Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with Mixte handlebars?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We recently got a Takara mixte, its picture is in the "bikes" thread. DH has been taking it apart and says it is in incredible shape though the cables and brakes need to be replaced. Structurally, it is fantastic.

He asked me if I wanted to swap out the handlebar. The one on the bike is more of a flat style, I think it is more traditional on a mixte. I have to admit that when I test rode the bike, it was awkward! It was raining out, I am not used to having my feet not be stuck to the pedals (I kept trying to pull up as I kicked off), and my hands seemed so far out to each side. I was so wobbly!

I've seen mixtes with drop bars and I've seen them without. I can get used to riding it as it is, all it takes is practice. The bike won't be used for great distance but I could see it going up to 30 miles at times.

For those people riding mixtes, what have you done and what would you recommend? I have a lovely road bike and am not trying to turn this into that. This bike has fenders and will make a fantastic bad weather or "around town" bike.

Am so undecided! Anything we do can be undone, of course. I just hate to make DH go through extra work just to have me change it back.

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    I have to admit that when I test rode the bike, it was awkward! It was raining out, I am not used to having my feet not be stuck to the pedals (I kept trying to pull up as I kicked off), and my hands seemed so far out to each side. I was so wobbly!
    I loooove my albatros bars. Yes, it's further out but plenty of options and hand positions to pick from.

The real surprise is the BMX pedals. Other than that I can't pull up I feels very solid, secure and "attached" to the bike.

I didn't pick any of this, it was all decided by the shop. But works great.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I'm going to put a Nitto Technomic stem and Albatross bars on my new Lotus. I love the way they look.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post

He asked me if I wanted to swap out the handlebar. The one on the bike is more of a flat style, I think it is more traditional on a mixte....
    I've seen mixtes with drop bars and I've seen them without.

For those people riding mixtes, what have you done and what would you recommend? I have a lovely road bike and am not trying to turn this into that. This bike has fenders and will make a fantastic bad weather or "around town" bike.

Am so undecided! Anything we do can be undone, of course. I just hate to make DH go through extra work just to have me change it back.
    Flat bars are not traditional on old mixtes. Old mixtes from the 1950's era had bars more like the albatross style:
    http://www.teamkarim.com/bikes/used/.../071006-14.jpg

I would put flat wide MKS Touring pedals on an old mixte if you are looking for a traditional look:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html
    Or pick up some cheap vintage ones with reflectors on them from Ebay!

I personally would not put drop bars on an old mixte because the frame geometry and saddle were designed for a more upright posture. Sitting on it in a road bike psoture might put a lot of pressure on your intimate parts. Not to say some people don't do it and feel fine anyway.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm. These are all things to think about. I did realize the bike was meant to be ridden more upright and my obvious balance flaws need to be resolved

Not to duplicate the other thread but this is it before it was taken apart. We're thinking of moving the shifters and while I've seen drop bars on Mixtes, I'm not completely sure I should do it.

Mmmmm, project bike. DH is loving it because he loves working on bikes and I'm happy because the bike has personality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mixte1.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	4699  

I love that bike!
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I loooove my albatros bars. Yes, it's further out but plenty of options and hand positions to pick from.

The real surprise is the BMX pedals. Other than that I can't pull up I feels very solid, secure and "attached" to the bike.

I didn't pick any of this, it was all decided by the shop. But works great.
    No, dear, you have moustache bars.

And they are FABULOUS!!

(love the BMX pedals, too. What a nice coincidence that those are the same kind of pedal I put on my Surly! )

Nice bike there, Teigyr! MORE PICTURES, PLEASE!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    No, dear, you have moustache bars.

And they are FABULOUS!!
    I stand corrected, dear. It's not just the bars it's the brakes, I loove the upside down TT brakes. They fit my hands well and look sooooooo cool.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Knot, the bike is starting to be disassembled and it is (ahem) in the basement. You are more than welcome to come view Takara carnage I am open to any and all suggestions as far as what to do with it.

I rode looking at the computer for so many years, I am looking forward to this bike being done. I've begrudgingly accepted myself in lycra and spiffy colors but to ride in normal shoes and semi-normal clothes just seems so...dunno...cool! It'll be riding a bike to ride a bike instead of "going to ride 30 miles because this is a cycling day". It's kind of liberating to think that way.

Sandra, it IS kind of pretty! I am not an orange kind of person but I seem to have inherited orange kind of bikes. I guess I should look at the positives! Oddly enough, when I used to restore vintage MG's, my first was an orange MGB. I always used to think "if only it was British racing green instead of orange..." because you can't really change colors if you're doing a pure restoration. I guess orange follows me

Thanks Trek! Regardless of what you have on your bike, I don't know terminology and I only care about what works.

Lisa, thanks for the link! I have decided against drop bars though the bars that are on it are kind of rusty. We will start looking at ones to replace it with. I have drop bars in stock but nothing else so it is good to know where to go to purchase.

If you're going to put albatross bars on a mixte, make sure you have a long enough stem or it may get a bit cramped in the cockpit. Albatross bars sweep back pretty far. Another option is North Road bars, which are what came on my mixte from the mid-80s.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Moustache bars are traditional for mixtes too, like Trek apparently has. Harris also sells them. Moustache bars don't sweep back quite as much as albatross bars. My DH switched from moustache to albatross on his old Trek hybrid, and says he thinks the albatross are more comfortable for him on longer rides.
    Here is his old Trek with albatross bars:
    Attachment 4702
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 01-11-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    If you're going to put albatross bars on a mixte, make sure you have a long enough stem or it may get a bit cramped in the cockpit. Albatross bars sweep back pretty far. Another option is North Road bars, which are what came on my mixte from the mid-80s.
    Those are nifty bars!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I put them ALbatross bars on my step through hybrid. (not to duplicate...as you say...here's a side ways picture to go with Lisa's 3/4)
    They are NOT expensive from Rivendell and they have them in 2 sizes...in case you didn't already know.....they also have the others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	globe_0015.jpg 
Views:	1194 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	4704  
    Last edited by elk; 10-26-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: syntax!
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

I don't think it is correct that mixtes were meant to be ridden more upright than road bikes. I bought a mixte in the 80s and it was equipped with drop bars. I think the bar/stem combo to choose depends on how the bike fits you, and what it takes to achieve balance. Too bad I gave that bike away......... It was one of the first wsd bikes out there.

I know a number of mixtes from the 70s came with drop bars. They were identical to a men's 10-speed except for the frame shape.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72