Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

I came....I saw.....I hate gravity!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode my new girl Carmine on the trails and just about every ride I do something stupid--like fall. And it happens as I've come to a stop on uneven terrain, a slope, or something else. I'm unclipped on one side but I inevitably fall on the other side. And one time as I'm mounting my bike, the spandex catches the nose of the seat and I lose my balance. Dumb, dumb! At least it doesn't hurt to fall on the trails like it would on the road. I had good intentions of capturing Carmine's best side with a respectable amount of dirt on her when the camera battery died. So bear with me, I'll get a photo of my Specialized Rockhopper comp on the trail hopefully tomorrow.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't consider it a successful mtn bike ride if I DON'T fall and injure myself.
    Let's see that bike all caked in dirt and glory.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Gravity

It's the LAW!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I don't consider it a successful mtn bike ride if I DON'T fall and injure myself.
    Let's see that bike all caked in dirt and glory.
    It's like skiing...it's not a real day if you don't taste the ground at least once! It's part of that whole "communing with nature" thing.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Someone (who shall remain nameless ) endoed twice on her last ride... It's all part of the fun.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

You gals are serious mtb'ers and you fall in a most noble fashion. I'm just a lowly tomboy that wants to fly through the sticks, vines, small stumps and the like without falling when I've come to a complete stop. Or because my tights is duking it out with the saddle.

Gotta wait this afternoon before I can go out to play. Got the camera charged up this time.

Pics as promised.

I had a bad accident today. I came off the trail onto the pavement and I was going downhill around a curve while glancing over to another trailhead. I braked with both hands but I grabbed the front brake too hard and before I knew it, I flew over it, landed on my chest and felt my front teeth grind against the pavement. My chin did too. How I didn't end up with road rash is beyond me. My teeth are ok. My elbow hurts really bad. It happened so quick I don't remember if or how I braced with my arm. I think the nerve running from the pinky to my elbow is what's hurting right now. I feel like crying. I'm really sad about my crash. I wonder if I shouldn't ride my mtb now.

Gosh darn it, Girl...I'm sorry you had a nasty crash....poor teeth and elbow
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

mtn

sorry to hear you had a bad endo

don't give up on mtn biking because of it. go out again! do it for the gipper

i can't wait til the day i get to go mtn biking again

c

Thank you Elk and CC for your words of comfort. I'm pretty weepy right now. I just wanted to ride and have fun. I'm going to take a pain pill now and go to bed. Maybe it will be better in the morning.

So sorry for your fall, sundial, and hope you feel better soon! If it's any comfort, I fell about 5-6 times last year on my mtb, and have not fallen ONCE this year! I do ride on pretty wimpy trails compared to a lot of the gals here, and only once a week most of the time, but still, there is hope for you, so please don't give up!

I do relate to what you are saying -- unlike a lot of mtbers I know, I don't view falling as a badge to be worn proudly, I view it as evidence that I made a mistake, and I take care to avoid doing whatever it is that caused me to fall the next time. So, I am much more cautious than a lot of mtbers, go slower, will get off and walk if I get nervous, and won't ride certain trails at all, but I really value not being in pain or abject terror!

Heal up fast....

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Man, there have been just too many crashes lately! So sorry you're hurting, Sundial... especially out on your brand new (and very photogenic might I add) bike.

Ooooooh, me likey the new bikey!!!

Sorry to hear about your crash! Don't give up. Just start out slowly again. I had a really bad crash back in July. I had to go back to the easiest trails I had first started out on and work my way back up to the harder stuff in order to get my confidence back. Luckily it only took a couple months instead of a year! Just take it easy for a few rides and get "reaquainted" with your bike.

Ow, I'm sorry. I'm cringing about teeth on pavement! oy.

I had the hardest time getting used to the suspension on the fork when I stopped. If you hit the brakes too hard, then the suspension gives, it's easy to do an endo. Once I realized what would happen, I learned to compensate...but maybe that contributed to your accident?

Don't stop! Maybe take it a little more easy and anticipate a little better? The only real wreck I've had mtb-ing is when I didn't anticipate what could happen and take steps to avoid it. Going through a little creek on a big flat rock, on a curve--bike went right out from under me and I landed on my knee. You can betcha I won't be forgetting that next time I see a big flat wet rock!

That's making me want to get back out there. :::must survive fitness boot camp:::must not ride:::must not waste money spent on fitness boot camp:::must not ride:::

Karen

Hey, Sundial, what trail were you on? I don't know anything about trails on that side of the world, but I'd like to. That leaf covered trail looks nice!

Karen