Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 43 of 175 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Where do you live? Sandwich, Massachusetts
    Explanation of your handle: My other passion is seakayaking. I love dancing on the water...and on the bike.
    Explanation of your avatar: Me at the start of my first charity ride.
    Age 56

Favorite bike: My purple fade Cannondale

What's in your stable? Cannondale R800 WSD, Fisher Big Sur GS
    Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 34mph down a short steep hill on Cape Cod (yes, we have hills!)

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Have to get the BF to take one some day.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told:That question reminds me of the game "truth or dare" that we used to play at slumber parties (now called sleep-overs)

Most memorable moment on my bike: Heading out on the start of The Last Gasp ride this past weekend with the soulful sound of a bagpiper on the edge of the canal.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Flying down the canal with a 30-knot wind at my back. Wheeee

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Where do you live? Antioch, CA

Explanation of your handle: Duh?!?

Explanation of your avatar: It's my dog Greta. She died a year ago October and I just haven't had the heart to change it. I really like Irulan's but haven't been able to make one half as good.

Age (general or specific) 38 on Dec 17th!

Favorite bike: My Rambouillet

What's in your stable? a Rivendell Rambouillet - better known as Fluffy, a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, a Santana Arriva tandem, and a 12 year old Rockhopper

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 59 on a 7% grade on the back of the tandem WHEEEEE! I generallly hit the mid 30s on descents I know well. I always stay in my own lane - unlike some cars I've followed.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? If you're really interested there are a bunch on our website

TandemHearts

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I 'm a lousy liar.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Crashing my Stumpjumper on a rainy day going off the sidewalk in front of my house while wearing my slippers and no helmet. My hand still hasn't fully recovered. The bike is fine.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Probably chasing down a roadie while riding the tandem on the Ironman route in Hawaii.

Veronica

This was fun to read - to see what has changed.

Now my avatar is from a ride up Diablo. Thom had the camera mounted on his fork and pointed backwards.

Fastest speed ever is still on the tandem. But coming down Diablo this past weekend I got to just over 42 mph on Fluffy.

Most memorable moment - 3 crashes in 3 days in Utah this past summer. The first day I took a handlebar to the armpit. The second day I crashed hard crossing a dry river bed and my hands and hip were totally black and blue. The third day I crashed and the handlebar hit me in the kidney. I just kept getting back on the bike and riding. At the end of the tour I got the Million Dollar Injury Award.

Most fun - climbing up to Lagoa do Fogo on Sao Miguel. Someday we'll get those Azores pictures posted.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Smile Getting to Know You!

Where do you live? Folkston, Georgia

Explanation of your handle: Not too original, I'm afraid

Explanation of your avatar: This cat looks just like a cat I raised from birth - Phoebe

Age (general or specific) 44

Favorite bike: would LOVE a Trek Pilot!!!

What's in your stable? Giant OCR 3

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 30 mph

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have very many pixs of myself - I hate having my pix taken

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: That I wasn't pregnant (when I really was - don't ask!)

Most memorable moment on my bike: Well, it's not the kind of memory you want to remember! I was riding a loop around the Okefenokee Swamp. It started to rain - if anyone lives in the southeast, you know how we get torrential downpours. I could barely see a foot ahead of me. Saw what I thought was a black stick in the middle of the road. Swerved to avoid it and looked to my right to see a cottonmouth snake with it's mouth wide opened, showing me why they call them cottonmouths! It was inches from my ankle. I think that's when I went my top speed of 30mph!!! :

Most fun ever had on a bike? The best time is when it's cool, no wind, no traffic! Early morning rides are awesome!
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

Welcome to the board Shaula. What I wouldn't give for a Trek Pilot, or Madone, or..........

Holy Smokes on the cottonmouth story - that Would be a memorable ride! Hope to keep seeing ya around!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Ok here goes:

Where do you live? Pittsburgh, PA

Explanation of your handle: That's a secret.

Explanation of your avatar: Still trying to GET one of those.

Age (general or specific) 40

Favorite bike: Mmmm... I like the Trek5200 WSD

What's in your stable? Trek 2000

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?

52 km/hour (my bike computer and I are both Canadian). This summer, going down a steep hill, trying to get up as much speed as possible to get UP the next hill.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? No pictures handy.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told:

"We're just friends"

Most memorable moment on my bike:

I PASSED my husband going up a hill. He is a very strong cyclist and an especially strong climber who inevitably has to wait for me in hilly territory. One day this summer I was feeling espeically energetic and found myself on his back tire. I mustered all my energy and blew by him, then pulled ahead. Surprised the @#$# out of him.

Most fun ever had on a bike?

Riding in the hills around Sewickly - beautiful winding, rolling, smoothly paved roads with very little traffic.
    Last edited by fretwes; 10-20-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Hey, I lived in Chico!

Hi Abuelitodimetu, I was at Chico State way back in the late 70's, even managed to get my BA degree! I rode my bike to school, to work and all over Bidwell Park. I really enjoyed my years there. Way to go riding UP honey run! That is some climb. Is the old covered bridge still there? BikerHen

welcome to the board fret! so - what IS the meaning behind your ID.......inquiring minds want to know! *wink wink nod nod*

and I LOVE the story of passing your hubby on a hill - I could just imagine the look on his face! WoooHoo we are Women hear us ROAR!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Where do you live? Birmingham, AL but I'm an Okie at heart

Explanation of your handle: Variation on the name of a horse I showed for years, it's what I've always used and I've just never bothered making up a new one.

Explanation of your avatar: Don't really have time to mess with getting one.

Age (general or specific): 24

Favorite bike: the only one I have

What's in your stable? A giant MTB I got from my friend when she upgraded

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? When? absolutely no idea, I'm kinda a chicken when it comes to going fast although I'm getting better

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I avoid the camera at all costs

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Eh, I have no idea

Most memorable moment on my bike: Every time I do something I hadn't been able to do previously, whether it's getting over an obstacle I've never gotten over before on the trails, or getting up one of those hills on the road easier than I had before.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Getting up early in the morning and going out on the trails before everyone else, being around the wild life with no outside distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    welcome to the board fret! so - what IS the meaning behind your ID.......inquiring minds want to know! *wink wink nod nod*

and I LOVE the story of passing your hubby on a hill - I could just imagine the look on his face! WoooHoo we are Women hear us ROAR!

Thanks! Actually I was just trying to be smart. My id is the first 5 letters of my last name, followed by the first letter of first name. Boring eh?

Quote Originally Posted by fretwes

Thanks! Actually I was just trying to be smart. My id is the first 5 letters of my last name, followed by the first letter of first name. Boring eh?
    Sounds smart to me.... I thought at first you were fretting over some guy named Wes.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Getting to Know You

Where do you live? Jessup, MD

Explanation of your handle: Unimaginative: first initial, first part of last name. Easy to remember.

Explanation of your avatar: I think cats are the nicest of animals—this one, like me, is looking at a bike with equal parts anxiety and hope.

Age (general or specific): 57. Hadn’t been on a bike in 25 years, completely non-athletic, and feeling like a VERY late bloomer.

Occupation: Evaluation officer, federal agency that works with museums and libraries.

Favorite bike: The Schwinn 10-speed I used for commuting from Boston to Cambridge 25 years ago!

What's in your stable? Trek WSD 1000 and Sedona hybrid (mistake). But the road bike has Campy hoods and gears. I know, kind of like rigging a jet engine on a go cart, but the Shimano hoods were just too big for my little hands—and I’ve always liked contraditions.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Too slow to hurt myself much. I’m a klutz.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I hate having my picture taken.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: My besetting sin is too much honest information.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Too new to have one. For me, staying upright is still a triumph! Just went to clipless, so that’s no small achievement.

Most fun ever had on a bike? See above. It’s not really fun yet. I KNOW it can be.
    Last edited by kmoty; 10-22-2005 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
    No matter how much the world changes, cats will never ride bicycles.

Where do you live: Central Pennsylvania

Explanation of your handle: Needed a fake name for internet

Favorite bike: I don't know anything about bikes but I love what I'm riding now - why change?

What's in your stable: Trek 1000 SL

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 24 mph according to my little computer - I don't remember that though

Another picture of yourself or your ride? No pics on bike - I can't photograph myself while riding!

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: huh?

Most memorable moment on my bike: Slow-mode falling while avoiding a petrified pedestrian - I had just gotten my clipless pedals and I couldn't unclip in time! All he had to do was keep moving! Oh - and there were numerous other witnesses who asked if I was OK.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Driving by a pasture of baby cows - how cute! Don't worry - it's a diary farm. I'm pretty sure they're not for eating

Welcome to the board BT. Med School?? Good luck and nice to meet ya!!

Welcome to the board Kmoty! So I gotta ask - you still Got that Schwinn? I lost my first real road bike in the course of too many moves but man I still miss that thing! but "not really fun yet?" is that coz you just went clipless??

Welcome to the board Anne! Yup I think we've all done that "falling over in slo-mo while still clipped in" thing!! Welcome to the club!

Getting to Know You

This is/you are an amazing group of women. Perhaps not really amazing, since I think women are smart, caring, thoughtful, and willing to share themselves, but it's a privilege to see all of those things play out in the postings on TE.

Nope, I gave the Schwinn to my partner's daughter 10 years ago, and it was lost in one of several moves. Yep, I still miss it.

The "not fun yet" bit is because I'm still a little scared of the bike. Like one or two others who have spoken in various threads, I learn physical stuff slowly (I'm much quicker at the analytical/empathetic stuff), and I hate the process of learning anything. It may take me a while, but I'll keep plugging away.

Just hearing about others' experience is a great support.

Thanks, all, for just sharing who you are.

Karen
    No matter how much the world changes, cats will never ride bicycles.

My Bio

I guess I'll finally introduce myself--

Name: Michele Hoepfner

Age; 44

Locale: Columbus Ohio

In the Stable: My bikes: 2002 Bianchi Boardwalk with racing slicks, 1990-something Trek MTB with low miles. Hubby: 2004 EZ Racer Speedster recumbent + 1993 Schwinn MTB (with extra high cushy handlbars). Daughter #1: Jamis WSD MTB (she will only ride if it's to the MALL), Daughter #2: Mongoose MTB and Schwinn STINGRAY (Like the one I had in 1970).

Other hobbies: Camping/RV-ing, former horsey-lady. My kids think I love our dog more than I love them (**laugh**)

Biggest Lie---None---I'm from FedEx--I don't have time to lie!!

Fait accompli: Put on our own Passover Seder in 2005....got dinner on the table only 17 minutes into the holiday meal---read Hagaddah at FedEx warp speed, entire evening wrapped up, dessert and coffee, within 2 hours!!
    Fit and Fabulous on a Bike...Decrepit on a Horse!