Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 75 of 175 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2614

To disable ads, please log-in.

Welcome Ellen and GreenMnt!

Ellen: how wonderful you found a bike that worked for you instead of just giving in. and bee pollination?? My aunt used to do that years ago when she lived on a farm. She has sinced moved back into town and given all that up but she sure did enjoy working with her bees!

Green: welcome to another bike commuter! Isn't is an Awesome day when you get to ride your bike to work?? I don't even think of it as being a "bike commute" anymore - it's how I get to work! Even when it's cold and I'm really whiney - I wouldn't drive!

Welcome one N all!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I'm the Fat Lady from Can A Fat Lady Ride? ha.

My name is Kathy and I'm from Decatur AL. I am mom to four grown children and two spoiled Malte-poo doggies. I am a published writer, love to read, travel, go to garage sales, antiquing, riding my bike!, playing the mountain dulcimer, journal, blog, photography, cooking, and on and on. I'm a former high school math teacher and now retired and just focus on my writing.
    I'm out of shape, hoping to get into shape and get some time out alone, and that's why I'm taking up cycling. I'm happy to meet you all and for all your encouragement. Just knowing you're not alone means a LOT.

Aloha from Maine

Where do you live? off the rocky coast of Maine

Explanation of your handle: It is a contraction of my last name and my husband's last name--it substitutes nicely for the "Flintstones" theme song--Limmtones, Meet the Limmtones.....

Explanation of your avatar: I don't yet have an avatar-- computer, deity, or otherwise. If I were computer savvy I would create an icon with closed/slit eyes (trying to keep the wind out), tears draining out the sides (allergies), snot running out my nose (riding and running outdoors just makes me leak all over), and bugs in my teeth--oh and how can we forget the sunglasses/racoon tan lines.

Age (general or specific) 42 and counting

Occupation: In my former life I did psychology research in my present life I am handmaiden to 2 little boys/future riders.

Favorite bike: My almost one year-old, candy apple red Serotta CIII

What's in your stable? aforementioned Serotta CIII, Merz road bike from the 70's outfitted with museumworthy Campy Super Record, Bridgestone MTB 3.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 42 mph--cranking down Cornell Blvd in Portland, OR.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "Yes, mom when we travel together he gets his own room."

Most memorable moment on my bike: I took my new boyfriend (now husband) out on what should have been a 70 mile ride but I took a wrong turn---about 4 or so miles into a fabulous descent I mentioned, "I don't remember this downhill". Immediately after uttering those words-- I realized that we had taken a wrong turn. Oops. We descended another 4 miles or so-scrounged up enough money from our toolkits to purchase one measly stack of fig newtons---and then slogged back uphill. The ride ended up being his first century (110+ miles!)--and the last time I was ever in charge of the ride route.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Years ago I did the last century of a double century ride--with my then boyfriend--on the back of his custom built tandem road bike (yes, he had it built for us--I broke up with him shortly thereafter--but I have always loved that tandem)--we cranked out those miles so fast and furiously---I turned around at one point and saw a peleton of hot young road racers all competing for the privilege of sucking our wheel --I fantasized that they just all wanted to ride behind me--but I know, I know, they really just wanted to ride along in our tremendous draft. Alas.

I was raised in Hawaii, went to college and graduate school in Oregon---where I began riding and riding--and then moved out to far Northern Maine with my husband. I am Asian and it is so white out here (I'm not talking snow)--so we decided to make a few more people of color using tools we had at home. My husband and our two hapa haole (Hawaiian speak for biracial) boys live and ride (and crash!) in the midcoast area of Maine. And I am allergic to lobsters-how sad, eh?

Aloha --you all seem like a very likeable, inspirational, encouraging and fun set of ladies. Thanks
    Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by limmtones
    Where do you live? off the rocky coast of Maine

What's in your stable? aforementioned Serotta CIII, Merz road bike from the 70's outfitted with museumworthy Campy Super Record, Bridgestone MTB 3.

I was raised in Hawaii, went to college and graduate school in Oregon---where I began riding and riding--and then moved out to far Northern Maine with my husband. I am Asian and it is so white out here (I'm not talking snow)--so we decided to make a few more people of color using tools we had at home. My husband and our two hapa haole (Hawaiian speak for biracial) boys live and ride (and crash!) in the midcoast area of Maine. And I am allergic to lobsters-how sad, eh?

Aloha --you all seem like a very likeable, inspirational, encouraging and fun set of ladies. Thanks
    Maggie
    Welcome, Maggie!

What part of Maine did you settle in? I have relatives in Scarborough and my dad is in a VA hospital near Augusta in Togus. I was just there for the first time last October. Beautiful coastline, just awesome! I noticed that too, about the racial one-sidedness, and was slightly disappointed in that. California has EVERYBODY! I'm much more used to that, and prefer the diversity of cultures.

The Merz sounds swwweeet! I like those old frames with the vintage Campy sets on them.

Stick around...these gals are super-duper-great.

~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

First Post

Where do you live? Boston (actually Somerville) MA

Explanation of your handle: hiraku means open in Japanese and Kibou means hope. I am mixed heritage Japanese American.

Explanation of your avatar: hmm. Haven't figured this one out yet.

Age (general or specific) 44 will be 45 this year in September

Occupation: Former Professor of Education, currently artist and Reiki master

Favorite bike: I am getting a Luna prebuilt and can't wait. Would love to have a custom built Luna with Campy stuff on it. Yum.

What's in your stable? Fuji Provence, and a Fuji Sagres

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 30.1 down a hill in Bedford MA, woo hoo!

Another picture of yourself or your ride? No pics yet.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Hmmm. Don't lie much which is the truth. I've called in sick before when it was really a mental health day. I guess that counts.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Well, I was just getting to know my sweetie and he took me for a bike ride. We rode about 25 miles which was the longest I had ever gone. At one point, when my energy was flagging, he put his hand on the small of my back and gave me a much needed push. Not only was it helpful, but a surge of electricity went through me. I guess I fell in love on a bicycle, at least in part.

Most fun ever had on a bike? I have fun all the time for different reasons. Sometimes it's fun to ride with my eleven year old daughter. She'll pass me and say catch me. When I do and then pass her she says, "Mommy, I am tired, slow down!" So, I do. She'll change gears for the fun of it petalling 90 mph and then put it in the big ring just to see what happens. All in the life of an eleven year old!

Quote Originally Posted by bamakathy
    I'm a former high school math teacher and now retired and just focus on my writing.
    Welcome and I'm a math teacher too. I can retire in a year or two, but I think I'll just keep going. I love it too much. I ride my bike to school every day and the kids think it's cool. So cool, in fact, that they have approached me about starting a biking club. Ah, I love teenagers. Go figure!

How long did you teach?

Where do you live? Munich, Germany

Explanation of your handle: Shortened form of my full name.

Explanation of your avatar: Errrr. I´m trying to work out how to create one.

Age (general or specific): 29

Favorite bike: I´ve just been to look at a bianchi....

What's in your stable? Not the Bianchi (yet)! 25 year old Peugeot road bike and a Corratec mountain bike

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 54 kmh on a back road near Lake Constance, Germany.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: The one I used to tell myself about halfway through every rowing race I did: "you can retire from this sport at the end of this race"

Most memorable moment on my bike: The first time I rode by myself. It would have helped if I had known where the brakes were.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Second time trial I ever did. I hadn´t realised that I could go that fast for an hour, the feeling of actually being in a race was great and I even beat my target time.

I´m already feeling very encouraged by reading all of the nice posts that are on this board, thank you.

Bron

Getting to know all about you...

Where do you live? Liberty Lake, WA (just east of Spokane, WA, near the WA/ID border)

Explanation of your handle: Colby has been my nickname since my brother (now 13, half my age) was young and couldn't pronounce the "Ni-" syllable in Nicole. Colby is much easier to say in a really whiny voice than Nicole

Explanation of your avatar: It's the Dolby Digital symbol except the first D is reversed to be a C -- Colby Digital.

Age (general or specific): 26

Occupation: Technically, my title is Director, Product Management, but I am really just an engineer-type person at a network security software company with lots of extra responsibility. I do love my job, but it keeps me busy.

Favorite bike: I'm a little new to the whole "actually interested in bikes" scene, so I don't have any favorites.

What's in your stable? I just bought a Novara Carema Pro (2006) from REI (of course) a couple of months ago (see her here). I also have a cheapie MTB we bought at Costco for $200 just to have something to ride trails and dirt with.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I don't have a magic computer just yet, so I don't really know. When I biked with a friend last, we averaged 12 and ended up going around 25 down a hill, but it is a paved trail so we tried not to go too crazy down hills

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Hmm, I don't have any pictures up anywhere.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "It doesn't hurt, really"

Most memorable moment on my bike: I haven't had my new bike very long, but I really enjoy it. Just recently, we were biking a local trail system, and a pair of bikers were right behind myself and a friend. We came up to a hill, one of the guys passed us with a friendly "hello" (so we knew the second would be not far behind). As we separated and went up the hill (she tells me I speed up on hills ), I could hear the second guy RIGHT behind me, but the further we went the more ground he lost... so I slowed down to let him pass near the top, and his friendly greeting was more like a pant that resembled "hello" -- his ego might have been bruised, but it was definitely memorable!

Most fun ever had on a bike? The most fun moments are those ones where everything is in synch. You can feel your legs moving in a perfect rhythm, your body moving just right, and your mind clears... everything kind of disappears.

I really enjoyed reading everyone else's introductions, so I didn't think it was fair to not post my own

Smile Getting to know all about you...

Where do you live? Olympic Peninsula, WA State

Explanation of your handle: That old parable about the starfish on the beach is meaningful for me, and helps me remember a lot of the way I want to be in the world.

One day on the beach at low tide after a storm, stretching into the distance, countless starfish were stranded above the water line. A woman slowly walked the beach, tossing each starfish back into the water as she came to it. An observer asked her how she could think it could matter, or make any difference, when she could never reach them all. Her response: "It matters to this one."

Explanation of your avatar: Coming soon!

Age (general or specific): Newly 40!

Favorite bike: The one in my head at any given moment! Current dreams include a custom Seven Axiom, Jett saddle, Salsa bar, in Electric Blueberry and Amber Ale.

What's in your stable? The one bike in my "stable" ;-) is a Specialized Sequoia Elite, which is starting to look pretty weird with recently added aero bars and soon to be added mountain bike cassette and derailleur on the back! Some would say a strange combo.

Fastest speed on a road bike? 42mph... where? Down the Hurricane Ridge Road in Port Angeles... when? Almost every time! I dream of someday having the bike and handling skills to go faster.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I need to get on this.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Any of the ones I told myself while ever dating a man I knew deep down wasn't right for me.

Most memorable moment on my bike: I don't think I could choose, but finishing my first century alone has to be up there.

Most fun ever had on a bike? It would be pretty hard to choose from all the great memories, but strangely enough, what comes to mind is my last ride, a couple days ago. Nothing too special, but I treated myself to a completely flat ride just for fun (flat rides are limited around here), to work on my spin and position on the aero bars, and it was just a blast. Rare warm sunny day without wind. Beautiful view. I felt strong. I live for those days.

I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking & reading for a few days. You seem like a good group!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Hi

Where do you live? Kelowna, BC, Canada

Explanation of your handle: I'm from Kelowna. I'm a girl.

Explanation of your avatar: Hang on while I go find out what that is.....

....is it graphic? If so, I don't have one (yet)

Age (general or specific) 46

Favorite bike: My current bike 2005 Rocky Mountain Fusion. Don't have a "dream" bike - haven't done this long enough yet.

What's in your stable? 2005 Rocky Mountain Fusion

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Don't have a road bike but I've done 45kmh on my mountain bike, going downhill. Could go faster but too scared still.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Am I supposed to put it on here?

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Hmmm, will have to think about that one. Probably one told to my kids in good faith.It wasn't about biking though.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Haven't had one yet. Oh wait, I rode 50+k last summer when it was over 100 degrees and I had pretty well zero experience.

Most fun ever had on a bike? I'm sorry, I just don't have any good stories yet.

Hi to everyone who has joined that I haven't said hi to yet! Welcome to the boards and may you find many many smooth roads ahead

Mel

Where do you live? Durham, UK

Explanation of your handle: i'm not sure i can remember where it came from.

Explanation of your avatar: it's from Tolkein...tolkein and a computer joke

Age (general or specific) 24

Favorite bike: i dunno...my bike

What's in your stable? Carrera Subway 1

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? erm...16mph

Another picture of yourself or your ride?

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: don't lie, haven't since i was about 12

Most memorable moment on my bike: riding about in the hills near my hometown in scotland...so pretty.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Yesterday, i was on my bike with my son and we were having races...he's 3 and he was winning

[QUOTE=limmtones] we decided to make a few more people of color using tools we had at home. [QUOTE=limmtones]

Okay, limmtones, that made me laugh! And welcome to the board! So many great women, and great advice!

Tamara

Where do you live: Salem, OR the beautiful Willamette Valley

Explanation of your handle: I am a Gemini (sign of the twins) and for years, I would receive duplicate mailings... one addressed to Barb, the other to Brenda. I decided that Brenda must be my evil twin, and boy, does she have fun!!!!

Explanation of your avatar: huh???

Age(general or specific): turning a glorious 50 this June!!!

Occupation: RNFA... registered nurse first assistant in the operating room

Favorite Bike: my one and only newly purchased Giant OCR 1

What's in your stable: see above

Fastest speed on a road bike? when? where?: 41.5mph... a month after getting my bike my BF and I were coming down Valley View Rd.. just outside of Marion, OR

Another picture of yourself:uh.. camera and computer challenged here

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: ah, shucks, I sure don't know you gals well enough to tell you things I've never even told my mother...

Most memorable moment on a bike: Squirrel dodging.... I've nearly hit two in the last 3 weeks... my BF has been riding for years and never even come close... they just cross right in front of me for some reason.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Just started riding again after almost 30 years of slugdom. My first ride was 25 miles, and then just for fun, I went out the next day and did 20 more!!!

Welcome to TE! This is a great place where you'll make some wonderful friends! Enjoy!

EvilTwin - sometime you'll have to tell us some the things "Brenda" has done

starfish - nice parable - I like that!