stretch, averaging probably 20 mph. I about died when we reached the town, but I definitely earned some props that day.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Got caught riding in the rain, and ended up on a "dirt" road that had since turned to mud. Had no choice but to take it, and after riding in the cold rain most of the morning I just started laughing like a lunatic. It apparently was contagious because my fellow riders also just started giggling right with me. Made that mud road go by a bit faster, that's for sure.

Red face

Where do you live? Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Explanation of your handle: A friend once mistyped "Brigitte" into "Grogotte" and it stuck somehow.

Explanation of your avatar: None so far.

Age (general or specific) 27

Occupation: Researcher (sociology of science mostly) / Beginning PhD in September at UBC in Vancouver, British Columbia (so I will be able to ride nearly all year long!!)

Favorite bike: Modified Miele Uno, but I just got it so does it count?

What's in your stable? A Miele Uno road bike (2005) with the components from a Rocky Mountain Solo 30 ; Trek 7200 cross (2004)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I'm working on this. Only 40 km/h (20 mph) so far, but I just started testing the new baby... Can't wait to bring it faster. Downhills don't count.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Hum. I probably have the right to remain silent.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Actually I was off the bike. At 3 years old, I was riding in circles with my brother (who was about 7 at the time) in our house's driveway. Somehow, my brother fell into the small stream behind the house and I ran to my parents crying for help, kind of running while dragging the bike by the right handle. (Yeah, I remember it was the right handle.) Once in a while, my Dad still tells the story and laughs his head off. (My bro' was alright, by the way.)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every ride is just great. Even greater with a tailwind. Feels like flying...

I'm glad to become part of this community. You gals are great, and a great source of inspiration (and tips too!)

welcome Grog! and welcome to the TE club on bikejournal! It's always nice to see new faces!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I registered last fall but never did this, so I will do it now.

Where do you live? Sacramento, California

Explanation of your handle: I have been using it for so long that I no longer remember.

Explanation of your avatar: My lack of an avatar, you mean? I have never gotten around to taking a picture of my bike, and nobody wants to see my picture there.

Age (general or specific): 35

Favorite bike: My Bianchi Veloce. I love it more than I love several of my pets.

What's in your stable? '03 Bianchi Veloce, '02 Specialized Crossroads, '05 Specialized Rockhopper, '63 Schwinn Hollywood that I've probably still put more miles on than all the others combined.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Speed frightens me and I have to remember not to hit the brakes going downhill. Probably 27 mph on a downhill, and I might have been screaming at the time.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? See above, re: avatars. Here's me in Mexico last year (that is not my ugly van):

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I am a lawyer. I refuse to answer this question.

Most memorable moment on my bike: I think probably it was this weekend when I was dodging a post on the bike trail and my husband called back to warn me that I was about to run over a baby rattlesnake.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Actually I am pretty sure it was my first time ever on a road bike. My then-boyfriend (now husband) had been trying to get me to ride for years, and I'd been pedaling that tank of a Crossroads around on the bike trial for about a year, and he finally talked me into getting a road bike. The test rides were not too scary, and I really loved the Veloce as soon as I rode it, but I was still not sure I was ever going to love it until we went on our first ride the night I bought it, and I suddenly learned that road bikes go fast! I still love it but that first ride was such a revelation.

Xeney: what a wonderful post!...welcome to the board and thanks for sharing!

and let's hear it for the road bikes and going fast!! yeeeehaaaa

Where do you live?
    Middle Earth (New Zealand)

Explanation of your handle:
    I have always wanted to be called Raven - I first found it as a name in a book about Morgaine - sister to King Arthur of Camelot. Raven was one of the priestesses of Avalon. RoadRaven --- cause I love to cycle on the road...

Explanation of your avatar:
    None needed - I'll be putting a Raven there... self-explanatory...

Age (general or specific):
    Late 30s

Adult tutor/lecturer

Favorite bike:
    My Scorpion - it's red with matching red tyres - red makes you go faster, don't you know?

What's in your stable?
    Well... the bikes in the stable attached to this house number ten.
    Personally, I have an Avanti Black Thunder, which I rarely ride. And my Scorpio 2001 RA 200. I look forward to adding a TimeTrial bike in 6-8 months if I can develop enough endurance not to be ashamed to ride one...

Fastest speed on a road bike?
    I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to do more than about 60km downhill, and the fastest I can cycle to so far on the flat is only 40km per hour (but I can't sustain that for long... yet!)

Most memorable moment on my bike:
    Finishing my first road race. I actually did it, and in a respectable time despite a crash 10km from the finish line. That was pretty cool. (LOL... finishing, not crashing!!!)

Most fun ever had on a bike?
    Riding with my family... with my daughter... my sons -thats always fun With my partner - thats the best.

Where do you live?
    Carpentersville, Illinois

Age (general or specific):

Social Work

Favorite bike:
    I love both my Cannondale bikes!

What's in your stable?
    My Cannondale R700, my very first bike (since my 10 speed in gradeschool), just started riding last September, and it's quickly becoming an obsession of mine. Someday, I'll trade up for the R5000! Just got my Cannondale mountain bike this week, and can't wait to overcome some fears on the trails in Kettle Moraine, WI.

Fastest speed on a road bike?
    Well, I'm going to be honest and say that I'm just starting to not break all the way down the hills (everybody needs to start somewhere), so only about 27 mph.

Most memorable moment on my bike:
    The day that I got back on my bike (after a quick stop) to travel the 20 miles back home, and felt an overwhelming feeling of love for the sport of cycling (and my bike).

Most fun ever had on a bike?
    Riding with boyfriend (who got me to buy my first bike) on this really hilly trail as fast as I could to keep up with him. It was, and always is a complete blast! The longest I've gone so far is 50 miles, and right now I'm concentrating on adding speed. I'm doing the American Lung Association Ride on June 3-5 (150 miles - 50 miles each day), and already signed up for my very first century (Apple Cider) in September, so I have plenty of time to train. My favorite thing about being on my bike is the feeling of freedom while I'm riding, and the feeling of pride when I've just pushed myself to the max!

Welcome, Loni! Great to have another Illinoian around! Good luck with the ALA ride - isn't this area great for all sorts of invitationals and charity rides? And SuperWeek is coming up!!! Woohoo!!!