Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 175 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by loni0908k
    Just got my Cannondale mountain bike this week, and can't wait to overcome some fears on the trails in Kettle Moraine, WI.
    All you need to do is just to do it

Welcome to the group ... if you are looking for a great road ride "Pedal the Kettle" is an outstanding ride. Not to mention terrific training for riding those 'rollers' - a beautiful part of the state!
    On Yer Bike!

*waves madly*

Hi!!
    I introduced myself too!!

Welcome Road Raven and Loni!

checking in..

Where do you live? Birmingham, Alabama

Explanation of your handle: She who bikes. Nuff said.

Explanation of your avatar: First image I found on google.

Age (general or specific) Just turned 49. Intend to stay there.

Favorite bike: Shhhh, can't tell them there's a favorite.

What's in your stable? An '04 Gary Fisher Big Sur and an '04 Cannondale SR800.

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 36.5 mph down a hill at a local state park. First time I did it I went 31.5 and didn't kill myself, so I'm working on feathering the brakes less and less to get to 40. I firmly believe that downhills count. On the flats, I'd say about 26 mph, hauling heiny.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: No, I dont' mind at all. (Maybe not the biggest, but probably the most frequent.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Well, there's memorable both good and bad. Good? Probably just finishing my first group ride; it was a great start. Or maybe breaking my speed record on that hill with a big grin. Bad? Probably the day I was trying clipless for the 2nd day, couldn't clip out and fell over hard at a 3-way stop. Bounced the back of my head on the pavement (yay for strong helmets) and passengers of all 3 cars jumped out asking "Are you OK?" Yeah, only hurt my pride...

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every time I go out on my road bike I have more fun than the last ride.

Love this board. You ladies are the best!!!

see how handy this thread is?.....I always thought your handle was Shew Hobikes! Thought it was some kind of AL thing! I'm not kidding either, in my mind I've always called you Shew! ROFL.......man ya learn sumpin new every day on this here board!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    I always thought your handle was Shew Hobikes! Thought it was some kind of AL thing!!
    That's so funny!!!! I was doing the same thing for so long - reading "shew" like "show" and wondering what "hobikes" meant. Was she showing those "ho" bikes a thing or two? Then finally the penny dropped and I felt like a moron!!! HAAAHAA! It's a great handle - how could I have gotten it so wrong? Now I'm really worried about myself.

Where do you live? Pembroke Pines, Florida (just south of Ft Lauderdale)

Explanation of your handle: The trails can be a bit "rooty" down here in the Glades, I have a full suspension MTB & my fiance has a hardtail (a little rough on the bum) It is something I say while I glide over the bumps as he is grimacing.

Explanation of your avatar: Still working on that

Age (general or specific): too old to be asked, too young to care...just something I like to say in order to avoid the question...but really 34

Occupation: Digital Image Designer (fancy name for Photoshop guru)

Favorite bike: My first real MTBike...the obsession begins A birthday present from my fiance after just a month of dating.

What's in your stable? Santa Cruz SL Juliana & soon a road bike (still deciding...which is what brought me to this wonderful forum in the first place!)

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Don't have a road bike yet...but about 5 or 8 on my fiance's which is twice too big for me. 28 on a MTBike.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? working on that too...

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm fine!

Most memorable moment on my bike: I traded my pink Huffy for a beautiful blue 12 speed Schwinn (this was YEARS ago) and rode as fast as I could through the streets of my neighborhood, through the park, back to the fire roads over this jump I had done many, many times before on my trusty Huffy...Let's just say road wheels were not made for jumping. I guess I am a true trail rider at heart. Although, I am very excited to experience road riding!

Most fun ever had on a bike? When my fiance, then "just dating", realized I loved to ride...I knew that I had him hooked! Now if I could just do a wheelie!

Thanks everybody for the nice welcome! This website is an incredible find and I've learned a lot already!
    Biking Chick - I definitely plan on "just doing it", and can't wait to start!
    Nuthatch - I just recently moved to Illinois from Wisconsin, and although WI is a nice place to ride, I am LOVING Illinois and all of the rides are a fun way to keep pushing myself further! I think that I'm going to sign up for the Arlington 500 (although it's truly only 68 miles - not 500) next!

Welcome

WElcome to the board bouncy - Loved that handle! Tigger kept popping into my head! Sounds like ya'll got the biking bug hun - *sigh* the only known cure is to get out and ride!!.....hope to hear more from ya!!

and loni: I'm SOOOO glad you clarified the Arlington 500 wasn't really 500...I was already to start worrying about someone new to riding tackling a 500 mile ride!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Shew Hobikes?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

*runs away before Corsair or nuthatch give me a dead arm for laughing at 'em*

Transplanted to a state of beer: Latrobe-Pittsburgh

As backwards0.

Where do you live? Between Latrobe-Pittsburgh, PA

Explanation of your handle: What happens when I guess nervous on the road.
    Explanation of your avatar: avatar??....you mean I could have an avatar??

Age (general or specific): 35+

Favorite bike: my cousins pink Huffy

What's in your stable? Schwinn LL Bean Acadia Cruser

Fastest speed on a bike? where? when? 8.9, Eliza Furnace Trail, April16'05.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? I'm not in the camera..I'm behind it...A lil Bean

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I don't..my memories bad enough keeping the truth. Why muddle with lies.

Most memorable moment on my bike: that five mile ride on the Eliza Furnace trail that took me an hour due to the steep hill I had to hike.

Most fun ever had on a bike? a) at 10 yrs young, teaching myself to ride on my sisters bike that collected dust for three years in the foyer b) my first day commuting 2.5 miles to work in 7 mins during morning rush hour; and passing my sister and brother-in-law w/family in their SUV c) completing the five miles on the Eliza Furnace trail. Did I tell you I FINISHED the ride? Thank goodness for Power Bars! Now if they can get on the 'cookie cutter' trail with Cliffs I'll be happy.

Hi all, another newbie here. Except for some recreational rides, and three short-range triathlons about ten years ago, I have been out of biking until just recently. It didn't take too many miles to remember what I always loved about it.

Where do you live? West Milwaukee, WI

Explanation of your handle : Initials and beginning of last name

Explanation of your avatar : I'll get around to having one someday.

Age (general or specific) : Will be 45 this summer

Favorite Bike : My new Trek 2100

What's in your stable : Trek 2100, Old Bianchi (Around 1990), Timberlin Hybrid (Passed that down to my husband...it was one of my excuses to get a new bike)

Fastest speed on a road bike : Can't remember from my old biking days. With the new bike probably not much over 30mph....too many spring potholes and loose gravel around here to trust going much faster.

Another picture of yourself or your ride ? I like taking pictures, not being in them

What is the biggest lie you've ever told : Well.... the latest wasn't really a lie... I just didn't bother to correct my husband when he assumed that I spend around $300 on my bike. He's pretty much learned that if he probably doesn't really want to know the answer, he won't ask a direct question.

Most memorable moment on a bike? Quite a few years ago, I was about 5 miles into the 2nd day of a 2-Day 150 mile bike club ride when I took a left turn at the bottom of a long steep downhill, of course I hit a patch of gravel and ended up skidding through the intersection on my thigh. I wrapped it up with a towel and kept riding. It took a long time for the scars to go away and I still have a few black dots that show through my leg from gravel that I failed to clean out.

Most fun ever on a bike? Everytime I go out now I feel like I never want to stop, so I'm sure my most fun is yet to come. I have plans to do some great rides this summer.

I'm so lucky that my daughter's boyfriend is a mechanic at my LBS. With my new biking obsession it's better than having a doctor in the family. Luckily, he still has at least another year of college, so he won't be moving off to another career too soon. We drive my daughter nuts when we get into long bike gear discussions.

welcome to the board Jes and SJ. Nice to meet ya!....hope you have as much fun as we all obviously do and hope to see more of ya!

TL: I can't fault ya for laughing at me - can't ya just imagine my face when I read what Shews handle Really was?? I was laughing so hard I got the dogs all excited and the cats woke up!! *shaking head at self*

Where do you live? Spokane, WA - Northside

Explanation of your handle: Like I said, "I aint a chick no more". But I'm a hen that's finally hitting her stride. Maybe life DOES begin at 50?!

Explanation of your avatar: When I find a pic to cover my passion for air cooled VW vans, quilting and now biking, I will be all over the avatar thing!

Age (general or specific) 49 and holding till Jan. 2006

Occupation: My own Longarm machine quilting biz, maker of quilts, quilting instructor, and retail slave two days a week at a local quilt store.

Favorite bike: I guess that would be my Giant Sedona, gasp!, Comfort Bike

What's in your stable? '66 VW Van, '72 VW Van, '73 VW Van, '70 VW Karman Ghia and '68 VW Bug. Oh! Did you mean bikes? Well, that would be my afore mentioned Giant Sedona Comfort Bike. OK, DH has a Diamondback Comfort Bike and the 20 something daughter an older Giant MTB?

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 30 MPH, downhill on my 5AM ride. Very few cars, and I can have a whole lane to myself.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have any . . . yet!

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'll have to take the 5th on this one.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Just the other day, my 20 something daughter and I were on our daily ride. I passed her going up a hill, on the way home and I still had enough breath left to gloat!

Most fun ever had on a bike? DH and I spent just about every Sunday last summer on the local Centennial Trail or Trail of the Coeur d' Alene. We had a great time. We even hit a new low by getting a kids trailer and bringing our two little dogs along with us. We sure made alot of people smile!

Welcome Tu, Sue, and BikerHen!!

I believe we might have enough midwesterners to organize a ride like the Amici Veloce team! SJCzar, Biking Chick, Loni...I'm up for it!!