Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 Mile Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here's an interesting little video put together by the people over at Cliff about what the effects of using bikes more often for trips under 2 miles would be.
    http://www.2milechallenge.com/ride/

I put my address into the 2 mile radius map..... wow, I usually don't bother to pull out the car or the bike for trips that short, until I'm getting the very outer edges, then I might bike. I generally prefer to walk....... I think I must be really odd........
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

The only place a 2-mile radius would take me is the middle of the woods
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks for the reminder, Eden! I've been meaning to check that out and I kept forgetting!

In a 2 mile radius from my house, there is hardly anything but woods, lakes or residential neighborhoods. There is one tennis/swim place (we don't belong) and a big park, but I'm proud to say that I'd NEVER take a car to either of those places. I'd either bike or walk...
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

how much of yours is in Lake Washington?

Eden your ability to walk to where you need to go marks you as someone who does not have a fulltime job. I don't have TIME to walk to all those places.
    I do try to ride for some trips, but it just is too hard to work around my schedule without some use of the car. (especially when I buy cat litter or detergent)
    Last edited by mimitabby; 10-22-2007 at 12:36 PM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

This is really cool! I live in a city, so it actually makes a difference. Only problem is that within 2 miles of my actual house is nothing that I go to. I bike everywhere within 2 miles of my BF's house though

Not really - my car driving habits have not changed too much since I had a full time job. I of course have to take the car when I have to go a long distance in a limited time or I have large/heavy things to carry, though I have been known to carry 28lbs of cat litter on my bike.....

Really its scheduling and planning the things that need to be done and many things that would require a long walk are either recreational or can wait until I have the time to do it. I live in a good area for walking Broadway is about 10-15 minutes, downtown 20-25. Most of what I need is close to me and I chose this area because of that. Many places are more of a pain to drive to than walk - it could take as long to find a parking place than it would just to walk there...... Oh - and also I do not have kids so that all around makes life easier.

Compared to most Americans I think I live a much more European lifestyle. I grocery shop nearly every day (yes I do have an advantage here - I have a Safeway only about a block from my house, but I don't always shop at that one. I don't mind taking 20 min to walk to Trader Joe's or Madison Market and back either) We also generally eat later - yeah if its expected that dinner will be on the table at 5pm my lifestyle wouldn't be very effective.....

When I was growing up my parents would rarely ever drive me anywhere. If I wanted to go somewhere I usually had to walk, bike or take the bus. It's just natural to me I guess.

I have yet to try to go to Costco on the bike yet.... but I have some ideas on how to build a trailer cheap, so someday........
    Last edited by Eden; 10-22-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I envy your location. If, if, if...
    owell.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hmm, I don't know what I could get to within 2 miles. 3 would be alot more things. Right now I walk to and from my 2xweek swim class, which is 1.2 miles each way. Well, actually I run. It only take about 10 minutes, maybe more if it was a tough class!

K.

Two Miles is pretty much my entire city. I do walk to the downtown area a lot in the spring (it's only 4 blocks away). I go days without leaving my house at all, in order to make the small trips I have to take combinable into one trip.

Yesterday I had to send a check to the guy who mows our baseball complex. I didn't have a stamp, so I just looked up his address and took it to his house--closer than the post office. My town is just small.

My grandmother walked everywhere in Chicago. I remember her little shopping cart, but I'll bet I couldn't find one here. That's what it would take to get all my errands done without driving. (We're going through 2 gallons of milk every 3-4 days with this 14 yo here.) I occasionally get to ride my bike on these errands.

I'm going to consider it more, since I don't work, I have the time, and could save that much more gas if I walked. I have a "new" old touring bike with racks to get ready for service, too. Thanks for sharing that site.

Karen

DH and I have been a one-car family since before we were married...just passed the four year mark. This means that one of us is usually carless!

It was VERY stressful the first six months, until we learned how to plan ahead, like Eden mentioned. We have to email each other at the beginning of each week so that we can check each other's schedule throughout the week. I've had to adjust to not being able to do anything I want whenever I want. I still get to do whatever I want, but it might have to be at a different time. It took a long time to un-learn that instant gratification.

This 2-mile deal is a great idea.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Wow Eden, I thought this would only cover the US but no, my little town in the UK suddenly appeared.

Cheers for that.

Clock
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

More and more these days we walk or ride our bikes for all of the local stuff. We walk over to the grocery store. Sure it's more trips that way because you can only buy as much as you can carry, but then again it's more excuses for a walk too. We walk or bike to the bank, to our local favorite restaurant, etc... I take public transit for work when I can't ride since I live about 10 miles away. (Even as slow as I am, it's still usually quicker for me to ride in than to drive because of the traffic. ) We have a bike club at the hospital and lots of help to find routes and such for new employees. We get a card punched for everyday that we bike in and after 35 punches, they put $50 in our paychecks. ($25 if you have a transit pass) Watching that little video certainly gives one a bit more inspiration to drive less.

Thanks Eden. I'll pass it on.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Very cool Eden, thanks. My no-drive radius is more like 10 miles, more if you include transit, but everything (apart from my office) is within a 6 mile radius of my house, and biking that distance is faster than driving.

I'm like you in that I shop almost daily. I find that I eat a lot better that way, but I am lucky to have a store a mile away and a Wild Oats (which I usually go to) a little over 2 miles away. I just made my first bike-to-Costco trip this weekend (it is about 6 miles away and I definitely pushed the 70 lb limit on the trailer!) but it was a lot easier than I expected. Not to mention that I got serious props from the cashier and some good-looking guys in the parking lot.

A trailer has made a big difference for me in making errands bike-friendly. I used to walk out for cat litter & detergent but it is so much easier & faster on the bike with the trailer.

Anne

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That was really interesting, Eden- thanks for posting it!
    I guess I didn't realize how many of the things I go to are in my 2 mile radius. There's so much traffic, that I hadn't considered riding my bike... until recently. I just bought an OLD steel bike that I'm restoring (got if for $5 and am putting about $60 into it). It'll be my errand bike. I plan on putting a basket and rear rack and using it to grocery shop and go other quick places.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Gosh...the world is at my doorstep!! But in order to get to it, I have to do some major hills on narrow, bike lane-less and fairly well traffic-ed roads...

But I can go to the park and a coffeshop really easily!
    Gosh darn it, I think I will!
    Discipline is remembering what you want.