Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Best time/place to buy a bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a reformed mountain biker, and have been riding road all summer on a mountain bike with a group until I was sure that I would stick with it/could do it (I sustained a back injury). I'm really loving it, have always loved riding and was a roadie years ago.

I'm not concerned with having the latest model, but I am seeking out a good bike that is a good fit for me. I'm a bit of a bargain-hunter and so, I thought I could try out bikes for a while, different places, until I find "the one." From there, when is the best time to purchase? I'm thinking in January/February cycling shops are more interested in cutting a deal on last year's models, or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    I'm a reformed mountain biker, and have been riding road all summer on a mountain bike with a group until I was sure that I would stick with it/could do it (I sustained a back injury). I'm really loving it, have always loved riding and was a roadie years ago.

I'm not concerned with having the latest model, but I am seeking out a good bike that is a good fit for me. I'm a bit of a bargain-hunter and so, I thought I could try out bikes for a while, different places, until I find "the one." From there, when is the best time to purchase? I'm thinking in January/February cycling shops are more interested in cutting a deal on last year's models, or am I wrong?
    Hi Grey, fall is a good time to get a good deal too. I got my road bike last yr in fall and got a cut in price and I loove this bike. Giant ocr2. You're not far from me btw, and I have cousins in LaFayette. Welcome to TE. Keep riding. Jennifer

Look now

Your LBS is already discounting 07 bikes. The 08 bikes are already posted on all the major manufacturers' web sites. See my "bike lust" post on this topic; I just got a new '07 bike 30% off! You are right to not just be shopping for a good bargain, but a good fit. If you're going to put the miles on, you have to be comfortable. Good luck! Keep riding!

NOW THROUGH NOVEMBER IS A GREAT TIME ON E-BAY... YOU WONT FIND MUCH IN JAN. FEB.

smilingcat

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited about riding more.

Jennifer - where did you go for your bike? There's a shop in Rome, and one on the south side of Chattanooga in Ringgold, and those are the only 2 I know. Bob's in Rome didn't have much last time I was there (3 road bikes!) but the one in Ringgold has lots they need to get rid of - apparently the owners have a friend with another store, the owner of the other store had a bad accident and the owners of this store bought his inventory to help him out.

Well, let's just make this a Georgia reunion! Grey, I'm not far from you either, in Dalton. You might try Bear Creek Bicycles in Dalton (formerly Dalton Bicycles, recently purchased by Jim Raisin, father of Saul Raisin, and Shane Adams), River City Bicycles in Chattanooga, or East Ridge Bicycles in East Ridge. Small/WSD bikes may be hard to find in this area. Have fun shopping!

KB

Awesome! Thank you Kaybee! I'll definitely go check them all out

East Ridge is the one I had as being in Ringgold. I go there fairly often to see if they have any gear on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    Well, let's just make this a Georgia reunion! Grey, I'm not far from you either, in Dalton. You might try Bear Creek Bicycles in Dalton (formerly Dalton Bicycles, recently purchased by Jim Raisin, father of Saul Raisin, and Shane Adams), River City Bicycles in Chattanooga, or East Ridge Bicycles in East Ridge. Small/WSD bikes may be hard to find in this area. Have fun shopping!

KB
    Great idea KBee. I'm further south on 27. between Carrollton & Lagrange. Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm really excited about riding more.

Jennifer - where did you go for your bike? There's a shop in Rome, and one on the south side of Chattanooga in Ringgold, and those are the only 2 I know. Bob's in Rome didn't have much last time I was there (3 road bikes!) but the one in Ringgold has lots they need to get rid of - apparently the owners have a friend with another store, the owner of the other store had a bad accident and the owners of this store bought his inventory to help him out.
    I'm further south than both of you. below Carrollton. There's a nice shop in Carrollton I visit(didn't get bike there) Perpetual Motion Bicycles Inc on Maple St. Off hwy 27 towards Univ of West Ga. I got my bikes in Lagrange at Goldens Bikes. I've bought 3 there, traded the first for a third. hybrid to mtn bike last month. My roadie came from there as well. They treat me well. So between me and KB and even some Atlanta shops, you have lots of choices. Jenn

p.s. there's a fair amount of Ga people here on TE now- lots more than there used to be

Thanks! And, good to know