Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mountain bike touring in NZ

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,
    Since we are hooked on mountain bike touring, we're thinking of making New Zealand south island our next spot late next year. Any one have some suggestions for long distance mountain bike routes that link to different towns (point to point rides)? We know we will have to do some road touring to link mountain rides. We will probably have 3-4 weeks to tour. Thanks for all your help!
    snow

Kennett Bros

Hey!

Go to www.groundeffect.co.nz & pick up a copy of the Kennett Brothers guide to Mtn biking in NZ.

The Queen Charlotte Track at the top of the south island is supposed to be a beaut!!!

If you're at the top of the south island, take the ferry from Picton to Wellington & try some of the tracks there!

Are you flying to the south island or driving down from the north??? If you can find a group, I recommend the 42nd Traverese ONLY if you have a group. Don't try it with only two of you.

C

BF and I have done the Central Otago rail trail a couple of times and really enjoyed it

http://www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi girl View Post
    BF and I have done the Central Otago rail trail a couple of times and really enjoyed it
    We were in the South Island this time last year, and crossing from the east to the west after the National Road Cycling Champs had finished, we passed this/crossed over it.
    We didn't stop to ride it, of course, as the trailer was filled with road bikes, but I said to my partner that I would love to ride this one day.
    Stunning country, SnowTulip... if you are that far south I would def reccommend you pop it on your agenda

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Thanks for the great suggestions! We had wanted to do New Zealand a while back, but had some other opportunities present themselves, so we're back on track for New Zealand, it looks so amazing and I hear about the great mountain biking. I'm going to start piecing together routes from your suggestions. And I've ordered the mtb. book.

Yipeee!

Hey CC,
    Been looking at websites regarding the 42nd traverse, looks like fun and right up our alley. Curious why you wouldn't recommend if we aren't travelling in a group? Your insider information is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

quick

Sorry, quick reply whilst at work.

A few reasons:

1-The weather is very very unpredictable in the area-When we did it, it was 5c, cloudy & rainy when we started plus Mt Tongariro, Ngaruho & Ruapehu were shrouded in thick clouds(never a good thing when ya can't see any of them!!!)..but when we finished it was beautiful & 20C.. That's what the area's like..

2-It's isolated & no services for 42km through rough terrain. I don't know about cell phone coverage either..

3-If either one of you gets hurt, you may be there for a while (A while back some guys decided to do it at night and one guy broke his leg..they had to carry him 20km)

I'd be concerned if only two of you were out there...

I'm sure if you're researching the 42nd traverse, you'll find all the info!

I'm just being cautious & want folks to know.

C
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 10-15-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks CC!

thought

Just sitting & pondering more for you..Please don't limit yourself to the South Island

What about renting a touring van (kea campers?) and doing some tracks in certain parts of the north & south island ??

1-The Colville Connection www.colvilleconnection.co.nz

2-The Karapoti classic near Wellington-you can do the course outside of the actual event day

3-Mtn biking in the Rotorua region & beyond..

That's all i can think of..must go to bed..

c

That's something we might consider. Our last few trips have involved shear human power (feet or bike) to get us through countries and we are really loving that. But on our last trip, we finished our trek a week early and ended up renting a car that last week and really enjoyed it. So we've been considering doing 2 or 3 weeks human powered, and then the last week take a break and kick back with a rental.

So many options, and then I started to look at the Munda Biddi trail, and am wondering if we should do that!

Too many places to see, too little time!

Thanks for all of your help!

thooughttt

Hey, hmmm..Another thought..mmmm

If you want to do the Munda Biddi until the end you could then do a hike along the Bibbulmun Track..http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

If you need help with logistics, let me know. I'm sure we could find a way to drop stuff off for you at Collie.

c

I'm doing the Queen Charlotte Walkway in four weeks time, so I'll be able to give you a first-hand account. Bear in mind that about half of that is closed to MTB traffic Dec-Feb. There are heaps and heaps and heaps of places to ride in the South Island. If you manage to be here in the school hols I'll even show you some of it. To get the most of the best riding, renting a van or something would be the way to go. You could still do plenty of 2/3 day rides, but you'd miss the best of the singletrack trying to lug paniers or trailers.

A sample of the riding that can be done just on Department of Conservation land: clicky-clicky - everything listed from Nelson/Malborough on is SI.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks dirt diva, let me know how it goes! I also appreciate the offer! There looks to be so much wonderful mountain biking in New Zealand! I can't wait. Part of the fun is figuring everything out and all that I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
    I'm doing the Queen Charlotte Walkway in four weeks time, so I'll be able to give you a first-hand account.
    One of my work collegues who is also a training partner (when we can get it together ) did this with her sister last summer.

She LUUUURVED it, and I was ready to chuck in road racing and take up off-roading only based on her rave review.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Dooooo eeet!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.