Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Rampant Staph Outbreaks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Seem as though the bacteria are better at evolving than we are at producing new types of antibiotics. The methicillin resistant staph is no longer just resistant, it's antibiotic-proof.

I find this very disturbing.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

The spider bite I got in FL in August came with a drug resistant staph infection, it was miserable and pretty frightening. The doc kept saying things like "well, we can TRY something else but not much will work for this".

Electra Townie 7D

Consider yourself lucky, Queen. In Maryland and Virginia it's shut down schools and caused deaths.

Bacteria multiply and evolve rapidly, like every twenty minutes. Look at these search results

I heard about this today on public radio. Apparently they've had success containing it in NC by doing pretty much all-out isolation once someone's discovered to have it.

Scary!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

The superbug is tthe result of indiscriminate use of drugs from poultry farms, to big agri-business where they are using it in the feed for cattle for pig, even for fish/shrimp farms.

You should expect the bugs to develop immunity to the anti-biotic "toxins".

The interesting thing is that I think it was in Sweden where they have banned anti-biotic use in the feed and can now only be used if the animal is sick. Wtihin three years of the ban, the superbug disappeared.

The reason for the loss of immunity has to deal with a rather simple concept: an organism has only finite resources, if it develops a immunity to a new threat, it is generally at a loss of some other traits. When anti-biotic was removed from their environment, the immunity no longer served them as a useful trait. And it becomes a burden rather than an asset, thus more pressing or needed traits are expressed while the immunity to the anti-biotic traits are turned off or lost.

We should only use anti-biotics only when we really need it. not for a simple cold or flue... The abuse of anti-biotic is another source of major concerns of the environment.

This is worrysome though...since I'm alergic to Cipro.
    Smilingcat

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    The superbug is tthe result of indiscriminate use of drugs from poultry farms, to big agri-business where they are using it in the feed for cattle for pig, even for fish/shrimp farms.

You should expect the bugs to develop immunity to the anti-biotic "toxins".

The interesting thing is that I think it was in Sweden where they have banned anti-biotic use in the feed and can now only be used if the animal is sick. Wtihin three years of the ban, the superbug disappeared.

The reason for the loss of immunity has to deal with a rather simple concept: an organism has only finite resources, if it develops a immunity to a new threat, it is generally at a loss of some other traits. When anti-biotic was removed from their environment, the immunity no longer served them as a useful trait. And it becomes a burden rather than an asset, thus more pressing or needed traits are expressed while the immunity to the anti-biotic traits are turned off or lost.

We should only use anti-biotics only when we really need it. not for a simple cold or flue... The abuse of anti-biotic is another source of major concerns of the environment.

This is worrysome though...since I'm alergic to Cipro.
    Smilingcat
    I find that info about Sweden very interesting, my doc was extremely concerned about the drug resistant staph infection I got from the spider bite. She said they had no drug that would work against it and was worried it would only get worse. It healed up within two weeks...I've eaten a primarily plant based diet for the last year and a half (no meat, eggs, dairy), I wonder if that helped me heal up??

Electra Townie 7D

Probly so, Queen. That and chocolate
    I don't even buy antibiotic dish soap.

Oh yeah please don't do the antibiotic detergent route.

[/on soapbox]Antibiotic resistant staph was my Ph.D. topic......

there's new antibiotics coming, a swiss company will get approval shortly for a new anti-staph drug but the most important things to do is to not use them for trivial infections, not ask for them against viral infections, use your course to the end if you get them, and ban them for livestock growth promotion....
    [/off soapbox]
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

My father died of MRSA -- 10 years ago on Monday. It was a six month, near-death, miraculous recovery, near-death cycle, until he finally succumbed.

I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    My father died of MRSA -- 10 years ago on Monday. It was a six month, near-death, miraculous recovery, near-death cycle, until he finally succumbed.

I miss him.
    Velogirl, I am so sorry for your loss. To lose your beloved poppa to such a thing is just mind boggling.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post

I miss him.
    Oh velo, my heart goes out to you. I didn't even know MRSA existed ten years ago!

The anniversary of my dad's death in a car accident is coming up on the 28th, so I can really empathize with how you are feeling now. I miss him so much, and it's even worse around this anniversary time. I know when it has been ten years, like you, I will miss him just as much.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

We use weak clorox to disinfect my cutting boards, knives ... in the kitchen.

One cap full (about tbs) of Clorox in about quart of water (2 to 3 ml/liter)and wash down your board. NFS guideline or general guideline taught at cooking school can't remember which...

I have a "wash" bucket with the Clorox solution. If you can smell the Clorox, its way too strong.

No need to buy those antimicrobial soap/detergent.

smilingcat

oh Veogirl, your loss is so heart breaking--and hits close to home. My son came down with a MRSA infection over the summer on a simple rugburn on his knee. He said his knee was near to sloughing off by the time he went to the doctor. They attacked it with a couple of powerful antibiotics and sent him home with cleansers and admontitions to wash, wash, wash everything thoroughly with soap (not anti-bacterial) at every opportunity. He pulled out of it within a couple of weeks. It is manageable at this point, but it was all so frightening. A friend of a friend lost a husband to MRSA a few years ago, so it is hard not to panic and to see it as happening everywhere...

thanks, everyone, for your sentiments.

in my father's case, he had severe RA and the drugs he was on to treat the RA compromised his immune system which is why he died. my mother and I also contracted MRSA from my father and both colonized it. both of us also had outbreaks after surgery, but neither of us died from if (well, at least I don't think I died from it).

serious stuff, but obviously more dangerous to those with weakened immune systems.