Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 44 of 175 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

hello all

To disable ads, please log-in.

Guess I'll jump in and introduce myself as well...

Where do you live? Mount Desert Island, Maine

Explanation of your handle: I travel a lot for work and I was born in '62

Explanation of your avatar: The suitcase represents my literal and metaphoric journey through life

Favorite bike: My brand new competition red Serotta Fierte!!

What's in your stable? Trek 7000 mountain bike, Terry Classic, Serotta Fierte

Fastest speed on a road bike? Where? When? 40 mph coming down Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park .

Biggest lie you’ve ever told? Lying takes waaaaay too much energy.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet but I’ll work on it!

Most memorable moment on my bike? One of the most memorable moments was a recent bike ride in Tuscany, Italy. Particularly enjoyable was biking back to Florence after a 2 hour lunch in the countryside (with much wine).

I’m adding this one to the list-> Ride you dream about doing? Riding the “Going to the Sun” highway through Glacier National Park, Montana
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by kmoty
    This is/you are an amazing group of women. Perhaps not really amazing, since I think women are smart, caring, thoughtful, and willing to share themselves, but it's a privilege to see all of those things play out in the postings on TE.
    The "not fun yet" bit is because I'm still a little scared of the bike. Like one or two others who have spoken in various threads, I learn physical stuff slowly (I'm much quicker at the analytical/empathetic stuff), and I hate the process of learning anything. It may take me a while, but I'll keep plugging away.

Just hearing about others' experience is a great support.

Thanks, all, for just sharing who you are.

Karen
    Well if there is anything we can do to pass the fun on - we're here for ya! and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as you go through the learning phase!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michelemarrano
    Fait accompli: Put on our own Passover Seder in 2005....got dinner on the table only 17 minutes into the holiday meal---read Hagaddah at FedEx warp speed, entire evening wrapped up, dessert and coffee, within 2 hours!!

ROFLMAO! I Loved the way you wrote that! Thanks for the grins and giggles - and welcome to the board!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

welcome to the board Traveller! Mt Desert Island?? it was the last place my ex took me and I LOVED the island - hated the time spent with the ex! ROFL

I vaguely remember renting bikes and riding the carriage trails there - does that sound right?? He was such a jackazz when it came to riding I may have blocked that memory out! (yet another reason he's an ex! )

If it wasn't for your winters I would've loved to have moved there!!

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    welcome to the board Traveller! Mt Desert Island?? it was the last place my ex took me and I LOVED the island - hated the time spent with the ex! ROFL

I vaguely remember renting bikes and riding the carriage trails there - does that sound right?? He was such a jackazz when it came to riding I may have blocked that memory out! (yet another reason he's an ex! )

If it wasn't for your winters I would've loved to have moved there!!
    Thanks for the welcome, CorsairMac. I've enjoyed this message board. Great stuff gets posted here and I've found the board to be full of very supportive, enthusiastic cyclists.

I'm bummed that your memories of MDI include a not so great experience with your ex. If you come back to visit let me know and we'll go out for a great ride around the island. There is some awesome cycling here.

Just as you mention, there are 50-plus miles of carriage road trails that wind through Acadia National Park. No cars are allowed on them but you do have to watch out for folks on horseback! I tend to spend more time on the Park Loop Road (asphalt) than on the Carriage Roads (dirt/gravel).

Winters aren't too bad except that we don't have much daylight. Because we are on the ocean it doesn't get as cold here as it does elsewhere in Maine. But I like the cold weather so it suits me pretty good. When we decent snow, the Carriage Roads are just the ticket for some great cross country skiing. And when there is no snow there is always ice skating across the many lakes and ponds!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Getting To Know You!

Where do you live? Shelbyville, KY

Explanation of your handle: my initial + what I like to do, bike.

Age (general or specific) 43 soon to be 44 (New Years Day)

Favorite bike: I've only had one, purchased my Univega GrandTorismo back in 1986 when I was in college. Maybe someday I'll purchase a new bike but hey I love my little blue bike!

What's in your stable? Univega Grand Torismo

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38.6, somewhere around Louisville on July 20, 2005

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I have a few but they are too large to post

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I try not to lie.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Completing my first century last month, average speed 16.6 mph. I had so much fun I rode another the following weekend.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Riding with my SO!

Where do you live? Preston, UK

Explanation of your handle: It's a Scottish delicacy (like a battered, deep fried potato burger) which I loved as a teenager - think their disgusting now though.
    Explanation of your avatar: Don't have one yet, must get round to it.

Age (general or specific) 31

Favorite bike: My new baby, my Titus MotoLite

What's in your stable? My Titus, my Rock Lobster hardtail (gathering dust at the moment), My Ribble road bike (fair weather commuter) my Old Specialized Rock Hopper hack bike (filthy weather commuter), half of a Collela full-suss mtb tandem.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? about 38mph, on the downhill before arriving at work (still find road brakes scary in comparison to disks)
    Another picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have a pic of me on the Titus uploaded yet, but there is one of my hardtail not covered in kak (for a change)
    http://www.jeznewsome.pwp.blueyonder...%20Lobster.htm

Some other pictures of me actually riding my RL and one of me looking worried on the back of the tandem as well as some of our other bikes etc on the website
    http://www.jeznewsome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Not a good liar

Most memorable moment on my bike: A few, but one I'm most proud of lately is completing the Mary Towneley Loop ( total of 50 mile off road ride - about 90% off road) in crappy weather and headwind from hell and feeling ok the next day.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Around Easter time this year on the Glentress Red mtb route in Scotland. Its not a particularly technical route but the sun was shining (miracle for Scotland), track was dry so railing all the berms, flying along and pedalling harder on the descent than the up, magic!

Welcome to the board Mak! Congrats on your first - and your second century! They kinda get addicting don't they! I was gonna try and do one a month once I started riding em - but my Sats have become Waaaay to hectic to even get a short ride in! *cigh* misses summer already!

welcome to the board Tattie!........ROFL loved your ID and your description. Guess I'm gonna have to make it back to Scotland to try one of those! and Congrats on the new bike! I always love reading about ppls new rides!

PS: Mak, Tattie did ya'll see the TE map thread too? Lets ya mark - kinda sorta - where ya'll live and see whereabout the rest of us are!

Hello --

Where do you live? Prescott, Arizona

Explanation of your handle: It is the name of the street where my house is(that I love but am NOT living in but I will live in again). My boys and I also like to call it "Mad Gazelle" or, when it fits, "Mad As Hell."

Explanation of your avatar: Like so many before me, I have yet to get one, have one, know what one is!

Favorite bike: Well - the one I have! And, like so many other things, I just don't know any better!

What's in your stable? Just my old Schwinn tank.

Fastest speed on a road bike? Where? When? Lordy . . . I have no idea. I know my slowest speed, though.

Biggest lie you’ve ever told? "I would LOVE for you to come visit for Christmas!!!"

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I really, really, really hate pictures. But I'm learning to lighten up.

Most memorable moment on my bike? So far . . . . . just doing it every day is amazing me. I don't really have a very good memory, so I try to live in the moment.

Welcome to the board Mad!! I gotta tell ya - I was one of the "mad as hell" folk and was giggling at how clever you user name was, still is! I used to live in Phoenix - rode the Harley up to Prescott in the summers to escape the heat! Love that ride up the back road - *cigh* - I just need to get my hinney back there!!

Thanks, Corsair Mac, for the greeting

Hi Corsair Mac--Thanks for welcoming us to the board. Are you the Almighty Board Queen for Team Estrogen?

If not, you're a great hostess!! xoxox MM
    Fit and Fabulous on a Bike...Decrepit on a Horse!

Don't call her that! It'll go to her head!!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelemarrano
    Hi Corsair Mac--Thanks for welcoming us to the board. Are you the Almighty Board Queen for Team Estrogen?

If not, you're a great hostess!! xoxox MM

ROFL - it's a lonely thankless job but Somebody has to do it! (hears little tiny violins playing in the background)

Actually I spend most of my day here since my job doesn't keep me busy enough to fill 8 hrs so I just happen to be the one to "catch" most of the newcomers first. Plus I've been a newbie before where no one even noticed I was there and man can that be discouraging - especially if someone is a first time poster and is already nervous about it. Besides - I just LOVE to chat! (I know that last part was hard to tell )

But thanks for the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Don't call her that! It'll go to her head!!

You!! Hush! It isn't often someone calls me a queen - they are usually using Other names with mine in the same sentence!