Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    While visiting a sick friend the other day we saw on their TV a news story about a guy who went ballistic during spin class because he didn't like the other guy's enthusiastic yelling and grunting. He attacked the guy and gave him a good shiner.
    It wasn't my spin class.

Maybe the attacker was on steroids? Some of those gym rats sure look like they are on them to me??

Another loud breather here. I have had asthma since I was a kid and I learned early on that it was easier to breathe during exercise if I pushed the air out fairly forcefully on the exhale rather than trying to suck in hard (which seemed to be somewhat panic inducing and would worsen the problem). I do it even if I'm current with the inhailer prescription, just out of habit. Also, getting into a steady rhythm with the breath seems to help me "get through" some particularly strenuous activities. I didn't realize people found that sort of thing irritating. hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Zeek... Can you post what forums you belong to you mentioned about the music? Or also any most helpful sites from your experience to aid in teaching?

I recently got Spinning certified to teach class. Wow, talk about a lot of information in one day. Even though I have never taught any kind of class before, I've already had one of the instructors approach me about taking over one of the classes on the schedule by splitting it with another lady who went thru the certification with me. I wasn't even sure there was such a need for help. Might not be such a bad way to start with having someone to share the spot with for rotation.

Besides trying to really figure out "what we are doing" in practice, we both seperately commented on what to do about music. Hopefully, if they don't throw their water bottles and towels at me, guess I'd survive stagefright! Thanks for any thoughts!
    Miranda please forgive me for not responding sooner--I just happened to see your post now. I find much of my inspiration on a forum that a Master Instructor (MI) from spinning told me about while I was attending a Continuing Education Course (CEC), www.innercycling.com. I've found the site to be incredibly useful and the members there are more than helpful. I also belong to the spinning.com website (their forum isn't very good, IMHO) but they do email monthly profiles and music lists if you are a paying member. THIS forum is ALSO incredibly helpful. Not just the spinning section but read the posts from real road riders to gain more insight about riding a real bike outdoors (I also ride outdoors). Spinning was first conceived by Johnny Goldberg (Johnny G) years ago after many years of training and miles in the saddle. Aside from being on rollers or a trainer, it's the closest thing we have indoors, to riding outdoors. That's important to remember when you teach your class. Keep it real. Don't stray from the principles. If you do, you'll end up like many others who turn spinning into "aerobics on the bike" and that's NOT what it's all about.

Have you taught your first class yet? The stage fright goes away after awhile. Give yourself some time and give your participants time to get to learn your style. I encourage you to get on the sub lists of as many facilities in your area as possible. This will help ease your nerves and will help you become more comfortable and self-confident up in front of a group of riders. Remember: they are there because they WANT to be there. And you can take it from there! Good luck!
    The Journey is the Reward.

Thx Zeek for the resource

Zeek... thx for the spinning site resource. No, I have not taught my first class yet. Unfortunately have some other stuff come up, gotta be on hold for now. But, I'll be reading and researching in the meantime. That's a good tip about getting on the sub list at other facilities. That would certainly be a training tool for stagefright. In some ways, it might be easier to teach in front of those I didn't know, vs ones that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Zeek... thx for the spinning site resource. No, I have not taught my first class yet. Unfortunately have some other stuff come up, gotta be on hold for now. But, I'll be reading and researching in the meantime. That's a good tip about getting on the sub list at other facilities. That would certainly be a training tool for stagefright. In some ways, it might be easier to teach in front of those I didn't know, vs ones that I do.
    I've done it both ways and I feel that teaching in front of folks you don't know is a little easier. Check back in on your progress as you go!

Wow THAT was FUN!! I did a spin class last night - my first. I am exhausted today - not sore, just TIRED. Those muscles got used!

How often should I spin just getting started? Should I listen to my body or press on even when I still feel achy and tired? I am training for a century in June and this is part of the training process since our weather stinks.

When I first started spinning, I went about every 3 days. I could have went more, but my butt was so sore! lol. Some days I thought I was ready to go back, and then as soon as I sat on the saddle all the soreness came right back! I would say go twice a week for 2 weeks or so and then up it from there. But I am not training in any way... just spin for the exercise and how it makes me feel. So just listen to your body...

Flybye glad you enjoyed your first spinning class. I would listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. You'll perform better in your next spinning class if you allow your body to rest and let your muscles grow.

Once you get accustomed to spinning, although I am not a Master Instructor (I am STAR 3 JGSI), I would say if you are in training for an event (and you said that you are) you may benefit from spinning 4X/week in different energy zones. But not until your body is ready for that. Do you have your aerobic base built back yet from the winter, or are you still in your aerobic base-building period?
    Last edited by Zeek; 04-03-2008 at 06:33 AM.