Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My trip to the ER on Friday-long story

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI, have decided to try an type with one hand to update you ladies. This will be a long post k..First, thank you to the ladies who wondered how I was!!! You know who you are

Friday mornings are normally my 50 k morning ride day. I was a bit tierd but knew by the time i was at waork, i'd be nice and chirpy . My speed was alright and knew my ride woudl be ok. Just letting you know I was on a purpose built bike path running along the roe highway and not near any cars. Alng this bike path there are a few corners that are hard to see around and most of us slow down. It was at one of these corners that my accident happened.

I guess Kim(gent I ran into) was comingng down the small hill that goes under the freeway and does a sharpish turn & I was moving quickly towars that sharp turn that leads to a small uphill climb. As I turned, í'm not sure who was doing what, all I know is I swerved to get out of his way but swereved the wrong way?? Anywho, the last thing i remember is crashing into him. It happened so quickly! I don't remember much after that except giving kim my phone to call Ian. Ian got the call & zoomed to get me-i'll post his facebook update-. I couldn't sit up while waiting for him and couldn't remember the month. Kim was really helpful and tried to get me to sit up but i was out if it. When Ian did come, I had a hard time sitting up to get in the car as it hurt so much! He wondered if he should call and ambulance but decided against it and zoomed me to the Armadale hospital. (they know me now third time in the last year)

Got to the hospital and had an off duty nurse help me into the ER. I was still quite hazy and not sure if they even asked me many questions but an ER doc came out of the office and saw me. I was sent right in & was assessed. I don't remmeber much except trying to explain where i was hurt. A large amt of x-rays were ordered and sat wondering how to sit as moving forward was

The X-rays were cool but gee Mr X-Ray Tech, my shoulders hurt when you mentioned where i had to keep them! I had a collar on too which wasn't helping...I was enjoying the ride looking at the ceiling.. he heeehh..
    Xrays came back saying my right knee was ok (i think kim had to pull my feet out of my clips and had to apply some pressure on the right side ). Dr told me the following:
    Dislocated Left Collar bone (at the end by the sternum).
    Badly strained left sholder (in a sling for 4- 6 weeks)
    Twisted Right knee
    Concussion

Even better, i got to have a CT scan!! Cool machine but FARK it hurt to get on it..yeow..DR wanted to know if the bone had moved inwards or just up. We waited for a while & was told the bone had just moved upwards hence why it's hard to breathe sometimes. I still have dizzy spells when i get up in bed & it's exciting deciding what part to move first.

I was told we could go home but i have to go back on monday to see a dr at one of the clinics & will know how long it'll be before i can bike, swim or run again OOPS..Ian knows i'm going to go crazy....

So, i've changed my profile on bikejournal to the first aid sign. My goal was 10,000km this year and am at 7490km and hope I can get to at least 8500km by the end of the year...I hope...

No idea if i'm doing the 200km brevet in two weeks, the 12hr and so forth..

If you have any healing suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again for reading all the way down to here

c

Ow! I hope you feel better in time for your brevet in 2 weeks (didn't you say a sling for the next 4-6?)

Glad it wasn't worse.

Karen

Ouch! Did you see stars? Sounds like you need a new helmet! So glad you're as okay as you are! Big hugs.

You're too funny worrying about your 10,000km goal. You're one tough chick.

Oww. Hope you got some good drugs and will rest comfortably o'er the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Ow! I hope you feel better in time for your brevet in 2 weeks (didn't you say a sling for the next 4-6?)

Glad it wasn't worse.

Karen
    I thought that too. Very tough girl...that needs to relax and heal

CC, I'm sending you lots of healing vibes so that you can do your brevet and everything else you have planned. Please remember to take it easy though.

Full strength healing vibes headed your way!!!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Oh no! I'm so sorry about your accident, but so glad that you'll heal up OK soon. The fact that you're thinking about the brevet in two weeks amazes me. You're a tough cookie, and if you take it easy, you'll heal up in no time.
    Wrecks stink- especially ones that cause a concussion. Yeeeow!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hope you feel better. I was in the ER this past weekend for an accident as well. I didn't make it over the tree quite how I hoped. Instead of a bunny hop it turned into an endo. I can kind of feel your pain. I thought that I had broke my collar bone or at very least dislocated my shoulder . But praise God I just ended up with some deep tissue bursing over the shoulder socket and collor bone. I felt the shoulder pop back into joint when I tried to get up the second time after the accident. Good to know you had somebody with you even if it was the person you hit.

Take care of yourself cc ! There's always another brevet.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Ouch!
    sounds like your're rando material! I have who's going both of my 200K routes if his bike didn't burn in the fire....

clarify

thanks & i shall rest but am finding it hard to lay down..as i have to think about how to get up again ..

the helmet broke & left a bump/bruise/sore on my left temple. we are buying a new one soon..

the other guy, kim is ok. he cycled on to work but was sent home. I spoke to him last night and was told the next time he sees me, he'll stop & say hi. Lovely man!

i was training for the brevet but can wait for the next 200k i have planned on my summer calendar.

c

Sorry to hear about your crash! Hope your healing progresses smoothly.

I guess i can quit holding my breath now. I'm so sorry you crashed. What a bummer!
    please get well soon.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Gee CC - if you were single I'd tease you that was a heck of a way to meet a guy

In all seriousness girl, glad to hear you're on the mend. Take good care of you so you're better and stronger in no time. Need some fig newtons to help?!
    Dar

CC - things I did when I had a broken humerus and dislocated shoulder, complete with 3 pins...

I set up a bunch of pillows on the couch and coffee table, so I could sleep sitting up. Laying down was extremely painful.

Move the rest of your body as much as you can.

Be aware that frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) sets in after a very short time of immobilising your shoulder. Talk with the doc and see if you can get clearance for your dh to move your arm for you. You want to, if it's safe to, get as much range of motion in your shoulder as you can without using the muscles. The FS was the hardest part of my recovery. After months of physio I had to have a cortisone shot.

Take the pain meds if they make you more relaxed. If you're gritting your teeth through the pain, you're not relaxed enough for healing to take place.

Eat really well, drink lots of water, sleep often, be easy on yourself.

My four weeks with the pins in meant I could not move my arm more than a few mm. It was my writing hand - I could not drive, could not dress myself, and typing at my computer made me dizzy. Yes, for virtually the entire four weeks. The pain meds worked at first, then made me sick. I ended up taking regular aspirin before bed.

You may find that calcium with magnesium and zinc, especially in liquid form, will help the muscles relax, in a nice and natural way....

I would spend about 4 hours a day doing a very light workout on our home gym. Every body part except my right arm....then wrist curls with a 1 lb weight in my right hand as soon as I could....the rest of the day I'd spend reading, and trying to be on my computer.

Honour your body, CC, if it needs rest or needs to sit upright, or needs sugar or protein or whatever, give it what it wants. You've ridden an amazing distance this year already, and you will ride a lot again. Don't force it too soon. Heal completely.

Hugs and many many healing butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com