Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trek 4300 - $280 good deal???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone ride a Trek 4300? If so, has it been a good bike and are you happy with it? My LBS has a few 2007 Trek 4300 for $280 - and of course they have my size(16"). This seems to be a good price(don't know if the price is because I inquired about buying 2 of them, one for me and one for DGF). I'm on a new fitness kick for the winter months. Mountain biking(trails, 2 tracks), here in Michigan we usually don't get much snow accumulation till January. Then when we have some snow - snowshoeing and cross country skiing. Snowshoeing will be another new venture.

I think that is definitely a good deal for what you're getting. If you are simply planning on tootling around on dirt roads and non-technical trails designed for families and such, these bikes will be ideal. Bear in mind, though, that if you are planning to get into mountain biking seriously there are a lot of things on the 4300 that you will outgrow quite rapidly. If whatever bikes you are on now are anything above entry-level, you will probably find shifting and braking disappointing compared to what you are used to. That said, all the components on the 4300 are reliable and easily serviceable (i.e. spares are readily available), and the frame is good enough to be worth upgrading bits and pieces with better bits and pieces as you wear things out.

Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks for the input. I've checked all the LBS in the area and no one has that good of a deal. I was even considering a Schwinn Timbers - less than $200 --- not a good quality bike. I'm calling the LBS Monday and see when I can pick them up. Will post pics of the new 'girls'.