Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Where to ride in Sedona

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all! I am going to be in Sedona this week Wednesday- Sunday for a vacation. I'm thinking about renting a bike there and riding, as the idea of being away from my bike that long is sad. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a 30 mile ride that doesn't involve a lot of crazy climbing. I realize I'm going to the mountains and asking for a flat ride, but any thoughts?

Road riding??

Road riding is not very good in Sedona (narrow roads and lots of tourists). Flat road riding is non-existent!

The best that I can think of is off the hill down towards Cottonwood on 89, ride the Peach Springs Road (I can never remember the name of this road Peach Springs, page Springs???, anyway, if you describe it at the bike shop they can tell you where it is) which is nice but you will have to climb the hill back up to Sedona.

spoke

Now, mountain biking is good, but pretty technical.

I'l aggree, go south from sedona sounds the best:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ight=flagstaff
    Oak Creek canyon is pretty, but way too many tourists.
    If I remember right, 89a South had a pretty good shoulder, and not too bad secenry.
    Amy, I don't think you have a mountian bike (yet ) , right?

Sorry, I should have specified road bike. And I actually do own a mountain bike, but I've never used it to actually go mountain biking! I bought it because I was afraid of a road bike, but grew out of it in a month. But I've kept it because I think I might want to try my hand at mountain biking next.

I've been to Sedona once before and realize I won't get a flat ride. Fredwina-- that hill in Griffith Park is the biggest I've done and I've only done it 4 times now. I don't want to die out there by myself!

I may just stick to hiking and yoga since I'll be sad to not have my own bike there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina View Post
    I'l aggree, go south from sedona sounds the best:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ight=flagstaff
    Oak Creek canyon is pretty, but way too many tourists.
    If I remember right, 89a South had a pretty good shoulder, and not too bad secenry.
    Amy, I don't think you have a mountian bike (yet ) , right?
    My god! Is there any route you don't ride? Your riding is beyond amazing. Aly and I keep saying we want to be able to actually ride with you (For now, the folding bike is at least a little more fair!). We have a lot of work to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    My god! Is there any route you don't ride? Your riding is beyond amazing. Aly and I keep saying we want to be able to actually ride with you (For now, the folding bike is at least a little more fair!). We have a lot of work to do!!
    I only do the crazy rider to get these:

and this ones still in the mail:

wasn't crazy enough to get these two. I think MP might have them:

you haven't heard the latest thing I'm planning Upland to Oceanside via Idyllwild Although I'm trying to talk Bruce into Hemet instead

Smile Road riding in Sedona

Hi ladies,

I live in Sedona and started road biking here a year ago. I would agree with most of the posts: there are a lot of tourists, a lot of hills, and some of the shoulders are pretty narrow. With all the construction and traffic, I would definitely avoid the stretch of road between Sedona and the Village of Oak Creek (179). Also, I would avoid the Canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff. It is beautiful, but a huge climb, very narrow shoulders, and lots of cars. Most people who ride it do so very early in the morning, to avoid traffic, and it's getting a bit cold for that. A nice ride is Dry Creek Road to the Enchantment Resort area (if you start right in Sedona, a nice way to get there is via Sanborn/Thunder Mountain Rd. - adding a couple of miles and avoiding 89A) - there are a few nice, smooth roads in and around that area as well - but again, a few decent climbs. I think someone mentioned 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood. That is a very popular ride - nice wide shoulders, about 15-18 miles each way, depending on where you stop in each town. There tends to be a bit of road debris, so be careful and carry an extra tube! Someone mentioned Page Springs Road. This is also a really nice ride, really pretty, some climbing, and off of 89A (between Sedona and Cottonwood). There are 3 bike shops in town: Mountain Bike Heaven, which is right in the middle of West Sedona; as the name implies, they focus mostly on mountain biking, but they can at least give you directions to the road rides. Then there are Absolute and Bike and Bean in the Village of Oak Creek.

I hope this helps - let me know if you want any more info. Have fun in Sedona - the weather is supposed to be beautiful!

Best,
    Meredith
    PS - There is tons of mountain biking in Sedona, but most of it is pretty technical...