Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

fixed in sydney?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I am moving to Sydney for a year in January and will be commuting 25k each way on my trusty surly crosscheck. Having spent some time lurking on this forum I am getting very tempted by building up an old frame into a fixie and was wondering how easy it would be to get a small second hand frame in sydney and what riding fixed there would be like?
    Any suggestions gratefully received and for those of you on the mixte thread - its your fault!

Unfortunetly your best bet would be to buy one through the trading post. There's not too many second hand bike stores in Australia and Sydney isn't exactly bike Friendly. In fact in a survey done by Cycling Central, Sydney came LAST out of all the capital cities when it came to ease of commute and cycling infrastructure.

But I'm digressing. The Australian trading Post (www.tradingpost.com.au) and maybe even cash converters (a chain pawn broking store) will probably have something of interest.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Have you ridden in Sydney before. I'd find choosing my gearing on a fixie pretty tough for the hills there

Second-hand bike shops? - I'm not sure they even exist. But I think, there are a few bike shops which sell second bikes.
    My LBS in Dee Why does, and I got my Trek hybrid from there for a fair price.
    http://www.deewhybeachcycles.com.au/...nd%20bikes.htm

On the fixed issue, it depends where you live and commute, and your experience with hills.
    Have a look at Bikely, and it's elevation for various sydney rides, to check for yourself.

BTW - Here's the way I usually commute to the city
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/27619
    I consider that reasonably flat, compared to Akuna Bay & some of the other national park rides.

Welcome to the crazyness that is Sydney.
    Last edited by enzed; 10-20-2007 at 01:21 AM.