Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Rockgarden flack jacket

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've about decided after a bruised rib, lots of really awful bruises elsewhere and the fact that I'm still a newbie to buy a Rockgarden flack jacket. No one in my group wears armour but why not? Who needs the bruises? So anyone have any experience w/ this brand? And does wearing amour give you a little more confidence?
    Thanks in advance

I don't know anything about that particular product, but some general things...

Most of all, you don't encounter people wearing armour more because armour is freakin' hot to pedal in. Only downhillers and freeriders will wear a full set to ride in because they don't have to pedal as much. Jackets and compression suits are pretty expensive too, and can cause all kinds of chafing issues if they don't fit properly. It's more common for general trail-riders (which is what most of us are) to wear just knee-shin pads. This protects the bits that are most likely to get hit by stuff, and you can easily take them off and strap them to your pack on the sweaty uphill stretches. I guess you could get elbow-forearm guards too, if you wanted, and use them similarly.

Hope that's a little bit vaguely useful.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks for the info Dirtdiva.

You might want to check into the new line that Spyder is doing. I saw their stuff at Interbike, and it's really cool. The armor is soft and moldable, but on impact it gets hard like regular armor. They actually had balls of the stuff to play with. You could squish it in your hand like play doh, but then when you hit it with a hammer it got rock hard.
    It's also intergrated into the clothing, and they say it's pretty breathable, tho I didn't try any of it on.

I found this online in a quick search...

http://www.outdoorretailer.com/or/ph...tylus/8023.pdf

That stuff is awesome...they said it won't be introduced until spring 08...even washable and will be incorporated into shoes...thanks for the info.

Love my armor

I have been using the Crash Pads pants and Bohn Adventure Jacket and LOVE them. It's not IF I'll crash, it's WHEN! So, my hips are so grateful. For summer I use the shorts and in winter I use the full length pants. I no longer have those big bruises on my hips. They may look a bit odd, but be a trendsetter for us common sense gals who like to ride technical and still look great.
    Cat
    Pedal Queen of Santa Fe