Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 175 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

another one

To disable ads, please log-in.

Where do you live? Lincoln, Nebraska.

Explanation of your handle: At one time I was thinking of legally changing my name to Mom - what with all my kids friends calling me that, and all - and I spend as much time as I can on my bike.

Explanation of your avatar: I'm lazy and I haven't gotten around to finding/creating one yet

Age (general or specific): Late 40's.

Favorite bike: The one I'm on at the moment. (I can be fickle)

What's in your stable? Walter, the 1978 Raleigh 10-speed (he needs some repair work, poor baby)
    William, the new Sun EZ Sport recumbent.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 34 or so coming down a nice hill by Nebraska City on Walter. We were coming home from a 2-day mini tour and I had full panniers on at the time. I probably should have been scared, as the cross wind was giving the ride some zest, but I have a pretty high guts/brains ratio.
    I have hopes of finding a faster hill with William some day soon.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Some recent ones are at:
    http://lincolndietrichs.org/mopac1.html

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: That's classified.

Most memorable moment on my bike:
    Is this a test?
    OK, either it was the moment I realized that I could go 'most anywhere on a bike, so maybe I should.
    OR it was the time I decided to combine bicycling and walking my doberman. (That guts/brains ratio, again. It worked for us, but don't try it yourself) After that we went many happy/exploratory miles together.
    OR my Dad giving me freedom by showing my snotty pre-teen self how to fix a flat - the job needed a wrench or two back then.
    OR the time DH & I were riding along talking, and I got a mouthful of used spider web. DH says he's never heard me make THAT combination of sounds before or since.
    OR my wobbly first ride home on William. I really wanted to ride him home from the bike shop, so I did.
    So many choices...

Most fun ever had on a bike?
    Muliple choice again...
    That glorious summer that my friends & I spent going to summer school & taking the long way home (from driver's ed.).
    OR a certain fall ride just as the foiliage was at its explosive finest.
    OR the afore-mentioned mini-tour with DH.
    OR the ride I'm on at the moment (I said I could be fickle.) Actually I'm not riding at all for a while, not while there is a layer of ice on everything.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Where do you live? New Zealand, although I'm off to the UK on a working holiday soon.

Explanation of your handle: Well, the kiwi part should make sense now that you know I'm from NZ. The tl stems, in a round about way, from an old nickname.

Explanation of your avatar: When I've posted enough to be able to choose my own avatar, I have a nice silver fern to put up. Or I might choose something different...

Occupation: Primary teacher (that's elementary school, for those of you that don't speak any language other than American).

Favorite bike: I'm only just getting into this whole biking other than just to get from A to B thing, so I really haven't ridden enough bikes to have formed an opinion.

What's in your stable? 2004 Mongoose Rockadile AL. An entry level bike, but it does what I need and I got a good deal.

Fastest speed on a road bike? Where? When? So far, I'm much more into biking where getting dirty is kinda the point...

Another picture of yourself or your ride? No pics of me, but you can see my bike here, although mine is smaller than that one; I'm only 160cm tall (5'3").

What is the biggest lie you've ever told? Do I have to pick just one? Nah - I don't really go for flat out lying, but I'm a pro when it comes to leaving out parts of the truth I'd rather other folks didn't know.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Well, that very first time I rode without training wheels was pretty darned kewl...

Most fun ever had on a bike: Dunno that I have one particular moment, but I always really enjoy the small triumphs. You know, getting to the top of Hell Hill without having to dismount, not geting stranded in The Sandpit of Doom, forgetting which exact roots actually were The Treeroots of Death the first several times I went over them.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 01-06-2005 at 01:34 AM.

Where do you live? UK, but shortly about to move to New Zealand!

Explanation of your handle: Second passion in life is photography - first passion is being on a bike with a camera in my backpack!

Explanation of your avatar: Thought it summed me up!

Occupation: Work at a university, doing administrative stuff, but only have 16 more weeks to go - wahay!!

Favorite bike: Made the fatal mistake of checking out the sale at the lbs - now have a brand new litespeed in the garage, which I haven't had chance to take out for a proper spin yet

What's in your stable? 7 bikes in all - 4 belong to me! Litespeed, Raleigh Ride 300 (hybrid), custom built road bike (local frame builder) and a Diamond Back M10 (won in a prize draw a month ago).

Fastest speed on a road bike? 64 mph when out on a pootle.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Better behind the camera than in front of it.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told? See above question regarding fastest speed!

Most memorable moment on my bike: Riding my Raleigh chopper at the age of 7, with the wind whistling past my ears, and feeling my heart & soul so full I thought they'd burst (also had the tune to ELO's "Mr Blue Sky" in my head, for some reason!). Halcyon days.

Most fun ever had on a bike: Cycling at top speed down the highway from the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausaulito.
    Life is Good!

--> Alice

Where do you live?:
    --> Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Explanation of your handle:

--> well, that's because my name is Alice.

Explanation of your avatar:
    ---> i don't have an avatar :P

Age (general or specific):
    --> i'm 21

--> University (new media major), graphic/multimedia designer

Favorite bike:
    --> my kona hahanna bike that my boyfriend custom made for me

What's in your stable?
    --> my kona

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?:
    --> never tried cycling on a road bike

Another picture of yourself or your ride?
    --> i don't have any

What is the biggest lie you've ever told:
    --> I don't lie.

--> i guess when i first learned to ride a bike without training wheels...at the age of 16. i know, i'm a loser.

Most fun ever had on a bike?:
    --> um. well, riding my bike around downtown toronto at night. I got to know the city much better that way. I enjoyed riding down to the harborfront, watching the boats and listening to the waters.
    Last edited by *Alice; 01-06-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Where do you live? rural Orange County, North Carolina

Explanation of your handle: that's pretty obvious!

Explanation of your avatar: My beloved Aegis Swift
    Age (general or specific) 43

Favorite bike: can't decide between my Aegis Swift and my Bike Friday. Love 'em both!

What's in your stable? carbon Aegis Swift (go-fast bike), Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe (touring and tooling around bike), Terry Isis (trainer bike)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? ~50 mph on a tandem - years ago.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? There are plenty on my tour web site:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~emilys7/b..._2004_main.htm

Most memorable moment on my bike: Whizzing by other cyclists at the Seagull Century in 2003 on a fast tandem with my husband. We no longer own it, but it was a rush!

Most fun I've ever had on my bike: I've racked my brain and just can't come up with one specific ride or event that was the "most fun". Those special times riding along when the temperature is in the 70s to low 80s, the sun is shining, the road tilts gently downhill, there's no traffic, and the wind is at my back are the most fun I've ever had on a bike. Wheeeeeeeee!

Thanks for starting this thread, Corsair!

Where do you live? Davis, CA (when I moved here in 19um-er, bikes outnumbered humanoids)

Explanation of your handle: My dad calls me Sadie Kate Leech for Sarah Catherine and because, as a newborn, my grip on shirts was unbreakable

Explanation of your avatar: Ditto the comment that “I'm lazy and I haven't gotten around to finding/creating one yet” See? Can’t even create my own answer.

Age (general or specific): Physically, 45. Mentally? I refuse to answer the last. I’d have to lie.

Occupation: Paying homage to the paycheck gods so that my biking/flyfishing/knitting habits can be supported. Rehab for this is too frightening to be considered, so I spend lots of time in prayer.

Favorite bike: Toss up . . . the one I’m on or the cleanest

What's in your stable? I’m embarrassed but . . . Tandem: Lippy, Dirt: Titus, Litespeed and Marin; Town: Bob Jackson and Kelly; Road: Mercian and Litespeed (We’re DINKs and all vacations are spent fishing or biking, what can I say?)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 48 on a single going down Howell Mountain into the Napa Valley. 60-god-knows-what on the tandem going down some hill into Napa, hit a steel-decked bridge and learned to fly. Thank goodness our balance is good on the thing and Bubba is an excellent captain.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? This is the last mtb trip we took in southern Utah. Some of them are a bit repetitive but we had a lot of thunderstorms which means you focus on riding and not picture taking. Proud to say that all the boys wanted my “Ride Like a Girl” socks at the end. See if you can guess which one is me.
    Utah trip

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Me? Lie?

Most memorable moment on my bike: Too numerous to pick one. After 4 knee operations in my early 20s and recent diagnosis of MS, every one can be special (I am such a sap – I cry over everything).

Most fun ever had on a bike? Anytime I am with my sweetie

Lisa

Where do you live?
    California

My husband says that I’m two different people on and off the bike. Off the bike I’m cautious and I am not much of a thrill seeker. But when I’m on my mountain bike, I’m adventurous and I don’t worry about getting muddy! He named the mountain biker personae “Adventure Girl”.

Well… Life is good!! Especially when you’re on your bike!

Age (general or specific)
    Generally… Old enough!

Estimator

Favorite bike:
    It wouldn’t be nice to show favoritism!

What's in your stable?
    1960’s Orange Cruiser
    Specialized Rock Hopper (hard tail mountain bike)
    Santa Cruz Superlight (dual suspension mountain bike)
    Mongoose IBOC Comp (commuter)
    Trek 5200WSD (road bike)
    1973 Schwinn Fair Lady Stingray

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
    41.8 mph
    Monterey, California.
    Tightly tucked, with the wind, big ring, cranking hard!
    And my odometer had just been recalibrated.

How’s this one?

N/A

My first 24-hour endurance race. I loved ever second of it—even racing alone at 2:00 in the morning!

Commemorative Immigrant Trail out of Truckee, California. It’s like a roller coaster for miles! I rode it with my husband and my cousin and it was as close to a perfect ride as I have had! This is why I ride!

Where do you live? Downers Grove, IL

Explanation of your handle: My favorite visitor at the back porch feeder.

Explanation of your avatar: Haven't got one yet but I'm working on it!

Age (general or specific) 48

Favorite bike: So many choices... I'd sure like to try a Giant OCR

What's in your stable? My trusty Giant Cypress DX.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 26 mph (I broke the speed limit!!!) down a long hill just off the municipal bike path this past summer on ol' trusty.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Me (in orange) at the Tour de Cure.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: That I could speak French...HA!

Most memorable moment on my bike: Just about every time I go out, I am surprised again at what a wonderful, meditative, renewing experience it is to ride. It gives me such a sense of strength and freedom - something sorely missed as a parent with kids still at home!

Most fun ever had on a bike? Giving mountain biking a try and not falling off the mountain! I never knew biking could be so three-dimensional!

Kim

Where do you live?
    Tucson

No kids, only dogs. Used to show in competitive obedience.

Isn't it pretty?

Age (general or specific)
    Just celebrated the 21st anniversary of my 29th birthday.

Business manager

Favorite bike:
    Anything with two wheels

What's in your stable?
    Custom road bike - Gilmour
    F/S Sugar 3 mtb

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
    45 mph on a steep downhill. Put any ride at Disneyland to shame.

Yup, one of these days I'll get me a fancy camera thing...

"It's no problem at all"

Too many to list here

Chasing tandems.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Where do you live? BC Canada, for the next 11 months, then back home to Melbourne, Australia

Explanation of your handle: My boyfriend reacons I squeek when I get a thrill from skiing and biking...

Explanation of your avatar: it's new! Me hiking Wilsons Promontory

Age (general or specific) 24

Favorite bike: Avanti Team Compeditor 05

What's in your stable? Scott Yecora with about 30% of it's original specs.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Was on a mtb, last decent down to the car on a trail called "Hit the Wall". Fireroad that decends for about 10km, hit 60km/h.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I have no pics with my on my lap top....*looking onling*...... That's a better shot

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: "No, there's no bike in that bag", and I avoided the $65 fee, hehehehehe

Most memorable moment on my bike: Conquering an 45degree off camber hairpin turn around a gum tree at the Dirt Crits!! Woohoo!!!!

Most fun ever had on a bike? Riding our weekly Kone Dirt Crits back home in Melbourne....I'm missing then right now
    Last edited by SnowMouse; 01-07-2005 at 04:36 PM.
    Warning: rider may fall at any time without notice.

Where do you live? San Jose, CA

Explanation of your handle: S is my first initial and Linke (pronounces linkee) is my maiden name. Slinke was my nick for a long long time, and then when Toy Story came out, my husband (then finacee) started calling me Slinkedog.

Explanation of your avatar: none

Favorite bike: Like the Trek Madone, but I'm not all that well versed on bikes

What's in your stable? Specialized Roubaix Elite with all the stock stuff and a computer.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Not sure how fast, but pretty darn fast down a hill on a tandem with my husband driving and me stoking on our honeymoon in Port Townsend, Washington. Since I got a bike of my own with a computer... downhill by my house about 30 mph. I'm a wuss.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have any yet

Biggest lie you ever told: I'm sure I've told some whoppers, but I try really hard not to lie anymore.

Most memorable moment on my bike: The above mentioned whilwind tour of Port Townsend on a rented tandem.

Most fun I've ever had on my bike: Any time riding with my husband... especially on our anniversary trip this summer to Napa.
    Last edited by slinkedog; 01-07-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Where do you live? North Andover, Massachusetts

Explanation of your handle: I guess I don't have a great imagination - my handle is my name!

Explanation of your avatar: Hey - that's me!

Occupation: QA & Product management, high tech industry. Can you believe that I get paid to break things? (Software, that is!)

Favorite bike: Of course I love all of my bikes - can't pick a favorite because they have different purposes.

What's in your stable? a Peter Mooney touring bike, a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket set up as a road bike, and a Bike Friday Air Glide set up as a touring bike.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 42 mph, riding through the hills near my parents house, south of the Adirondacks in upstate New York

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Here's a favorite of me in Wyoming on my cross-country trip back in 2002.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Not a clue! Telling lies isn't something I do very well...

Most memorable moment on my bike: Wow, it's really hard to choose. But I think the most memorable moments for me were the doors that opened to me on my cross-country trip because I was traveling alone on my bike. I met all sorts of people on the road - my loaded bike was an introduction, and between the bike and my own smiles and willingness to talk with perfect strangers, it was a wonderful time! And not only were people there to talk to, they were also there to offer advice, invite me to pitch my tent in their yard, and - well, you get the picture... (If that whets your curiosity, you can read more about my cross-country trip.)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Again, impossible to choose. I love the freedom of wandering by bike.
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 01-07-2005 at 08:20 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Where do you live? Union City CA

Explanation of your handle: My husband & I & a bunch of friends used to attend a kitemakers’ workshop in Middle-of-Nowhere Texas (Junction, to be exact) every year. To get into the spirt of things we gave each other texas-style nicknames – hubby was LeeBob, friends were EddieBob, BonnieBob and ScottieBob, and of course I was JoBob. It’s also a homage to Joe Bob Briggs, a movie reviewer known for the line “Joe Bob says check it out!”

Explanation of your avatar: I like the training wheels... I consider myself a perpetual newbie, there’s always something new to learn!

Age (general or specific) 45

Favorite bike(s): anything by Rivendell. And the gorgeous lugged steel creations by Columbine and Vanilla and their ilk.

What's in your stable? A Riv Romulus (Pokey) and a pre-owned Waterford era Riv Road (Dusty).

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I did 38 once going down a long straight smooth hill where there was no hint of a car for at least a mile.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Chrismas Day at the Pulgas Water Temple on Cañada Road in Woodside, with my trusty Dusty.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: uh...

Most memorable moment on my bike: As in, near-death-experience memorable?? That would be the time I was on a club ride and we were going down a nice smooth grade and I was feelin’ good and picking up speed, and next thing I knew I was entering a bend which was much much sharper than I expected. Luckily it was banked well and I had room to maneuver because I negociated that bend at about 30 mph ! Darned if I know how I managed to keep control, it was such a rush when I realized I was going to survive, but I don’t plan to relive that experience anytime soon!

Most fun ever had on a bike? First time I descended from the top of Mt. Diablo. We were faster than the cars going down. Wheee!
    Last edited by jobob; 01-08-2005 at 08:11 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Where do you live? Giebelstadt, Germany

Explanation of your handle: My husband is a helicopter pilot, UH-60 Blackhawk. Thunderduck is a Vietnam call sign. Thunderduck60 is our email address. When I signed up I just put down the first thing that came to mind.

Explanation of your avatar: avatar? I'll get one someday.

Age (general or specific): 29

Favorite bike: Right now it is anything that gets me on a trail.

What's in your stable? Specialized Stumpjumper FRS

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Don't know

Another picture of yourself or your ride? my ride

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Told my mom I was going shopping when I really went to an Army Recruiter. I don't regrete it since I loved every bit of my time in the service.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Jumping a ramp that my husband and his buddy built. They were so proud of me. It is only about 2 1/2 feet high but it felt like 10. It really raised my confindence for future riding.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Riding around the mountains of the Black Forest, Germany with my husband, our son, and some close friends of ours who also had their daughter. The weather was beautiful and our kids, 12 and 18 months, were on their best behaviors.[COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue]
    Last edited by T-Duck60; 01-07-2005 at 09:43 PM.

Where do you live? Kinross near Perth in Scotland

Explanation of your handle: duh!
    Explanation of your avatar: My eldest son chose, he said it was me!! ( I am not a Simpson fan. I cant stand them)
    Age (general or specific) 47 on Dec 9th
    Favorite bike: I would love a Trek madone 5.9 (dream on)
    What's in your stable? Claude Butler, San Remo (Road bike) and Carrera, Kraken (mtb). Hubby also has two bikes
    Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 35.8, Going downhill on a local ride (it was a big hill)
    Another picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have any, but I got a digital camera for Christmas, so maybe soon. (how do you post photo's anyway? I don't have a website))

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm with corsairmac on this one

Most memorable moment on my bike: So far just getting up some of the horrible hills we have round here without getting off and walking.
    Most fun ever had on a bike? That's a hard one! I just enjoy getting out on my bike especially on a warm sunny day. I do enjoy going downhill though.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades. - Eddy Merckx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8926098@N05/