Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about coming to Canada!

To disable ads, please log-in.

BF and I have our hearts set on working overseas for a year. Canada is the place we both agree on the most.

SOOOOOO... Ladies I need some help and information about living in the maple leaf country.

We're looking at Vancover and Toronto because there the places where the most information is readily availiable- but we're open to suggestions really.

There's a LOT of questions here.

1: Climate - Like how many days a year does the sun rise after 7am??? 8am??? How on earth do you ride in winter?? Does it snow everywhere in winter?? Just how freaking cold does it get there exactly???

2: Living - Rent? How much does a 2 bedroom apartment/house etc go for round there? Food? How much did it cost for a carton of milk, a loaf of bread and block of chocolate last time you bought them??? Can we get by on our bikes and public transport, then by hiring a car to tour around the countryside?

3: TRIATHLONS AND BIKE RACING! BF is adamant to continue bike racing. I would like to continue triathlon (although I know I'll have to invest in a wetsuit) So what are the governing bodies and are "tourists" allowed to compete?? Would you reccommend a particular "annual" ride (road race or just for fun) or particular triathlon to do while we're there??

4: ICE SKATING. As a kid I loved my rollerblades and I've enjoyed watching a whole heap of daytime telemovies about iceskating in northern america - Just how easy is it to find an iceskating rink?

5: If you could name one place to visit in Canada - Where would it be and why?

6: Which Airline would you reccommend? BF and I would probably fly Qantas to get there, but once we're there we'd be on connecting flights - So who do you fly with domestically?

Please help me out with your opinions, BF and I are only in the planing stages and it'll probably well over 18months before we'd get there but the ideas set in our heads now and it's time to research. We'd love to know more about what it's like there.

Huge thanks in Advance!
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Weeeeeellll, if you really want to bike year round, you need to go to Vancouver rather than Toronto because although it rains a lot in Vancouver, Toronto is much colder and has a lot of snow.

Here's a link to Vancouver weather and climate info.
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0308

Vancouver hovers around zero in the dead of winter, probably between 1-10C in the day and below freezing in the night in parts of Dec/Jan. If you have fenders and don't mind rain, you can ride most days.

Vancouver is a big city so there a lots of races around, plus you can always pop into the Okanagan and do the Apple Tri in Kelowna or the IM in Penticton. PM Grog and she can probably tell you lots about cycling races in Vancouver. Plus you can google it too.

Vancouver is also expensive for accommodation - google rental prices to get an idea. Of course, you don't have to live right IN Vancouver, the suburbs are slightly cheaper and often safer. Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surry, North Delta, Richmond... Some are more expensive than others.

What are planning to do for work? That would be a big determinant for where you want to live. There is a pretty good bus system and light rapid transit in much of the greater Van. area too.

There's a starbucks and an indoor ice rink on every corner. This IS Canada eh...

I'll go look at my last grocery bill and get back to you on food prices.
    Last edited by kelownagirl; 11-06-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Have you considered Vernon in the Okanagan valley of BC? World class skiing, fabulous road biking, good mountain biking, nice hot summers, reasonable winters....

I have not lived in Vancouver and I've never been to Toronto...but Toronto has brutally cold winters, while Vancouver has a rainy season. I know quite a few people who ride all year in Vancouver, but you have to not mind the rain. I know a few people who ride all year in Vernon, but they don't mind riding in a bit of snow now and again....

How exciting to be making such plans!! Best of luck with your decisions!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

From my last bill:

2 litres 1% milk $2.39
    1 large loaf wonder bread (brown) $3.29
    Fresh tomatoes $4/kg
    Extra lean ground beef $7/kg (I think)

Gas: $1.03 / litre

Wonder bread?

So What your saying is Vancover is kinda like London - It rains all the time. Thanks for the heads up on the suburbs list too!

Thanks for the prices Kelownagirl! That's almost what we pay here. PHEW! We were kinda worried about food prices.

As for work: I'll hopefully have my Grad Dip in Education by then. I'd be qualified for High School Science (Biology) BF doesn't quite know what he wants to do yet - He has a biotech degree with honours and is really interested in economics - So who knows what he wants to do. He doesn't know himself.

LBTC - no we haven't considered Vernon - YET. We're in the very early stages so far so I will definatley look into it. BC is Britich Columbia right?

Neither of have ever skiied before so we'll be keen to learn!

I think it'd be fun to ride in the snow! But then again I have no idea just how cold that's going to be!
    Last edited by light_sabe_r; 11-06-2007 at 08:46 PM.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Vernon is northeast of Vancouver. It's about a 5 hour drive to get here, a one hour flight to the nearest airport, a half hour from here, in Kelowna. It's cooler here in the winter, than in Vancouver, but not really much for rain, and definitely not as cold as Toronto!

There are lots and lots of places in Canada to see and live and work. Most folks I know who have seen all of this great country (and I admit I haven't even come close), say BC (yes, British Columbia) is the most beautiful and fun. And the Okanagan Valley is the most desirable place to live in BC, with many lakes, mountains, a mild climate, great wines, lots of outdoor activities and organized events.

Have fun!
    Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

Aberta

Ok..I'm going to jog a few memory banks as i've not lived in Canada for about 8yrs. I'll also go by what me mama tells me!

I'm from Alberta & it;'s a great province..! Rockies to the west, desert to the south & barren up north. Winters can be a bit harsh but it's not -30C for 6months of the year. Ian survived an Edmonton winter -40c..which is cold if it's windy.

My mom recently told me winters aren't as bad as they were when i lived in Edmonton
    If you want a job & not any job, have a look at Fort McMurray(fort mac), grand prarie, edmonton, calgary etc-oil related jobs BUT again possibly expensive to live.

Most Canuck towns have rinks!

I would also encourage you to look into other cities besides Van & TO as you'll see the real Canuckland. Avoid Winnipeg(aka Winterpeg) Saskatchewan-Regina perhaps.

The praries are worth looking into!

Domestic flights-www.westjet.com

Have you looked at the lonely planet travel board? http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

If Ian can survive Canada, i'm sure you and your dear can too!

c

Quote Originally Posted by LBTC View Post
    Wonder bread?
    Yeah, I know The little guy insisted and if it means he'll eat his sandwich I figured what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by light_sabe_r View Post
    BF and I have our hearts set on working overseas for a year. Canada is the place we both agree on the most.

SOOOOOO... Ladies I need some help and information about living in the maple leaf country.

We're looking at Vancover and Toronto because there the places where the most information is readily availiable- but we're open to suggestions really.

6: Which Airline would you reccommend? BF and I would probably fly Qantas to get there, but once we're there we'd be on connecting flights - So who do you fly with domestically?

Please help me out with your opinions, BF and I are only in the planing stages and it'll probably well over 18months before we'd get there but the ideas set in our heads now and it's time to research. We'd love to know more about what it's like there.

Huge thanks in Advance!
    Hey Light - I love Vancouver. My husband and I used JAL when we went from Aust years ago and it was a lot cheaper than Qantas. We flew to Tokyo and then on to Vancouver. Great way to check out Tokyo if you have the time.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

You HAVE to visit the Rockies and Banff.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    You HAVE to visit the Rockies and Banff.
    I loved the drive from Banff to Jasper. It really is such a beautiful part of the world.

http://www.canadianrockies.net/icepwy.html
    Amelia Earhart

DH rode that route with his brother in one day (12 hours I think?) He wants to do it again but I'm trying to talk him into us doing it in two days. Quite a beautiful ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    DH rode that route with his brother in one day (12 hours I think?) He wants to do it again but I'm trying to talk him into us doing it in two days. Quite a beautiful ride!
    WOW what a ride!! You must post some snaps if you do this ride with your DH so we can all oooh and aaah over the scenery.
    Amelia Earhart

I'm sure most of it will have me head down, sweating, and cranky. I have a love/hate relationship with hills - these will be mountains.