Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 175 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

To disable ads, please log-in.

Where do you live? Placerville, California

Explanation of your handle: I sense a bunch of dog lovers ‘round here. After my husband, the love of my life is my yellow lab.

Explanation of your avatar: I have one ready, when the time comes…

Age (general or specific): Hovering around 40.

Favorite bike: ?? I have to STAY AWAY from new gear otherwise I will lose control. I need to save money for a home heating system…

What's in your stable? I fell so “light”! Specialized Allez Vita customized with my various components-of-the-month, Trek 4500

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? How’s this for precision: 46.3. May of 2004, on a newly paved section of a long hill near my home in Placerville. The stars must have been aligned that day…usual speed there is 39-41 mph.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Another one of my loves…skiing. Picture me in the spring, on the east side of the Sierra, searching for corn snow...

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: “I really don’t want a fast, cute car. Practical is fine.”

Most memorable moment on my bike: My hubby’s first ride on a road bike. It was kind of a nasty, rainy day, but he wanted to ride anyhow. So we rode State Route 49 through the State Park where gold was discovered in CA, up to Cool, CA, and back down again. We were so wet and cold but man did we have a great time!

Most fun ever had on a bike? All girls’ ride with all (well, most) decades represented (women in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s!), followed by a great lunch and a few bottles of wine.

Steph

Where do you live?
    New Mexico

Explanation of your handle:
    Was snowboarding and saw a tulip in the snow and thought it was so pretty (someone must have dropped the tulip, only explanation for the tulip where I was)

Explanation of your avatar:
    Not ready for one

Age (general or specific)

Biologist

Favorite bike:
    My custom hardtail mtb

What's in your stable?
    Custom hardtail mtb that my hubby designed for me
    Titus Loco-moto
    GT Tequesta (commuter bike)
    KHS Mtb Tandem

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
    50 on the tandem, oh what fun!

Another picture of yourself or your ride?
    Wish I could post pictures to the site.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told:
    hmm...

Most memorable moment on my bike:
    When I realized how much I enjoy downhilling when we were riding National Trail in Phoenix, AZ (south mountain), then proceeded to buy full suspension mtb.

Most fun ever had on a bike?
    Grinning all the way down Porcupine in Moab, UT...even had the fellas' in my sights (even though they were on their freeride bikes and I was on my hardtail).

Where do you live? Concord, CA

Explanation of your handle: I'm also known as several not-so-nice names.

Explanation of your avatar: Too uncreative to make or find one.

Age (general or specific): 44

Favorite bike: Who can pick? The gorgeous Merlin Cielo, a custom-painted Trek Project One, any nicely lugged steel bike, my Airborne Zeppelin,... I like all bikes.

What's in your stable? Airborne Zeppelin, Specialized Stumpjumper

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? The top speed I allow myself is 40, since over that and I'm just pushing my luck. I've hit 40 on many downhills...

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'll never tell.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Hmmm... at the Death Ride, somewhere on Monitor Pass looking down into Nevada and thinking how pretty it looked, wondering how far we would descend. Duh, all the way.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Hmmm, maybe my first ride as an adult after about 20 years off a bike. A paved bike path, my new Specialized Hardrock (I didn't even know how to use the shifters), and a huge grin on my face (quite a change from my usual grimace). I was hooked.

Lightbulb we interrupt this thread ...

... for a brief public service announcement.

If you don't have a website to upload images, you could try http://tinypic.com/

It hosts your image and gives it a URL. And it's free.

Then you can post the image on this site by inserting the url between the "insert image" codes, which looks something like this:

{IMG}xxx{/IMG}

but instead of the {}'s you use []'s
    (if I used square brackets in the example above you wouldn't see the end result in my post!) and where the xxx is the complete url (including the http:// ) for your image. Hope that all makes sense.

I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it, Kathie !
    OK, who's next?

- Jo.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Where do you live? Swansea, MA

Explanation of your handle: I joined just about the time I bought my Trek.

Explanation of your avatar: Until now, I never considered developing one, but now have some ideas...

Age (general or specific): 49.99...(I'll be 50 on Feb. 15).

Favorite bike: ?? My new 2005 Trek 1500 WSD

What's in your stable? 2001 Schwinn Sierra GS (Hybrid) and my Trek (Road bike)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? In September in Miles Standish State Park going down a hill...27.5 mph...I didn't know I had done it until I checked the computer when I got home. The speed limit is 25 mph...glad the cop cruising the park didn't catch me!

Another picture of yourself or your ride? There are no pictures of me in bike clothes...I've got pictures of me in a wet suit. That's humiliating enough!

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: No, I don't mind if you take my picture while I'm wearing my wetsuit...

Most memorable moment on my bike: I haven't been riding long, so they have all been memorable!

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every ride has been fun so far!

Where do you live? Atlanta, GA

Explanation of your handle: That's how I answer the phone in my studio.

Explanation of your avatar: avatar??....you mean I could have an avatar??

Age (general or specific) 40-something!

Favorite bike: I'm lusting after a carbon Bianchi with Campy parts, but I ride Cannondale

What's in your stable? Cannondale R1000 Feminine (Actually have two of them!) a Cannondale Jekyll 400 WSD, and old Raleigh and Schwinn hybrids

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 28 on a short but steep decent (obviously!)

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have very many pixs of myself - I hate having my pix taken (me too!)

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I've never told a lie

Most memorable moment on my bike: The first ride over a gorgeous causeway in Miami with a great view of the ocean.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every single time I ride...

Where do you live? Northridge, CA

Explanation of your handle: My initials

Explanation of your avatar: None yet.....

Age (general or specific): Just turned 47!

Favorite bike: ?? For now, the 2 that I ride.

What's in your stable? MTB - Kona Kikapu Deluxe; Road - Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I'm still a newbie and getting the feel of this new found love, on the road 19 mph and on the trail 17 mph.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have any as I'm always taking the pictures!

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: When I was 14 and told my mom I was going to see a movie but really went to my first concert; Elvin Bishop Band and the Doobie Brothers! Learned early on that honesty is the best policy!

Most memorable moment on my bike: Thanksgiving Day, hubby and I are out on the trail come around a bend and see a mountain lion just up ahead. Very surreal.....he didn't seem to care we were there, but we sure cared that he was there!

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every ride has been fun so far!
    Vickie

Where do you live? Santa Rosa, CA

Explanation of your handle: It’s just my name, I can never come up with a creative and appropriate handle.

Explanation of your avatar: None, see above answer.

Age (general or specific) 36

Favorite bike: Columbines sure are beautiful, but I don't own one yet.

What's in your stable? A) Trek 2200; B) Some old road style Trek my husband and I built up as a commute bike, I have no idea what model it is as we had to paint over some AWFUL “pink granite” type paint job; C) a Specialized Stumpjumper, circa 1994-1995

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? On a tandem we hit 55 coming down the Marshall Wall in West Marin. On my single bike the highest I’ve seen is 34.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Don’t have them, nobody I know carries a camera when we ride.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: “I’m doing fine, that climb wasn’t too hard”

Most fun ever had on a bike? A weeklong self designed tour of the Big Island, the week after the last total solar eclipse in Hawaii.

Where do you live? Cheshire, UK

Explanation of your handle: A friendly abbreviation of my name.

Explanation of your avatar: When I've done my 10 posts, it will show my road bike

Age (general or specific): 48

Occupation: Service Receptionist at local garage, although I'm a trained beauty therapist

Favorite bike: Giant 100 once and DeRosa King (drool)

What's in your stable? Giant OCR 2 (2001!) Road. Aluminium home built Mountain bike.

Fastest speed on a road bike? 24.5mph I don't do speed <wimp> :-(

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Pictures of me and mine here

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "Please, just one little dog is all I want" (see my web site for what we got, both on the same day!)

Most memorable moment on my bike: Having cyclocross levers fitted to my road bike, until this I couldn't reach the brake levers and was terrified of the bike, it stayed in the garage for 2 whole years! Now I can't stay off it :-)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Cycling/camping holiday on the Isle of Wight. I agreed to it because it's just off the south coast, and the south coast is flat.. Hmmm Isle of Wight is a hilly island just off the south coast LOL Boosted my cycling fitness and technique no end :-D

Getting to know you...

Where do you live? Mandan, North Dakota

Explanation of your handle: hmm... good question...

Explanation of your avatar: Don't know...

Age (general or specific) 21

Favorite bike: Road....hmmm. 2005 Specialized S-Works Tarmac E5 with Dura-Ace
    Mountain... I do like Moots... and the 2004 Specialized womens specific Epic...or the new 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro... with CrossMax Rims...mmm... those are pretty sweet...

What's in your stable? 2003 Specialized Rockhopper...

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? hmm on a road bike .. i suppose 35 - 40... mountain bike.. about the same... i am not that much of a roadie...

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Will have to find one..

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Too many.. come on .. i am still a college student....

Most memorable moment on my bike: Summer times...spending time with the guys from the shop.... going on some singletrack along the river in Bismarck.. then taking a dip in the river with the guys.... ;-)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Maah Daah Hey with 8 other guys and myself... They were all good looking and good riders.... 30 miles of pure hell... but it was worth it in the end... sharing a water pump to wash up.... then seeing a few naked bodies of the guys.. hahaha..

Getting to know you

Where do you live? Orange County, California

Explanation of your handle: Just my name and initial

Explanation of your avatar: Haven't done one yet!

Age (general or specific): 46.95

Occupation: Displaced Technology Worker ("my job went to India and all I got was this lousy pink slip")

Favorite bike: My current one (Carolina)

What's in your stable? DiamondBack Carolina with smooth tires

Fastest speed on a road bike? Probably around 38-42 on a very steep and carfree road...so scared I couldn't retain the exact number

Another picture of yourself or your ride? That's an 8500 year old grave marker in county Clare in west Ireland, and me.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "I'm over him."

Most memorable moment on my bike: Cycling holiday in Ireland in July 2004

Most fun ever had on a bike? Definitely the Ireland trip! Great company, great tour! Check out: http://www.cyclingsafaris.com/
    (that's my plug for the tour company) :-)
    Last edited by VickiK; 01-11-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Getting to know you

Where do you live? Seattle area, Washington state

Explanation of your handle: a friend (also a LBS owner) tagged me with it a few years ago and the nickname: QFC! stuck to me instantly ...remember the ol' nursery rhyme? Mary, Mary...
    Quite F*****g Contrary (insert your adverb of choice!)

Explanation of your avatar: none yet

Age (general or specific): been getting the AARP membership letters for over a year now ~ in other words, the nifty side of 50!

Favorite bike: I stopped drooling for it and got it last season:
    a Seven Elium!

What's in your stable? Seven Elium, Campy Record, Rolf Elan - love having ti/carbon under me! Also, a Custom Rodriguez (Seattle frame-builder) steel, Shimano 105s and a Bianchi Volpe for commuting w/full fenders and rack.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? exceeded 50mph while on 2000 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride and bested it the next year on the 2001 Montana AIDS Vaccine Ride; about a 10 mile stretch of road after a long, hot, windy day; enjoyed the heck outta the whooping with joy downhill between Virginia City and Ennis, MT - 52.3 still is all-time max.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not on bike, but enjoying the final leg of a 1000 mile ride from Seattle to San Francisco; this was taken at Roche Winery on the Carneros Hwy in Sonoma, morning rest stop in tasting room! I'm the grinning rider in front as we were headed over the GG bridge and up to UCSF campus to finish that afternoon. Lovely estate wines there by the way!

http://www.rideforareason.org/brimag...20stop%20c.jpg

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "oh, I'm sure you're OK; don't worry, you'll be fine" (told to a riding buddy while she was shivering, w/blue lips - hypothermic on Flesher Pass in freezing, sleeting Montana weather; trying to warm her with our bodies while waiting for sag vehicle to arrive). The doc kept her off the road and on IV for 2 days, then she really was fine again.

Most memorable moment on my bike: oh, too many to list; I've been very, very lucky to have enjoyed some amazing cycling adventures.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Whereever my last ride was and looking forward to the next one; in other words, it's a blast most every time!

Where do you live, Westminster, Colorado

Explanation of your handle: Snowy-Umh I had to think of a word at work besides Frosty so thats where snowy came from. Real original I know.

Explanation of your avatar: avatar??....you mean I could have an avatar??

Age (general or specific) 30.

Favorite bike: Specialized Dolice Elite.

What's in your stable? Trek 400 gosh, I think its ten years old but just got it out of the shop and she looks real pretty!!!

Fastest speed on a road bike? Nothing yet. Haven't started riding yet.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I'll have to get back to you on this one.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can't stand to lie, I feel weird. I couldn't tell you when the last time it was.

Most memorable moment on my bike: I love this story cause most of my bike riding life I have always rode with boys. One day I went riding with an ex and his friend. Come to find out his friend was a pro-snow boarder and I kicked his butt all over the place. He was very interested in me after that.

Most fun ever had on a bike? I think for me thats everyday!!! I just love to ride.

Where do you live? Bethlehem,PA
    Explanation of your handle: I have always been the most fixy of my family(yes oftem more than dad). I learned mostly from my electrical engineer and do it yourself dad, then it branched into bikes and now I am almost certified for aircraft mechanics, YAY.

Explanation of your avatar: Well, thas me
    Age Turned 21 on xmas
    Favorite bike: 1992 Giant Sedona
    What's in your stable? Giant Sedona, Giant XTC se, Trek 400 and several odd low level ones.
    Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? On the roadie I'm a little more cautious, so Id say 39mph on the local big hill.
    On the Sedona(which I added hydraulic brakes) 47.7 on the big descent back on the island(I grew up on Guam)

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can't remember, which means I've either told too many, or I don't lie! (I'll let ya'll pick!)

Most memorable moment on my bike:
    That's a hard one, since I avg several kmi a year and do quite a few events. There is no thrill like the first XC race.The first XC race after a season off was almost on par. Racing is just a part of me, I feel wierd without it.

Most fun ever had on a bike?
    If not in a race, it would be anytime I am exploring. I love the long summer evenings when after dinner rides can be long and relaxing. The kind of rides when I come home and have dinner and keep going on and on because I need to find the way home! The best ones last until midnight or so, and involve periodical stops with local stores or gas stations for refuels. Mini journeys, to forget normal and just ride. Where mileage is not a concern because it will be near 35-40 miles just getting back home. Those are fun.
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

Where do you live? Manhattan, NY

Explanation of your handle: I heard somewhere that missionaries in Africa (sometime ago) had the first bicycle in a certain area, and the locals didn't know what it was but called it the horse with round legs. I liked the idea of bike=horse as a mode of transport, but that name was too long. Then I found an Iron Horse mountain bike to fit me, and viola - IronHorse. 213 is the number of the house I grew up in. We always read it as 2, 13 not two hundred thirteen.

Explanation of your avatar: n/a

Age (general or specific) 47 going on 12!

Favorite bike: would love the 'Specialized Dolce, but a Bianchi recently caught my eye....

What's in your stable? An Iron Horse MTn bike and a VERY old Panasonic road bike (soon to be given away to under priveledged kid)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I'm not a speed demon, so 20mph down hill on the NYC Greenpath

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have very many pixs of myself - I hate having my pix taken

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Ah, that I feel fine the day after my first workout of the year!

Most memorable moment on my bike: Anytime I'm just sailing along with out distraction!

Most fun ever had on a bike? the first time I sailed through the "rough spots" of my usual ride!
    I just love turning the round legs of my Iron Horse!